Sign in to follow this  
berler

is it the Hard Drive or the motherboard?

When I try to install Office 2003, the computer hangs before it even begins to install (on the screen where u select the options for what exactly ur ganna install). The cd-rom spins up really fast even though it should not even be looking at the cd at that time.

The system event viewer shows the following (whenever I try this Office 2003 install):

about 4-6 times will show this error:

The driver detected a controller error on DeviceHarddisk1DR1.

and about once or twice shows this:

A parity error was detected on DeviceIdeIdePort1.

I've tried updating the bios to 04/25/2006 and that didnt solve the problem.

Also note that this is NOT the first time I have had issues with this comp (seems to be hard drive). On day 1, while formatting, it would crash before finishing the format. The only fix for this was to change my hard drive from being plugged into SATA slot1 to SATA slot4. When the hard drive is plugged into SATA slot1, I was getting random reboots. When in SATA slot4, it seems to sometimes get corrupted data (I had to reformat yesterday cuz tons of windows system files got corrupted when I tried to install WarCraft3) Plz someone tell me theres some motherboard drivers or something that will fix this.

Also note that I have often run full windows disk checks and it never found any problems.

EDIT: note that I'm using 64-bit Windows

How old is the hard drive?

PS, normally you leave it for 24 hours before you bump a thread. Atleast leave an hour!

the hard drive was brand new. And sorry about the bump, i just didnt see my thread on the list, but on second thought, maybe my browser just didnt refresh properly. (i'm a noob to forums)

Try Shdiag in the following link, check the other programs out aswell.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDr...ties/shdiag.htm

I tried that program, but when I run it, it does not detect my hard drive as being made by Samsung, so it does not let me run it.

EDIT: I tried the other program on that site, hutil, and it is running right now checking the hard drive (i'm on my alt comp now)

Another question I have is why would i get this?

A parity error was detected on DeviceIdeIdePort1.

I did some research online and it seemed to have to do with ATA hard drives... but my hard drive is SATA; I just have 2 dvd-drives on the IDE ports.

ok, I finished running samsung's hutil program, and it says my hard drive has no problems. So... now I guess its time to make sure my drivers are all correct. Are there any special 64-bit drivers that I might need?

As far as I can tell, I seem to have all recent drivers. The only thing i can think of is that I didnt install any raid drivers from a floppy when I did the windows install, but I'm not using RAID anyway, just 1 hd.