Sign in to follow this  
jm76

High end GFX card advice pls

I was following MadShrimp's overclocking guide when I had the screen go blank on me...I can't get this thing to run at stock speeds with ATItool as it is which has me rather confused.

I'll try the Omega drivers instead of the ATI ones and see if that clears any issues up but I'm wondering if I have a dud.

Jim

Don't even bother with the ATI TOOLS just yet. Use the CCC and enable the Overdrive for now to see how it performs. ATI TOOL is not for beginners, well sort of. See how this turns out for you.

I first let CCC do a clock and it found a supposedly stable clock that wasn't stable in Oblivion -- problem is that whenever I tried to set frequencies in CCC manually they would never stay the same as inputed...

Right now I'm going to disassemble my system and try setting it up with minimum components running and see if it's related to draw from the power supply.

Jim

You do have the stock cooler on your X1900 right? You better either use OVERCLOCKER.exe from ATI or use some other utility to put that fan at 100% because once your video card gets hot you'll start to have issues like what you're talking about. So you have an HE 550W from Antec eh, yeah try to disconnect DVD/CD-R burners since that PSU isn't going to cut it for you man with all that components you're running which is mainly your issue. Why don't you invest into a high performance more stable PSU, like the new OCZ GamerXstream 700w??? :)

ATITool is tricky at best .I wear the reset button out when testing with it.

Well, I think I might have a bad card...Just disassembled and only have the minimum connected to the PSU and now it won't even boot...I'm stuck on 2 LEDS which implies a VGA isn't detected.

Jim

Don't hold me to this because i havent received my Ultra-D yet, so i dont know how well it will play, but i have that same PSU and it is running my current rig with no problems. I have 1 less HDD but i have a dual core so i assume that the power consumption will be roughly the same.

Number 1 thing i would suggest, is what Mack said, and use OVERCLOCKER.exe from ATi to crank your fan speed up. I would probably put it to about 76% because i think any higher and thats when the whining starts. Then use CCC to ramp up your card.

problem is that whenever I tried to set frequencies in CCC manually they would never stay the same as inputed...

I think you are referring to the Requested and Current clock speeds. The Current clock speeds are the 2D speeds so the card remains cool and quiet during non 3D application. The Requested clock speeds are the speeds that CCC will ramp the card up to when it detects a 3D app, like a game or benchmark. Quite a few people got scared when they 1st got this card because they could never see that the requested clocks were being used. Rest assured, they are. If you have any doubts, try hooking up a second monitor and leaving CCC open on the other monitor. You will see the clocks change.

I can't get this thing to run at stock speeds with ATItool as it is which has me rather confused.

The thing to remember, you might have done it, but you might not have, is that ATiTool does not automatically change the voltage of the card. 2D mode lowers the Voltage and clock to remain cool and quiet, while the 3D mode ramps up the voltage and clocks to hit the higher speeds. While using CCC does this automatically, ATiTool has to be set up to do it, that is why its not recommended to use ATiTool until you are more familiar with the workings of your card.

Keep us posted on how its working for you. GL :D

Well, I think I might have a bad card...Just disassembled and only have the minimum connected to the PSU and now it won't even boot...I'm stuck on 2 LEDS which implies a VGA isn't detected.

Jim

Did you remember to hook up the 6 pin PCI-E connector when reassembling? Just making sure because its sometimes overlooked.

Lol...yes the PCI-E cable is connected. One of the reasons I was rearranging my power output is that Antec Tech support recommended that the VGA card is run on it's own rail...For the 550 NE HE that means that nothing but the PCI-E can be connected to the 3,4,5 slot on the power supply (i.e. no other modular cable can be plugged into any of those slots) -- sort of makes this PSU useless if I can't use the other two plugs.

Needless to say I've got myself confused, but I'm going to try reseating/replugging everything.

***EDIT*** Just put my 7600GT back in and I'm up and running...Have to assume it's either the card or a combo of the card and PSU --ugh.

Jim

Did you do a full format in between switching from nVidia to Ati? Or at least use driver cleaner to get rid of all the remenants of the nvidia drivers before putting in the 1900?

That 7600 takes a 4pin molex power or 6pin PCI-E power connector? So you reconnected either and the video card and now you are up and running? Either it was a loose connection or if it happens again you have something faulty in there. Make sure you run MEMTEST86, 3DMark series benchmarks before overclocking anything to see if everything is good and stable. If you don't have time/patience to run PRIME95, than just play your games at high resolutions and settings. This good enough.....

The 7600GT runs off the power it gets from the mobo so there is no extra power connector...My system as it is in my sig is prime stable for 12+ hrs and I don't have any problems with stablity. I'm going to try reinstall the X1900XT later and see if I can get it to run but if not it's going back to NewEgg tomorrow and I'm going to cross ship another one -- now the big question is do I get a new PSU at the same time or put it off until I build my next system in about 2 months?

Jim

Sign in to follow this