Sign in to follow this  
berler

SATA controller issue in Master slots

This is a very weird problem.... I downloaded a hard drive checking utility from samsung (my hard drive is a samsung) and I always get errors if I put the hard drive in a master slot (primary master or secondary master, aka slots 1 or 3) but if I put it in a slave slot (2 or 4), I get no errors at all. Here is what it says in a master slot:

C: 11990 H:2 S:1 Error: Busy not clear

[repeating infinitely]

(depending on the slot its in this error happens at a different sector in the hard drive).

Also note, that if I use these bad slots to run windows, everything appears fine until it tries to read/write to one of these weird sectors, in which case it locks up for about 5 seconds and then reboots.

This is a very weird problem.... I downloaded a hard drive checking utility from samsung (my hard drive is a samsung) and I always get errors if I put the hard drive in a master slot (primary master or secondary master, aka slots 1 or 3) but if I put it in a slave slot (2 or 4), I get no errors at all. Here is what it says in a master slot:

[repeating infinitely]

(depending on the slot its in this error happens at a different sector in the hard drive).

Also note, that if I use these bad slots to run windows, everything appears fine until it tries to read/write to one of these weird sectors, in which case it locks up for about 5 seconds and then reboots.

I think this again relates to the uli controller issue. Like i said in a previous post it probably needs a new uli raid bios (not driver as it even happens in emulated ide mode) to fix this problem. Also check your event viewer to see if you have got any warnings/errors relating to the uli m5288.

The problem is that using these bad slots to boot windows has already caused my windows install to get corrupted a few times and forced a reformat. Using slot4 right now (secondary slave) has had no errors at all, not even in the windows event viewer.

I have updated to the newest beta bios. I have also tried raising all the voltages for the sb/nb etc. I am not overclocking at all, but what is very strange is that RAISING the sb voltage now makes smartguardian report much lower temps on the PWM IC. Still though, I can't find a fix to make my hard drive work in a master slot.

Not even i am overclocking yet. have you tried the sil image sata slots to see if you get the same results?

Although its doubtful that you will be able to see the drives with the samsung utility as i have tried also with my samsung spare 160gb sata1 drive

I tried hooking up the samsung drive to the sil3114 or whatever, and it had much much worse problems. It would detect the hard drive but then the program would crash (hard freeze) as soon as I tried to do anything like check the current settings or start a read test. I also tried using the jumper to force SATA I mode, same result on the sil. I'm now wishing that I had gone with the familiar NF4 chipset...