Which 120mm Fan? Panaflo, Aerocool, Arctic Cooling, SilenX?

michaelzhao

Yeah, I worked with the Silverstone's before, they were really quiet.

Now, a lot of these fans are very quiet. But if I want the fan that is near dead silent and is the indisputable most quiet which one would it be? Keep in mind, price is no object (unless it ridiculous).

Would it be the Nexus, the Yate Loon, the Silverstones?

I'm sorta leaning toward the Nexus, unless someone can confirm that a Nexus is really just an overpriced Yate Loon.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally went with two Panaflo 120mm fans and a fan controller but the noise was intolerable. Even on the lowest speed, they still emitted a dremel-like drone that drove me crazy. Leaving my comp on at night was no longer an option.

Went with the Nexus 120mm and haven't looked back. Sure the air flow is lower, but the silence is worth it.

If Yate fans are the same fans and cheaper, then go with them (I can't back this up though).

I got my Nexus fans here.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556054078.html

$15 each. Sold.

I went for a 120mm SilenX for my SI-120, even though at the time most people said to keep away from them. I have to say that I am nothing but impressed with their performance. It IS silent, and under load my CPU doesnt go above 38C.

I recently picked up a couple of Arctic Cooling 120mm fans cheap from NinDeals and when temperature controlled they are quite good also, but nothing out of the ordinary, at full speed they are down right noisey. (they do have a 6 year warrenty though if thats important)

Definitely go for the SilenX if you can (especially at a good price)... they also add a bit of bling to your system as a bonus :P

Think I'm going to all out and get the Nexus fans. I just need 1 for my heatsink anyways. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Before this thread, I heard of Nexus, but didn't know they were so good.

But thanks for informing me about the Yate Loons. I just want to be sure this build and make sure I get a really quiet fan. But the next time I upgrade my case fans (still stock) I will just get the Yate Loons. I have 3x120mm case fans to upgrade, so 3 Nexus fans will be quite expensive.

As for the SilenX, I'll buy a SilenX fan for my friend's birthday. He can be guinea pig...lol. I've worked with them before, and I thought they were really silent. But maybe I just didn't remember right. Anyways, I'll check on his SilenX fan.

As for "bling" in the system. No offence to anyone, but I HATE gaudy computers. I don't use the sleezed IDE cables that DFI gives you. I have a computer with no side window (more aluminum for my money). So, SilenX's green fan's have no influence over me whatsoever.

I've always felt, a pimped out system can never beat a system pimp at the heart.

tsk tsk....spending more than needed. :P

lol Null... fine... now that I think about your post. I finally just realized I'll be overspending by about 20 bucks. So on second thought, I'll maybe just match model numbers and get the Yate Loon's.

The Yate loons be good enough to work with a dual heatercore Rad from DD?

I think they are. "Praz" is using Nexus fans in his case and Yate Loon's on his radiator. So they probably CFM powerful and quiet enough to fit the task.

if you use jab-tech.com they carry 1 kind of yate loon and since ive been searching for loons they also have the lowest price. The D12SL-12 is probably your best bet especially hooked up to a fan controller.

if you use jab-tech.com they carry 1 kind of yate loon and since ive been searching for loons they also have the lowest price. The D12SL-12 is probably your best bet especially hooked up to a fan controller.

Do you have any recommendations for a good fan controller? They usually only take up 1 drive bay right?

And also, someone before mentioned that the Nexus are higher quality, is that true? I mean its the same model number, how high of a quality can you get with the EXACT same fan?

Do you have any recommendations for a good fan controller? They usually only take up 1 drive bay right?

Check this thread

And also, someone before mentioned that the Nexus are higher quality, is that true? I mean its the same model number, how high of a quality can you get with the EXACT same fan?

They're subjected to a higher quality control standard. Nexus fans also spin at a lower rpm.