Which 120mm Fan? Panaflo, Aerocool, Arctic Cooling, SilenX?

michaelzhao

I would like an ultra quiet 120 mm fan.

I'm leaning toward the SilenX fan. I've always had agreat experience with SilenX, usually good CFM's and always EXTREMELY quiet.

But I would like your input. This 120mm is going to be on a heatsink. Either the XP-120 or the Big Typhoon. I may buy a 92 mm fan if I buy the Zalman CNPS 9500.

The Panaflos are usually very quiet. I've also bought a few Silverstone fans for a friend. They were relatively quiet.

But if I want a near silent computer. Should I just buy the SilenX fans?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest the Silverstone FM121 fans. they move a lot of air even at low RPM's and you really have to be listening for them to hear them. I have a 92mm Thermaltake Silent Cat and it is very quiet and keeps my processor cool. I only hit 38 with load and the xp-90.

For quiet you can't go wrong with either Yate Loon or Nexus. The Nexus is a rebadged Yate Loon that has a lower rpm and better quality control. Once in a while a Yate Loon will click but for the price you can just buy a couple of extras. I use the Nexus fans in my case and the Yate Loon on the radiator.

I just posted this in the other heatsink thread.

Please don't buy the SilenX fan.

Buying a SilenX 120mm fan that advertizes something ridiculous like 1500-2000 RPM under 20 dB is like buying an 800 watt rosewill PSU that advertizes 20 amps on the 12v rail. Someone may buy their rosewill 500+ watt PSU and say it works just fine when they use it on their stock load system with a cheap processor, asus mobo, value ram, 1 hard drive and ati x300se graphics card that is used for email and web browsing. Well most modern PSUs would work well on that, but that doesn't mean the PSU doesn't still suck.

Just like someone may buy a silenx fan and put it in a case with three 2000 RPM 120mm fans, a loud PSU, a loud chipset cooler and say "it's perfectly quiet to me". The only time it's recommended as a fan that is quiet is usually by people who have systems that sound like mine does with all the fans @ 12v. Or, from people who haven't heard fans of the same RPM that are advertized at say 22 dB, not 11 dB. If you put a silenx fan and an antec/panaflo/whatever fan of the same size and RPMs next to each other, even if they sound almost the same the silenx will usually have a dB rating 10 dB less than both of them to fool you. It may be quiet but it certainly isn't as quiet as SilenX leads you to think it is.

Technically it can be under 20 dB, but whereas say Antec will measure their fan from a few inches away with the mic, Silenx will measure it from the other side of the room. It's deceptive marketing at its best, but it is allowed. Just as we shouldn't believe PSU ratings from unproven manufacturers, and as we shouldn't believe that 20 lbs 5.1 channel receiver at best buy can put 100 watts into five 8 ohms speakers at once, we shouldn't believe a 120mm fan that runs at a certain RPM level can be 11-14 dBs unless trusted sources prove it can, and unless there is good reason(new design/technology) that allows them to.

Their testing methods are bull crap, any review that has tested their fans against others such as silentpcreview can prove that their noise specs are exaggerated. I'm telling you this because I was stupid enough to buy a 2000 RPM thermaltake 120mm fan and actually thought it'd be close to 21 dB when I got it, as it was rated for.. it is when I leave the room and close the door.

So long as manufacturers don't have to provide ratings such as was the fan used as an exhaust fan in a case, or inside a tuniq tower heatsink(which would allow the case and the heatsink to trap the noise), was it outside the case close to the mic or in the case far away from the mic(say across the room), these ratings mean nothing. If it seems too good to be true, it is. SilenX does not make a magic fan that defies physics and current fan/motor technology, they use deceptive marketing. While it may be comforting to believe the former, it's far from the truth.

Are you guys serious? The Yate Loons are like 5 bucks each, and they are really quiet too? Wow... I'm amazed.

So a Nexus fan is actually just a Yate Loon? The Nexus is 29 bucks while the Yate Loon is 5. If thats true, then I'm definitely going with Yate Loon.

What about these, any experience:

GLOBALWIN 120X25MM SILENT NCBEARING FAN 41.7CFM 19DBA

http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/1202512l.html

or

COOLER MASTER TBF-B12-E1 120X25MM TRI-BLADE FAN 31.72CFM 19.8DBA

http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/tbf-b12-e1.html

I'm thinking of using 2 of these on my external radiator water cooling system I'm building. Looks like the globalwin has better specs???

What about these, any experience:

GLOBALWIN 120X25MM SILENT NCBEARING FAN 41.7CFM 19DBA

http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/1202512l.html

or

COOLER MASTER TBF-B12-E1 120X25MM TRI-BLADE FAN 31.72CFM 19.8DBA

http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/tbf-b12-e1.html

I'm thinking of using 2 of these on my external radiator water cooling system I'm building. Looks like the globalwin has better specs???

I'm not meaning to be an butt**** or anything. But please don't hijack other people's threads. Thanks...