Sign in to follow this  
nivek7

Doesn't turn on; leds flashing

All Credit goes to caffinejunkie for posting this on my thread:

Hmm I just Glanced at your picture again and it appears you dont have the extra floppy power connector plugged in. It' s small picture so I cant really tell but am I right? Because you need all four power cables plugged in:

Make sure that all 4 power connectors are plugged into the board

# 24pin ATX connector.

# 4pin +12v P4 connector, near the ATX connector.

# Floppy power connector, under the CPU socket.

# Hard drive power connector, on top the chipset fan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2944&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2945&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2946&stc=1

This could easily be un-related to your issue But I thought Id mention it since the extra power sources are necessary.

All Credit goes to caffinejunkie for posting this on my thread:

Oh wow, i've never noticed that one before. I plugged it in, but there is still the same problem as before. I hope I don't have to replace the power supply...

Guest caffeinejunkie
I can't seem to find this one.

I will try the last resort method

On another note, is it normal that powersupplies just die like this?

edit: oh, one more thing, today I noticed a lot of crashes in games- anything to do with powersupply?

Well really it shouldnt just happen like that. I mean alot of people have had a range of issue with seasonic psu so it doesnt surprise me. That and you have a decently power hungry rig so if your psu wasnt enough then it could have been slowly dieing over those 6months and today it just decided to kick the bucket.

And now that your saying you were getting random crashes that just further sets it in stone to me that it was the psu.

oh and dont give credit to me give it to the Build Guide :D

edit* since your still having issues you could try RMAing your psu but you might want to look into something that would better suit your rig like the OCZ GameXStream 600w.

Well really it shouldnt just happen like that. I mean alot of people have had a range of issue with seasonic psu so it doesnt surprise me. That and you have a decently power hungry rig so if your psu wasnt enough then it could have been slowly dieing over those 6months and today it just decided to kick the bucket.

And now that your saying you were getting random crashes that just further sets it in stone to me that it was the psu.

oh and dont give credit to me give it to the Build Guide :D

edit* since your still having issues you could try RMAing your psu but you might want to look into something that would better suit your rig like the OCZ GameXStream 600w.

Would the GameXStream 600w be better, or the Powerstream 520? They're about the same price.

Oh- if the powersupply died, wouldn't there be no lights at all?

Guest caffeinejunkie

Well with the powerstream your lookin at has one 33a 12v vs the GXS with four 18a 12vs. Id say the GXS unless you have a gfx card that doe not use an extra power connector because the GXSs have an issue with loadbalancing the 12v being fed to the motherboard but in your case that wont be an issue.

As for your psu question that is a good one. Im not an electriction so I couldnt give you a 100% answere I just know that it does happen like that lol. Thats the best I can help you with that.

Thanks guys, the powersupply did die out. I tried another one, and the computer booted w/o any problems. So are you saying that with my single 7800gt, the gamexstream would be the better choice?

thanks so much for your time!

Guest caffeinejunkie

Yeah the GXS will be fine with your rig. Just thought id let you know of that small problem with them.

good to hear you got it all sorted out.

*just curious as to what exactly the problem is* No offense, didnt understand your explanation earlier junkie, and i was about to get one :D myself... Just curious probably wont change my mind anyhow...?

umm.. for the RMA form, it says my serial is invalid. this is weird...

edit: nvm, just sent an email to their rma department

my experience with dfi's board is kind of strange. Sometimes the psu may appear to be dead but once you use anohter psu to "jump start" the system. Then switch back to the old "seemingly" dead pus, voila, it actually works. I have run seasoncis's s380 on my rig without any trouble, so I think you should be fine with yoru 500w one.

Hmmmm...

I just posted about this very issue:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60833

I have the same motherboard, close to the same GPU, and a bigger Seasonic... and today, I woke up to a dead machine, when it had been working PERFECTLY for the past 5 months solid (not a single issue during use), including the night before.

Same blinking amber LEDS... same dead issue... however I managed to hotwire boot it... so I think its more of the DFI board is crap, not my PSU, because when all of it is finally booted and running, all lines tested with a MM are stable and solid.

I love how this post is such BS pointing the blame game:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...6&postcount=364

Fact remains, the Seasonic works great with everything BUT a DFI... (wish I knew that when I was spec'ing this rig out 5 months ago) so I would lean more towards the DFI board is out of spec, not the Seasonic.

So.... do I buy a new motherboard that wont be a pissy twit? Or do I buy some other PSU that may work with this DFI for another 5 months and then give out when nothing is wrong with it as well? Decisions decisions....