Sign in to follow this  
jm76

High end GFX card advice pls

If you really need all those HD's/Optical drives, i would say get one of those OCZ 600W/700W GamerXstream. Now if you're just going to use a harddrive, optical, and have your soundcard and video card, you might be fine with that HE 550W. Just to be safe get yourself what i recommended and make sure you test everything (Processor and Memory) before anything else. Maybe you might even need to reformat, this is still not clear to me, so i won't know at this time... :)

Yeah, at this time it is necessary to run all the components in my sig since this is a dual purpose machine (play and contracting work). After playing with a PSU calculator it looks like the X1900XT puts me pretty close to the max output of the Neo HE 550W especially if you take in consideration a surge when the system boots...

Remedy

GPU -- I don't know if I trust this Sapphire X1900XT since I was having trouble getting it to run when I minimalized the number of components connected to the PSU so I'm looking at replacing it with a different brand and at this moment it will probably be a HIS X1900XT.

PSU -- This is a more interesting issue since I'm looking at building a new system in a few months that is purely for play and retiring this current system to work only...At that time I want the new system to have the capability of running Crossfire and the CPU will either be a Conroe or Opty depending on what sort of mobo support there is for the Conroe and how well it actually performs. If I was to run my current system with an Opty 165 mildly overclocked and 2 X1900XTs in Crossfire I'm concerned that even an OCZ GameStream 700W will be pushing it considering that the PSU Calculators show a system wattage of ~680W...What is everyone's thoughts on this?

TIA,

Jim

get a Sapphire x1900 xtx, cheaper and great. No problems at all, just the fan noise if u are going to use the stock fan. for fix that problem get a aftermarket fan and start OC this baby!

If I had gone with the ATI card (don't trust the drivers), it would have been a Sapphire. But as you can see, I chose to go with the nVidia card instead.

After doing many hours of research, I believe that XFX (They gave me a beautiful girl with it, Lara Croft, Tomb Raider - Legend.) is the way to go. They came out on top and I have not had any problems with my setup.

Lol...You opened up the can of worms again for me and made me question my decision about getting an X1900XT instead of a 7900GT/GTX. Now I'm sitting here and rethinking it all again -- either way I still need a more power PSU and I'm leaning toward the OCZ GameStream 700W.

But then this brings up another question -- Will this all fit in my little old Super Lanboy case or do I need to start looking into a new case that will go into my future build?

Arggh, I thought I had all of this figured out yesterday morning...

Jim

Lol...You opened up the can of worms again for me and made me question my decision about getting an X1900XT instead of a 7900GT/GTX. Now I'm sitting here and rethinking it all again -- either way I still need a more power PSU and I'm leaning toward the OCZ GameStream 700W.

But then this brings up another question -- Will this all fit in my little old Super Lanboy case or do I need to start looking into a new case that will go into my future build?

Arggh, I thought I had all of this figured out yesterday morning...

Jim

Hey Jim,

Sorry to cause you so much consternation, but I researched the devil out of these things and with a bunch of help from these guys and gals on the Street, I made some good choices.

I personally would go with the OCZ Powerstream 520W, since is a proven commodity.

As for your case, you should do some research on the older Super Lanboys to see what people say about it. My case is a tower and I would like a bit more space, but I just limit what I install. My DVD-Writer works well with CD's and DVD's and I have two HDD's installed.

Good luck!

I personally would go with the OCZ Powerstream 520W, since is a proven commodity.

I personally would go with the 600w OCZ GamerXStream that is now produced by Fortron and many many many many of us here in the forums are buying them so quickly OCZ has a hard time keeping the production up lol

not that the 520w Powerstream is not a hardcore reliable tough psu...but the new GX psu's from OCZ are even better, AND they have true 4-way 12v split rails (18A on each of the 4 different 12v rails)

I personally would go with the 600w OCZ GamerXStream that is now produced by Fortron and many many many many of us here in the forums are buying them so quickly OCZ has a hard time keeping the production up lol

not that the 520w Powerstream is not a hardcore reliable tough psu...but the new GX psu's from OCZ are even better, AND they have true 4-way 12v split rails (18A on each of the 4 different 12v rails)

Glad to hear from you on the subject, H_G. Thanks!

Hopefully it will be some time before I will require a new PSU, however.

I'm leaning toward the 700W OCZ GameXstream so I don't have to buy a new PSU with the next upgrade and I'm thinking I'll go with a HIS X1900XT for the replacement of the Sapphire X1900XT and see how it all goes... As for the case I'm still not sure what I'm going to want to build with next so I'm going to put it off for now and hope I can find somewhere to stash all of the extra cables in my Super Lanboy.

Thanks everyone,

Jim

I'm leaning toward the 700W OCZ GameXstream so I don't have to buy a new PSU with the next upgrade and I'm thinking I'll go with a HIS X1900XT for the replacement of the Sapphire X1900XT and see how it all goes... As for the case I'm still not sure what I'm going to want to build with next so I'm going to put it off for now and hope I can find somewhere to stash all of the extra cables in my Super Lanboy.

Thanks everyone,

Jim

look in my sig

thats the rig i run every day and have been gaming the lights out on Oblivion, Titan Quest, and very soon Prey ;)

I dont even use the second X1900XT...it's practically disabled (downclocked as far as I can get away with to generate no heat) and my main X1900XT is clocked from 625/650 stock to 745/846 on water ;)

Thanks for the patience and recommendations everyone.

I've just placed an order for OCZ GameXstream 700W from SVC (their last one -- seems to be a hot commodity and yes the order was placed through the DFI yahoo store link).

Since I don't know if it was gpu, gpu/psu, or psu problems I'm RMAing the GPU as well and going with a HIS X1900XT IceQ3 from NewEgg.

I'm going to hold off on the case decision until these items come in and I see if I can hide the extra cabling or not.

If I do have to look into a new case what is everyone's opinion of the new Thermaltake Armor with 25cm side panel fan? Either the VA8003BWS ( http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chas...r/va8003bws.asp ) or the VA8003SWA ( http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chas...r/va8003swa.asp ). I like the look of these better than the CM Stacker but they still have similar cooling designs.

TIA,

Jim

Hopefully your troubles are now behind you. You should be happy with both items. I know for me it was a worthwhile upgrade to go from the PowerStream 520 to the GameXStream 700. And the 1900xt IceQ3 is just awesome. I have mine clocked at 500/600 for non gaming with the fan at 27%. Core temperature runs 43-43C and the fan isn't audible. For gaming I have it set at 680/810. Both settings are using stock 3d voltage settings. Truthfully I have no idea what max might be for these cards once voltages are tweaked.

Sign in to follow this