NF4 ultra, will not post.

All of those steps have already been completed. I had it set up on the foam pad, on my wooden desk with 1 HDD, vid card, 1 stick in orange slot, ps2 KB, and a 36+ hr clear following the steps to the letter. Yes, all 4 connectors were plugged in.

Forgot to mention, that the memory had been RMA'd, I know it works as I tried it in my computer at home. Tried a regular PCI card, no go.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many LED's do you get?

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System

º¿º

3 with a beep every 4 seconds. Points to the ram, I know. With the RMA on the ram and having tried most everything else, it tends to point me toward something hardware on the MB.

Is your Amber DRAM power LED light on?

You can’t get into the BIOS right?

The beeps are a; single long beep followed by 3 short beeps?

Or

A single long beep?

Try the other memory module then the yellow slots.

Post back.

Something else you can try is move the PCI-E video card to the second slot and change the SLI jumpers to x8. There will be no loss of video performance.

In my opinion after re-reading this thread again you may have shorted something out on the motherboard.

When you initial changed to the case and you unplug everything did you discharge the capacitors in the PSU to get rid of the residual power. This can fry your components.

Even when working on any components I pull the plug throw the rocker switch on the PSU, press the case power switch and wait a few minutes and press the case power switch again.

This does seem like overkill but I’ve learned. Also static discharge can be an issue. I ground my self to the case before touching the components or motherboard.

º¿º

I was pretty sure that I had tried the SLI thing before, but just in-case I tried it again, no go. I can't recall whether or not I discharged the caps before placing it in the case. Thinking back the problem didn't start until I had put everything in the case, so I'd say there's a strong possibility that your right. I knew about the grounding to the case and static, but had not heard about discharging the caps. Live and learn I guess.

So, I guess the next logical step is to RMA the MB?

Yes, the next step is to RMA the board while you're still in the NewEgg return period. I've always had good luck with the Egg and exchanges for defective product. In fact, if you're willing to give up your cc number again they will cross ship for you and then credit your account back once they've received the defective component. I've read through your thread over and over again since the first day you posted, and you have in good faith tried everything suggested to no avail.

All of your components are top notch, and there isn't any guarantee that you shorted something out while installing in the case. Of course it's a possibility, but it's also a possibility that you just flat out got a faulty board. I believe in good faith you can return the board and get a replacement.

Yeah, my personal experience with newegg return has historically been a good one. I actually had to send back the first nF2 board. :) I'll print up the RMA info and mail it out tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far guys. I'll post back when I get the new board back, before I plug anything in. :)

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

While you're waiting it'd be a good time to go back and re-read the NF4 build guide and also the Socket 939 overclocking guide. Both of those have excellent information in them regarding a successful build and setup of the

NF4 boards.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers.