Sign in to follow this  
OmniStrata

SLI performance vs. Price... Need some benches...

Hello again...

This one is in relation to SLI Performance setups and if anyone can test this for me thanks a ton!

Right now there are 2 sli setups I'm considering in the future [very near future hopefully]...

One involves 2 7600 GT KOs, both superclocked by eVGA themselves hopefully stable...

or

2 7600 GS. They run slower, but have the same # of pixelpipes and the best part is that they can run using only heatsinks... [no fan noise EVAR]

My question is, would going the extra $90+ more be worth the performance increase?

I'm going to simply assume that most people will just slap me with a trout an say YESS!!!

But 7600 GTs KOs universally are somewhat buggy from reviews I've read [i'm an eVGA fan but I read up on others and they're not perfect either]

Should I go the risk of possible instability and spend $90 more hoping for a super powered performance increase?

Or go with what's safe for more noiseless performance?

I'm feeling that I should gun for the GT KOs... Your thoughts?

do you absalutely need Sli? when you upgrade.. you gotta replace both(evga exchange program ...)

if the product you think is defect... why not take a look at the Ati(1900xt,1800..) selection..dont be a fanboy.. you might loose performance gains

what resolution are you gaming at?HG said that 1900xt (or xtx? ) is more than 'ample' for 17"

SLI has more reliability and as far as 'access' goes, more games have sli stamped on them vs. x-fire.

It's not about being a fanboy, since more support is for SLI, I don't have much choice in the matter... X-fire is said to be harder to setup as well but as far as fanboy-ism is concerned, that's not the issue...

I'm now leaning toward the 7600 GS since as a video editor, I need silence listening to my music to synchronize my footage.

That and I rarely play with my resolution different from my desktop res. [1024x768]

So I suppose going the extra $90 isn't gonna be worth it in the end anyway... Any other ideas?

I think he meant purchase a single card from Ati, as they have a couple that fall in your price range - namely the X1800XT and X1900GT. Not sure about the GT, but the X1800XT is a very, very good card and can be had for ~$250, which apparently is what you're shooting for.

Nothing against the 7600s by any means, but I feel this would be a better solution. Overclocked Sli 7600GT's might be better than a single overclocked X1800XT...but not by much I'll bet.

I suppose the only downside with any Ati option is noise...you'd have to put an aftermarket heatsink on to reduce it during any heavy gaming/3d app. At idle it's not terribly loud though.

Anyways, for your two choices I'd go with the KO's for sure. I don't believe in this 'passive cooling' crap. You'd still need good airflow, and if that's too loud I imagine you should look into a Zalman passive watercooling system.

why not just buy one 7900gtx 512.and by the way that extra 90 bucks youll never see the difference between the two.go with the little cheaper little extra clock doesnt give that much in gains in fps.If you really want extra fps go with stronger cpu clock speeds.Ive seen 30 fps jumps with 100mhz increase cpu speed.

I think the question comes down to:

Will I need it?

Passive cooling is the ultimate in terms of noise performance [hah, beat that!] and from other reviews I've read, you can still overclock and what little noise I do have coming from my pc, it's well venilated with 3 120mm fans chugging along at barely 1700 rpms... SLI is something that I've read at my editing site does affect render speed alongside a dual core processor...

No way do I want to consider 2 7900gt kos or anything like that, I play all my games at 1024x768. I don't need high resolution to kill people online... :rolleyes: The price tag to play at that performance is also moot since anything past 60 fps really isn't noticeable except to these super hero people who claim to notice differences between 90 and 120 fps. [though when tested, they failed each and every time lol]

I'm not uber rich by any means, and as a budget overclocker, I don't want to pay FX style prices for something that's you know, reasonably affordable...

7900s therefore are out the window...

As far as price / performance goes, seems more of you are kicking me toward the GT KO route...

If that's the best price/performance ratio, then I SHALL go for it, 2 7600 GT KOs then and I'll simply overclock them myself by copying the SUPERCLOCKED specs version of the same card...

Besides, 2 7600 GT KOs in SLI... For about $320, I've seen worse deals [this includes rebates...] and worse card combos...

I've read this is also the upper mid range level for budgets...

$100-$125 for low-mid enders

$125-$150 for middle of the roads

$150-$175 for upper-middle enders

$175-$200+ for high end performance

$200-7950X2 for the people with nothing better to do with their money [who should donate to my poor butt lol]

Thanks then! 7600 GT KO it is! :cool:

Well Sli would have benefits over a single card 7600...but I imagine a 7900GT would render faster than a pair of 7600s no problem.

Suit yourself though. :)

2 gpus vs. 1 gpu

I don't think it'd be worse and what's more, I can't get 2 7900gts [i want a full setup, but that's just my taste...]

although looking back, I wish I did since only 7900s use the pci-e plugs in my psu from what I can tell...

Currently, my 6800gs co superclocked is overclocked further from 490mhz core 1.1 ghz memory to 510mhz core and 1.2 ghz memory. Any faster and I get rips and tears in my gaming surfaces...

It's ok, but I get some ugly dips in fps when playing guild wars with 24 people slashing at each other. For CS and NWN and Morrowind, alls well it seems...

For my needs and practicality, 2x 7600gt ko seems perfect... And as far as games go for the while, I figured after checking, that I shouldn't really need to upgrade for a while...

After all, 7600 gt ko? For the price one pays, it's NOT a crappy card by any means...:eek:

if you don't play in 1600x1200 or higher resolution then dual-gpu's (whether SLI or Crossfire) is a waste of money

I've got X1900XT Crossfire but I only play at 1280x1024 on my 19" LCD...and I've got the second card downclocked to 500/500 just so it doesn't generate any heat and have disabled Crossfire in the drivers and am using a single X1900XT

there's just no sense wasting money on a second gpu, no matter how cheap it is, unless you play 1600x1200 or higher resolutions.

Period.

if you don't play in 1600x1200 or higher resolution then dual-gpu's (whether SLI or Crossfire) is a waste of money

there's just no sense wasting money on a second gpu, no matter how cheap it is, unless you play 1600x1200 or higher resolutions.

Period.

Agreed - I used to play HL2 on my old BFG6600GTOC at 1024x768 and get ~60fps... which is lots enough for me. I'm currently using the Dell 24" Widescreen (1920x1200) - So I "upgraded" to the 7800GS - which is way too much memory card as it is, just so I could upscale 1280x1024 for the LCD. More than this for me would be overkill.

However you hardcore junkies who play at 16x12++ with all the eyecandy enabled might just have good reason to buy that SLI rig.

Though I question sometimes the time and money people spend on their computers (people = predominantly guys) - you might invest in something more practical maybe, like - a car? For the price of an SLI rig, I could probably get you a decent late model import. Might improve your dating prospects too - girls like guys with cars and tans, not pasty, malnourished guys who can clame the most frags in their Quake Clan.

P.S. Yes, I was kidding about the last part. I have the most frags in my Quake Clan. Nah-Nah. But I also have a car.

I'm currently using the Dell 24" Widescreen (1920x1200)...

now see

if I had the Dell 24" monitor, I'd have Crossfire enabled and it clocked until the pcb was close to melting because that monitor is DEFINITELY what SLI/XFIRE was created for...thats the kind of setup that begs for SLI/XFIRE...seriously...

but I'm like you in the sense that I spend my money on things other than computer stuff these days (helps that i get most hardware for free now).

But I never begrudge anyone's spending habits...guys who buy SLI stuff keep the cutting-edge alive, and they keep me and others in our jobs lol

now see

if I had the Dell 24" monitor, I'd have Crossfire enabled and it clocked until the pcb was close to melting because that monitor is DEFINITELY what SLI/XFIRE was created for...thats the kind of setup that begs for SLI/XFIRE...seriously...

but I'm like you in the sense that I spend my money on things other than computer stuff these days (helps that i get most hardware for free now).

But I never begrudge anyone's spending habits...guys who buy SLI stuff keep the cutting-edge alive, and they keep me and others in our jobs lol

LOL True,

hehe

im running a single 6600GT, and i remember when i was choosing my vid card, 2 6600GT was doing the same score has a 6800Ultra, 2 6600GT cost the same price that the 6800Ultra (about this time last year) but you get double noise and double heat because you have 2 card,

i would stick with 1 GPU is you are playing 1280*1024 or less, like im doing, SLI and Xfire for guys like me is just a bling bling stuff and a wate of money, while i could get a Opetron or someting better with that $