Sign in to follow this  
heptadragon

Enabling SMART on SiI 3114?

Hey all, I have a quick question. I can get my SMART readouts on the hard drives I have running on the NVIDIA SATA controller, but not the one running on the SiI controller. I was able to get SMART readouts when I had the drive plugged in to the NVIDIA controller but it played hell with my drive letters for some weird reason. (It wouldn't even let me change that drive's letter in disk management, which I found odd.) Does anyone know if it's possible to enable SMART over the SiI controller? (I'm just running it as a standard SATA, but I tried switching it to RAID and it still wouldn't read the SMART stuff. Granted the HD is not in a RAID array, but I would think that wouldn't have any difference as the other two drives are separate also.)

SATA drives use the ATA/IDE driver command set.

SIL use the SCSI driver command set.

SATA drives in RAID on NVIDIA controller use also de SCSI driver command set.

S.M.A.R.T. [self Monitoring And Reporting Technology]

is reliability prediction technology for both ATA/IDE and SCSI environments.

The S.M.A.R.T. system technology of attributes and thresholds is similar in ATA/IDE and SCSI environments,

but the reporting of information differs.

In an ATA/IDE environment, software on the host interprets the alarm signal from the drive generated by the "report status" command of S.M.A.R.T. The host polls the drive on a regular basis to check the status of this command, and if it signals imminent failure, sends an alarm to the end user or system administrator. This allows downtime to be scheduled by the system administrator to allow for backup of data and replacement of the drive.

In an SCSI environment, only communicate a reliability condition as either good or failing. In a SCSI environment, the failure decision occurs at the disc drive, and the host notifies the user for action. The SCSI specification provides for a sense bit to be flagged if the disc drive determines that a reliability issue exists. The system then alerts the end user/system manager.

Source: SEAGATE Support - Playing It S.M.A.R.T.

For Clarity:

You must use third party software to poll the smart data inside an OS.

This includes drivers and software for the nVidia and SIL controllers when using drives as a single or array components.

Most motherboards will poll the SMART data at POST and present a warning if the results are pointing toward a failure.

I stuck a crap PATA drive on one of my rigs at the office and it stopped after the BIOS screen with a warning of drive failure.

If I remember correctly, I had to press F1 to resume.

SMART data has no impact on normal operation of the drive regardless of the common urban myths regarding such. The only time data is transferred is when the software polls the drive for SMART data.

This is why it's best to leave SMART enabled in the BIOS at all times.

S.M.A.R.T. monitor: HDD Health v2.1 Build 159

This software can not show S.M.A.R.T. details with SATA drives in RAID on NVIDIA controller, because in an SCSI environment, it's limited by only communicate a reliability condition as either good or failing.

HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines using Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray, it monitors hard disks and alerts you to impending failure. The program uses Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) built into all new hard disks, and can predict failures on your hard drives. A host of alerting features include email, local pop-up messages, net messages, and event logging, while using no system resources.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4147&stc=1

Download link: HDD Health v2.1 Build 159 (FREEWARE)