Sign in to follow this  
jm76

High end GFX card advice pls

The max resolution on the HIS is lower than the Sapphire and that is something that I need to concern myself with since if everything works out correctly in the next few months I'll be looking into a large widescreen monitor and I wanted to leave my options open (if I can swing it I might get either a Mac or Dell 30"). At the same time or shortly after the monitor purchase I will also be building a new system in which I'll run crossfire.

Jim

You really can't go wrong with the HIS cards. They are very strong cards and as far as I know the resolution shouldn't be different because it's the same chip, they just dress up their cards with nice coolers. It's too bad that Hercules doesn't make cards for ATI anymore because they were the best. The next runner up is HIS and then probably Sapphire. **EDIT** forgot to mention that a while back I had heard that HIS puts better memory chips on their cards, so this could mean better overclocks for you. I don't know if they still do it, but I haven't heard anything different.

If you have never had an ATI card be prepared some games will look and play different.

I'm a COD2 junkie, When I got my x1800xt/512(old card was a 7800gt) I could not belive how different the game play was compared to Nvidia. So I went back to Nvidia for it's familiararity.

First I got a Evga 7900gt KO 550/1500. It lasted 2 days then artifacts from over heating. RMA'd for a refund. Second I got a XFX 7900gt 520/1500. It lasted 3 days then again artifacting from heat. RMA'd for a refund. Third I got a LeadTek 7900gt 470/1380. Well guess what, it was refurbished with a different Heatsink/Fan and had a Locked BIOS. I could not Over or Under Clock it. Hmmmm RMA'd That for a refund. Finally Picked up a Evga 7900gt KO SC 580/1580. Here I am 2 weeks later GFX card is running fine.

Was it Worth it? Yes it was.... 24 pixel pipelines and SLI made up my mind. But hay what do I know :angel:

On a side Note I have 2 friends who both have new 7950's. They run great but very Hot.

Guest nibs

If you go with the HIS card you might want to replace your chipset cooler from the stock one if you haven't already. I know that the AC Silencer 5 has a similar ehaust design and my chipset temps at idle actually went up about 3C after installiation because there is now less airflow to that area of the board.

Thanks for all the input everyone...

I decided to go with this Sapphire X1900XT -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102025

And this for cooling -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102025

The HIS with the upgraded cooling is out of stock at the egg and I'm still not clear if its max resolution was the same as the Sapphire since several places have its max resolution printed as less.

Again, thanks for all the inputs...Now I'm just anxious to get this thing into my system.:)

Jim

Congrats on that nice card. It will be a compliment on your system, let us know how it works out for you.

Well, I'll admit to havning no patience...:)

Just got the card in today (overnight from newegg) and been playing with it -- boy is this thing big (almost doesn't clear my SATA ports) and it runs much hotter than the 7600GT that was in before, but games sure look nicer.

Now I just need to read up on overclocking. I've tried to get the temperatures to display with MBM5 but they only display intermittently and usually it's only the Enviroment temp that displays. Also with ATItool if I make even a very small change to my clock speed I black screen but the comp keeps running -- so I really need to read.

Jim

Getting a sapphire is a bad mistake, most of the cards have a terrible OC rate, Sapphire has the worst customer support ever (none at all) and I find that they use budget parts that are often defective. This is true for all the motherboards and most of the cards.

Well, I'll admit to havning no patience...:)

Just got the card in today (overnight from newegg) and been playing with it -- boy is this thing big (almost doesn't clear my SATA ports) and it runs much hotter than the 7600GT that was in before, but games sure look nicer.

Now I just need to read up on overclocking. I've tried to get the temperatures to display with MBM5 but they only display intermittently and usually it's only the Enviroment temp that displays. Also with ATItool if I make even a very small change to my clock speed I black screen but the comp keeps running -- so I really need to read.

Jim

Careful which version of Ati Tool you use, some older ones floating around that don't work well with newer cards.

Also you should consider using the Omega drivers instead of the Ati drivers, they tend to work better.

Sign in to follow this