Sign in to follow this  
OldGuy

Expert and SLI

You really should try that 11/17 bios bro. That 11/17 bios and the 11/02 are the ONLY 2 bios that work in SLI for me. I am pretty sure all the other bios were modified for ram and voltage tweaks.

On another note, Is it possible that the 2 video cards have different bios? Have you thought about flashing them with a new bios to be sure they are running the same version?

You really should try that 11/17 bios bro. That 11/17 bios and the 11/02 are the ONLY 2 bios that work in SLI for me. I am pretty sure all the other bios were modified for ram and voltage tweaks.

On another note, Is it possible that the 2 video cards have different bios? Have you thought about flashing them with a new bios to be sure they are running the same version?

I will when I get my new card...like I said earlier, the card worked fine in my Ultra D then intitially in the Expert. Now it doesn't work in either board (well it works if I wanna surf the web, do spread sheets, you know, stuff I didn't buy it for :) ) Got an RMA number from Newegg and they will overnight a new one as soon as they get this one back. They are also crediting me 10 bucks for return shipping so aside from four lost days scratchin me head I guess it could be worse...

I have tried all BIOS revisions since 11/02, and all except 11/02 don't work. My GPU's were bought at the same time, and according to the screen before POST messages upon startup, they are the same BIOS. But it is interesting that the 11/17 bios works for you...

Old Guy, one problem you might be creating for yourself is running 4x512 RAM in the Expert. yes, it's supposed to be able to do that, but I have read a lot posts here from people having issues with that. I would try to get the 4x512 stable first before trying SLI.

From what I've read here regarding SLI on the EXpert, is that the 11/2 & 4/06 BIOS work well. Dual core cpu's seem to like the 11/2 BIOS best.

Regarding the 7900 card problems, the problems stem from the card manufacturers overzealously overclocking the cards. The manufacturers put the vertx and pixel shader clocks out of sync with some of their factory overclocks, making the cards artifiact and crash out of the box. EVGA seems to have gottten things under control. I running a 7900GT KO and so far no problems. I bought an Expert, like you, with the hopes of going SLI as well. Right now I'm holding off until card prices drop a bit more.

One last thing I've read here regarding going SLI, is to completely remove the vid card drivers first. Add second card, change BIOS, then boot to windows, install drivers.

I wish ya luck ! I may be in your situation soon !

Firstly, what is the 11/17 BIOS? I can't find that one. I run a FX-60 and dual 7900GT's (and two pairs of 7800GTX's - 2 x BFG & 2 x XFX before that) in my eXpert and found that the 11/02 is the only revision that works in my rig (have tried every other stock BIOS I could lay my hands on)... pity it doesn't identify the FX60 chip though.

Firstly, what is the 11/17 BIOS? I can't find that one. I run a FX-60 and dual 7900GT's (and two pairs of 7800GTX's - 2 x BFG & 2 x XFX before that) in my eXpert and found that the 11/02 is the only revision that works in my rig (have tried every other stock BIOS I could lay my hands on)... pity it doesn't identify the FX60 chip though.

Sorry Blaise, I think that it is 11/07 BIOS, at least thats what I've got on hand...

So your FX-60 is not identified? Does that affect it in windows though?

I haven't had a single issue with SLI on my expert. I can run any bios from the first release to the 406 with mixed cards without any SLI issues.

i agree CPDMF, no bios/sli related problems here either in fact i havent had to flash the bios yet for any reason...maybe i should just to do it, but from what ive read on many forums its the initial batches of 7900s' that are screwy in sli...whether or not they straightened out the problem yet i dunno

I checked it awhile back but can't remember for sure, it's either an A02 or AD0. I'll check for sure when I get home tonight. I was kind of wondering whether it was a board revision issue myself because that could be grounds for an RMA for those with problems.