system reboot on any 3d !!!!

This is UNBELIEVABLE! No one from ATI or anywhere for that matter wants to help me.

This is a new build. Everything you see on sig is brand new. Did 2 months worth of reading/researching so that I get the right parts, and install everything the correct way. And its not my first build. So it all worked fine for 2 days, but now, I cant use the damn cards for any 3d???

As soon as I open any 3d application (game, 3dMak, etc) the machine reboots, then stutters for like 10 seconds while all the lights on everything start to fligger, then its on again. Even the red light on each card starts fliggering. What is going on here?

If you have ANY idea or quess (even if you are not sure), then please contribute here. Thanks in advance.

PS. I havent touched the bios, i only flashed it to the latest bios. Is it a must to manually set the memory there? What to do :confused: :confused: :confused:

Guest Kobalt

Did you run memtest86 yet?

Once you are in windows, did you give prime95 a shot?

If both of those pass with no errors, then I would run prime95 again, this time monitoring the voltages, and make sure those are OK.

Is this a clean install of XP? If not, I would consider doing that. Then install SP2, then the gfx drivers.

If still doesn't work, then only use 1 gfx card, and see what happens.

If that is fine, then try just the other one. If that is OK, then looks to be a power issue.

BTW, what does the BSOD say? (turn off the autoreboot on error, so you can read the BSOD message)

thanks Kobalt

No memtest86. Dunno how to. Tried to make bootable cd by burning the memtest .ISO on cd, and made cd-rom 1st bootable device from bios. No joy.

I'll disable auto restart. Its a fresh build with fresh os, and havent connected it to the internet.

Power maybe, but I have checked all the connectors and seems fine. Also the strange thing is that it was working for 2 days perfect. I was able to start games and any 3d app. Now I cant open any 3d. So power was fine before. And the PSU im using is recommended by ati for this setup.

I think this problem started after I did system restore about 3 times. Could this be the cause and maybe corrupted the graphics drivers?

Also I read that ccc 6.6 has issues with dell lcd's. But how come it was working for 2 days fine.

I did a torture test with prime95 and it rebooted and failed after 10 minutes.And I was running to prime95's since daul core. Something im confused about is this -> is it a MUST to setup the memory manually in the bios to get prime95 stable? cos I have not touched the bios. Only flashed it to latest bios, via dos, before windoews install.

And its not heat. cpu 27c idle 37c load. Chipset 42c.

also tried with single card, same.

Guest Kobalt

No need to burn a ISO or a floppy. memtest is an BIOS option in the genie menu.

I would run that overnight, or until you get an error.

Strange that is did work for 2 days with no issues. I guess it still can be a PSU issue, or maybe even a corrupted registry.

If in p95, your system reboots, that makes me think it is PSU issue, or your temps, or RAM issues, on rare occasions, I have seen corrupted system files cause that also, but usually, it is either PSU (voltages are off) or temps (which you said are ok) or bad RAM.

As for setting up memory, that depends, if you have it set to run the timings as set by SPD, then it should be ok. (That is where memtest comes in).

I know my board didn't like SPD settings, so I entered the data in manually, and all is fine, and can pass memtest & p95 for 24 hours + with no problems.

yes you need first verify your DDR, certinaly the timings you are using is not enough stable..

i have send you a PM with alink on thread on guru wehre friends have encounter sand slove many problems with Crossfire,.,., hope you will find something here weill help you..

Can yôu give too all the settings on bios u have use,., like this i can give a look to this,.. ( DDR timings, voltage, etc...)

There is a know issue with Xifi Soundcard.. they share the same IRQ as the seciond GPU.. try just desinstall the card and see if you encounter same problem...

This is UNBELIEVABLE! No one from ATI or anywhere for that matter wants to help me.

This is a new build. Everything you see on sig is brand new. Did 2 months worth of reading/researching so that I get the right parts, and install everything the correct way. And its not my first build. So it all worked fine for 2 days, but now, I cant use the damn cards for any 3d???

As soon as I open any 3d application (game, 3dMak, etc) the machine reboots, then stutters for like 10 seconds while all the lights on everything start to fligger, then its on again. Even the red light on each card starts fliggering. What is going on here?

If you have ANY idea or quess (even if you are not sure), then please contribute here. Thanks in advance.

PS. I havent touched the bios, i only flashed it to the latest bios. Is it a must to manually set the memory there? What to do :confused: :confused: :confused:

As you were told on rage 3d, its a problem with the cat 6.6 drivers and dvi dell monitors. Revet to 6.5 and it'll be fine.

As you were told on rage 3d, its a problem with the cat 6.6 drivers and dvi dell monitors. Revet to 6.5 and it'll be fine.

You sound like your 100% sure :cool:

Well i got news mate:

Well, I did a fresh windows install, installed ccc 6.5, followed tonies guide... Still same problem!

Now im starting to believe that it might be the PSU. But, My worry is, this:

How come it worked for 2 days??? Can it be that the PSU became faulty in those 2 days?!?! Man looks like I have to rma it...I just hope when I get the replacment that I dont have this issue, cos if I do, I wouldnt know what part is faulty, could be anything in there...and I will simply shoot myself

Is it possible that you confused the crossfire edition card and the regular card and swapped them? Don't they need to be run a certain way with the crossfire edition set to master? Just an idea... I don't know what else it could be.

no mate its in the right order.

I have done memtest86 and it fails after the first run... Cant tell which part is faulty. This is making me feel crappy...

EDIT: I just set my ram the way that tony said along with others help...But still no 3d...gonna rma the psu

Done more tests...

-no sound card, just two graphics card - same issue

-no sound card, just one graphics card - same issue

-no sound card, just one graphics card (switched the cards)- same issue

looks like it might be the psu. Will rma it. If they let me.

What should I say about the psu to the company I purchased from? I dont want them to tell me -> "Sorry, we can do that..."

Being in this position after paying LOADS of money is making me feel sick and ****ty.

Did some memtest86 runs. It fails after 30 minutes with same problem. Reboot then stuttering start up. I have tried the test with stock bios ram settings, and tony's bios setting...Doesnt make a difference...problem with both settings...

Now this is strange.... I mean does the system need loads of power for the memory test? Does this suggest that my ram is the faulty part?