Sign in to follow this  
michaelzhao

Painting a Case, few questions...

What kind of paint do you use?

How do you finish with the high gloss that a lot of cases seem to have?

How do you paint around fan holes and such?

Where do you buy the paint? Home Depot or a hobby store?

How do you put final touches on the paint, using a brush? If so, what kind of brush?

I'm an absolute noob to painting. I don't know anything about types of paint or stuff.

Thats a nice tutorial but really does anyone want to spend a month painting a case...2 weeks allowing the paint to set...and all that, I mean dont get me wrong thats an amazing paint job...but is there something that works a little faster?

I guess you could just go for something about 1/4 as good as what this guy is doing...and that would take like a week or two?

For the fastest best results...use a clearcoat-basecoat system....

The key to a good paint job is in the prep work... If you have a good finish now just lightly scuff it and use a good grade primer/sealer then use the base and clear from the same brand....

Use a fast dry for best reasults and follow the can instructions....light coats and let the paint "flash" before recoating...

these work very well with spray cans....you dont have to san in between coats as long as you recoat after the paint flashes...then for a mirror finish...that it all hand finessing....

I use Miguires cutting and buffing compounds...I sand with 600 working my way to 1500grit and finish it with polishing compound....

It is alot more work cutting and polishing than painting...you can paint a case start to finish in a weekend....but the paint will be soft for upto 30 days...so dont set anything on it for a while...

....i could blow u some acrylic enamel automotive paint on there like a mirror with no buffing in any color u want. about an hour to strip the case down about an hour to DA it, about an hour to prime and sand it, and about 15mins to paint it...overnight to dry. to get fancy and basecoat/clearcoat using different colors and taping in between would take a couple of more hours probably and run ur paint costs up depending on if the local supplier is willing to sell by small quantities like pints....if u knew an auto painter you would be in buisness. hobby paints, rustoleum type enamels, and puff can paint will look like a turd in no time. unfortunately paying someone u dont know to do a jam up job will cost u..i'd charge at least 200$ for perfection and maybe more for a complex basecoat/clearcoat multicolor design....but if i knew u i'd do it for materials heh...monotone probably 50$...base/clear probably close to 100$ depending on how many colors and if i could get small quantities of paint.... but thats my opinion...a quality paint job and painter is hard to find.

Well, I don't really want any designs. I just want a solid color. I'm thinking a just a different color. Would it be less if it was one solid color with a high gloss job?

I also have a case without any side windows, just 1 side intake fan. So its a fairly straightforward paintjob. How much would that run me? I can provide the materials, just need the labor cost.

Guest Blooz1

S7A88Y, it's obvious you've never actually used vinyl dye. It's a dye, not paint, and doesn't work on metal.

On the other hand, it does work great on plastic parts, as it will actually soak into the plastic! I use thin coats, and let them dry in between - this takes no time at all. Once you're done, if the plastic is scratched lightly, it won't even show!

Clearcoat isn't necessary, unless you happen to want a glossy finish. I've used vinyl dye on many modding projects, and highly recommend it over paint for plastic!