nforce drivers 6.86

No problems here. Though I never uninstall older drivers, I just install over the old ones in safe mode(uninstalling older sets causes problems for me so I avoid that). SMbus and IDE are all I use, havent tried the nv lan in quite some time.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am havinga little troublefinding out what versions of the drivers I actually have after loading the 6.86 package.....

Looking at the driver tab in device manager gives confusing information.

How do I tell if I have the 6.66 RAID controller driver loaded??

The last 3 digits on the driver file in the Device Manager Tab???

Is there a quick utility that I can run to give me a list of the currently loaded Nvidia chipset drivers??

Thanks for any help.

John

Am havinga little troublefinding out what versions of the drivers I actually have after loading the 6.86 package.....

Looking at the driver tab in device manager gives confusing information.

How do I tell if I have the 6.66 RAID controller driver loaded??

The last 3 digits on the driver file in the Device Manager Tab???

Is there a quick utility that I can run to give me a list of the currently loaded Nvidia chipset drivers??

Thanks for any help.

John

Yup, last three digits. I don't know of anything. Either device manager or system information.

I recommend installing the nVidia Storage(IDE) Drivers. They are much more mature than the earlier versions that gave some people problems.

I've been using the nVidia IDE drivers the whole time and haven't had a single problem.

The good thing is that if you do have errors or problems you can always use the "Roll Back Driver" feature to revert to the MS IDE drivers.

Roadie----do you know a way to check driver versions of installed chipset package?

The RAID stuff seems to all be the last 3 digits of the driver number in the driver tab of device manager....

While other drivers of other components in the chipset package seem to match up with the first four digits of the driver number in the driver tab of device manager....

And even other components in the chipset package don't seem to match up to anything listed in driver tab of device manager....

VERY confusing------do you know of a way to check to see if what I now have loaded matches up with what is actually in the 6.86 package?

Other people are correct in that this installer stinks----I've already updated two drivers (at least "update driver" in the device manager said they could be updated and found newer drivers in the 6.86 package I extracted with winrar).

Totally agree about the IDE driver-----it's very safe-----and I think faster.

One last thing----if you have a RAID system----do NOT uninstall all your old drivers first as recommended by just checking "remove all drivers except graphics" in add remove programs!!!

Doing so will remove a very importat little file called nvcchflt.sys----which will break your raid setup-------you can't reboot----you can't restore to an earlier version---nothing....

You can't even use the recovery console built into your install disk as it won't copy a file from a floopy or flash drive.

I finally restored my machine with a standalone, bootable recovery console I found on the net----and copied the nvcchflt.sys file off a floppy. You could use knoppix as well.....

They should warn RAID folks!

What a pain-----I'll bet these 6.86 drivers are excellent----and whomever set up the install package just plain dropped the ball----did you notice that the installer version in the 6.86 package was OLDER than the versio in the the 6.70 package....

Curious....

The only way I know of is to select each device and check the driver version there.

Some drivers seem to rely on the original Microsoft naming convention to display their version. That's why some are preceded by the Microsoft Windows XP "5.10.2600" code.

I recommend installing the nVidia Storage(IDE) Drivers. They are much more mature than the earlier versions that gave some people problems.

I've been using the nVidia IDE drivers the whole time and haven't had a single problem.

The good thing is that if you do have errors or problems you can always use the "Roll Back Driver" feature to revert to the MS IDE drivers.

Once you have installed the 6.86 package, is there some way to add just the IDE drivers - or do you need to completely re-install? I mean a complete re-install is not a big deal...

U can select just the IDE drivers when u run the setup

EDIT: Why does my sign dont show upp i have a good systemsign in usercp ???

when you post a reply you have to make sure that the show your signature check box is check its just 1 or 2 inch under the submit reply/ preview post buttons

I installed these drivers the day they were posted on nvidia's website.

First I uninstalled everything (Add/Remove Programs -> Nvidia Drivers -> Remove ALL nvidia drivers), then I ran DriverCleaner Pro and removed all the remaining traces.

I then proceeded to install them (I unchecked 'Nvidia Audio Drivers', they cause stability problems and BSODs on my rig). I also decided to stick with the MS IDE driver, since Nvidia's IDE SW seems unstable.

All seems fine, no probs whatsover.

P.s. A question: even after having declined the installation of the IDE SW drivers, on Device Manager -> IDE/ATAPI Controllers, the controllers' properties pages are NVidia customized... Is that right?

I have an NF4-D and just recently installed the nVIDIA 6.86 32-BIT drivers on Windows XP SP1 and only once i've noticed a black screen (not sure if it was before or after the WINDOWS SPLASH SCREEN) which i've never seen in my life with the 6.70 drivers. Also the nVIDIA Lan Port seem to take it's sweet time to connect, i'll have to wait for like 10-20 seconds. I'm probably going to test this further though, get back to you on this. :)