Watercooling

ne1n

Ok here goes:

I know there have been alot of water cooling threads here(i went back and read all of them), so your probably tired of all these questions. but anyways here goes: around christmas time i am going to go from air to water cooling. i want to do alot of research on this subject because im not quite educated on alot of it. my biggest fear is installing it all. becuase im not 100% on how to do it.

lets start with my system specs:

p4 2.8ghz @ 533fsb

512DDR kingston pc2100(i know i know it sucks. im looking into buying better ram)

radeon 9700pro

audigy 2 platinum

asus p4p800 w/ dualddr400

WD 80gb hdd

i have an xaser III v2000a case (its a big one, so im not worried about space)

Now. for sure what i want is to cool my cpu and gpu. but i hear people cool their northbridge. what exactly does this do. why do people do this? i figure i have 2 months to learn about water cooling before i go and install it. so i want to know every option i have. also i just want you guys to have a heads up. price is not really an option here. i would much rather spend 300-500$ on a good water cooling system, then waste 200$ on a bad one. CANADIAN MONEY

Does anyone know any good review sites i can look at to get an idea of whats good and whats bad out there. im leaning towards swiftech products. (im planning on buying all parts individually). but again, i have not alot of knowledge and i dont want to buy uneducated. so if you guys could post some review links it would appreciated.

also. whats the best way to set a water cooling system up. i was reading and people said they got the best performance by going waterblock > resvoir > pump > radiator > and back to water block.

what do you guys suggest. i really want to educate myself on water cooling. and for all of you who have water cooling. do you have any advice for me? what products do you suggest. im going to be overclocking. and i know im going to need water wetter and distilled water. so if you guys could just try to explain to me how all this stuff works. which blocks are better copper or acrylic. i think they are acrylic. i read the dangerden review on the site. it was clear. whats the best tubing for making it secure. best radiators. resovoirs and pumps. thanks for all your help in advance.

also if you would be so kind as to help me further my msn is [email protected]

thanks!

Criticool

Here is where I bought my stuff, and it is a Canadian Company. Also BigFootComputers has some individual products and they are based out of Ontario. So far my experiences with Dtek products has been good, I only use their Radiator, but it does a good job on cooling. Also with your case, you may have to drill out the bottom HDD tray in order to make a bigger rad fit. I had to to make the rad fit inside of the case and make it look good.

thanks for all the information guys. heres what im looking at right now

http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=510.25

but im also going to buy a chipset block and a gpu block. also, whats the difference between these two radiators and why is the 80mm more expensive?

80mm: http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=510.2

120mm: http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=510.2

i also want to get those pump relay switches. but does anyone know how they work. is it going to be hard to install? becuase i really want my water cooling to turn on with system power.

Edited by ne1n

personally if your going to be cooling a chipset, cpu, and gpu you are going to need more cooling than both of those. if your up to the task you could look into getting a heater core from a car, they are very good at dispersing heat and alot cheaper then if you get one from swiftech or another company that build it for computer cooling. plus you can get basically any size you want.

the dtek kit has a heatercore alot better than the rad in the swifty kit. ive heard of alot of problems with that pump that the swifty kit comes with. i think the flowmaster kit with the upgrade to the 300gph enheim here http://www.dtekcustoms.com/product.asp?3=102 with there northbridge block and a maze4 gpu block andf your set. the thing i like about the maze4 gpu block is it is recessed to fit inside that nasty shim on the 9xxx ati cards . also if you do go with the flowmaster get the tc4 cpu block over the spiral

the 80mm is more money because they know people that need to savee space will pay the extra bucks for the space saving and they dont sell as many as the larger rads so it keeps the prices inflated

the pump relays are great they come with instructons you jsut splice the wires from the pump wire them to the relay and psu either pci or theres one you can vcut a small hole beside the pci slots or anywhere on the back that plugs into the wall

well ive read alot of good reviews about swiftechs block. but yea ive read reviews saying the pump and radiator is bad. do you think i should get a dtek radiator with swiftech blocks. ugh.. this is confusing. should i just go with a crap resvoir? this swiftech fill/bleed thing is confusing the hell out of me. lets say you had 400$ CANADIAN to spend what would you spend it on and why. thanks guys for the help too btw!

there a serveral factors to consider.

i have swiftec blocks because they both, perform well and look the best out of anything else i've seen.

i have a mid tower case so i didn't have room for a big pump (went with swiftec again) or a dual radiator. one of those bulky single ones wouldn't fit all the well either. plus i don't want some rusty old heater core. it's a computer not a motorhome crapit.

BTW that a swiftec rad is neary i dentical to the aux transmission radiator i installed in my car.

the problem with the big 120mm swiftech radiator is that its big.. and ill have to drill holes in my case. and i dont really want to do that. i would much rather have a radiator to fit inside my case. but heres what im thinking.

http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/pro...TEM-630x476.jpg

two radiators. what do you think. but i see here that they are going waterblock > radiator > resovoir > pump. now.. thats not as good as going waterblock > resvoir > pump > radiator > waterblock correct?

anyways im slowly peicing this together.

Swiftech

MCW5000-P (cpu block)

MCW20 (chipset block)

MC50 (gpu block)

2xMCR80-F (2 possibly)(80mm fans)

Typhoon Quad Resvoir (if i get 2 radiators i will need this correct?)

ENHEIM 1250 centrifugal pump

and just 12ft 1/2" ID/OD (whats the difference. i see eheim pumps have 1/2" OD connectors)

ok now ive got some more questions. i want my watercooling to turn on with my computers power supply and off with my computers power supply. which would be achieved best. i would much rather go for the easiest option, im not much of an electrician and i dont want to tamper with wires really.

PCI pump relay:

http://www.vibecomputers.com/index.cfm?loc...if=n&vID=190671

could someone explain how this works to me? thanks!

also what kind of additives should i add to this water to prevent corrosion/algae.

thanks again for all your help!

also ill be putting this in a xaser III case. its got alot of space. i beleive for WC.

Edited by ne1n

the pci pump relay is good because, whenever you're computer is on you your pump will be too. you can also bypass the relay and run the pump with out power to the computer. which is good for testing the computer, bleeding air bubbles, etc.

for additves you need to add something in the way of, water wetter, anitfreeze etc. to prevent corrosion. also use distilled water. it doesn't conduct electricity.

tubing diameter is important with swiftec stuff because you fit the tube inside the waterblocks, unlike outside a barbe as with most components. tyagon and clearflex won't work since they're thicker then plane nylon tubing.