Sign in to follow this  
Liquidfire

Couple simple questions about raid 0

Ok thanks for anyone who can point me in the right direction, been a dfi fan for a while now, and been using these boards for just as long.

Im about to get a couple new HD's im almost positive i will be goin with 2 WD Sata II 250Gb ks drives.

I want to put them in Raid 0 and my questions are:

1: Is it stable enough to have windows installed on a raid array? and are the benefits noticable/worth it.

2: Would getting a Raid specific drive with TLER be worth the extra cash? if somone could explain a lil of what TLER does that would be fantastic

any other info people would care to throw in to make the experiece a lil bit easier would also be greatly appreciated.

are there still hassles with installing the nvraid drivers? i remember the ide controller used to have issues and i believe it was the raid drivers were the others that had problems.

raid is faster than 'just' one hard drive

if one of the hard drive fail.. your memory on the other drive is kaput..unless you back up or image the drive..

raid sounds nice if you play games.. the load time is shorter etc etc..

just dont store anything important like pictures on it

I would say it is stable enough and it is faster for sure.I been running raid 0 set up with 2 hitachi sata 11 3.0 drives for 1 1/2 years and not had a crash yet.

Now to spend the extra money on a TLER drive is up to you.Ill include a link you can get a bit of info on the TLER drives and what it does.

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial...12c03/12c03.asp

I would say it is stable enough.I been running raid 0 set up with 2 hitachi sata 11 3.0 drives for 1 1/2 years and not had a crash yet.

Now to spend the extra money on a TLER drive is up to you.Ill include a link you can get a bit of info on the TLER drives and what it does.

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial...12c03/12c03.asp

Someone beat me to it

there used to be more problems with raid0 several years ago when raid was first being integrated onto mobos and after playing around with it for awhile i learned that raid1 gives almost the same performance as far as what u notice however you dont double the drive space it only equals the size of one drive in the array ...anyway raid1 isnt talked about much becoz of the space issue. all i can say for sure is that instaling the operating system on a raid settup gives ALOT more performance...its noticeable for sure. You take a chance with raid0 imo but with todays backup software like ghost or acronis true image i would say its not as much of a risk as it used to be. The drivers? just load them at f6 its no big deal. My opinion on the ide driver is its alot better than it was before just get the latest one but really i would NOT install it when prompted but just see if everything works fine without it and later if you have issues install it. Be sure if your going to install to a raid array there is no other hd attached to the system until after windows and all the drivers are installed...then plug them in. TLER i know nothing about but windows+raid=awesome performance.

ok so it looks like newegg screwed me over real nice, they seperated my order up and processed 1/2 of it and then the other 1/2 got declined so i lost prefered free rush, and no payments 6 months.....let me tell you ive royally given them a speaking to. Not to mention the reason it was declined was because they have failed to process my credit yet even tho it says it was finalized last week.

So this now leaves me with a couple final questions i guess.

1: Would there be a noticable increase if i decided to go with a raptor in raid 0 instead of the reg ol 16mb buffer caviar? noticable enough to compensate for the extra 160 bux for 360 less gigs? (doubtful)

2: Do you setup partitions differnt for raid arrays opposed to regular config? reccomendations on what to do here?

3: Can you do raid 0 with 3 drives? or does that somehow not bridge over the 2 sata controllers.

I wanted to attempt RAID 5 with 3 300GB volumes... so I'd have the speed of RAID 0 and the redundancy of RAID 1, however my hardware only supports RAID 0, 1, and 0+1. RAID 0+1 requires a minimum of 4 volumes... so I was out of luck. I ended up running RAID 0 on two volumes, and left the 3rd disk for any type of multimedia or "important" information in case something happens. I do weekly backups, so I guess I could have just done RAID 0 on all 3 drives. Oh well...