Sign in to follow this  
heptadragon

Enabling SMART on SiI 3114?

Hey all,

I have a quick question. I can get my SMART readouts on the hard drives I have running on the NVIDIA SATA controller, but not the one running on the SiI controller. I was able to get SMART readouts when I had the drive plugged in to the NVIDIA controller but it played hell with my drive letters for some weird reason. (It wouldn't even let me change that drive's letter in disk management, which I found odd.) Does anyone know if it's possible to enable SMART over the SiI controller? (I'm just running it as a standard SATA, but I tried switching it to RAID and it still wouldn't read the SMART stuff. Granted the HD is not in a RAID array, but I would think that wouldn't have any difference as the other two drives are separate also.)

I don't think I've ever seen it work over the SiI controller either...perhaps something on their website? The controller might not support the feature.

Edit:

Other Features & Benefits

* Serial ATA (SATA) – 1.5 Gbps (150MB/s)

* Compliant with SATA 1.0 specification

* Integrated SATA Transport, Link logic, and PHY layer

* 48-bit sector addressing

* Four independent DMA channels with 256B FIFO per channel

* Virtual DMA in PCI with serial link in legacy PIO mode

* Supports command buffering for ATA TF shadow registers

* Supports up to 4MB external FLASH

* Supports ATAPI devices: CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, etc.

* Hot-Plug capable

* Supports SATA active signal for 4 separate LEDs

* Selectable drive strength on Tx for backplane applications

* Supports spread spectrum clocking to reduce EMI

* Single, digital PLL architecture with 1 PLL for all 4 channels

Don't see anything mentioned about it, I could be blind though. Damn delicious Keystone Ice...

Guest Kobalt

Silicon Image chips do support SMART.

They have their own java utility & a stand alone if you hunt for them on the web. Might be at their web site.

OK, I decided to switch it back to the NVIDIA controller since I don't need it to be on the SiI controller. Now that I have the drive letters configured the way I want them, it seems to have stayed that way, which is nice. Now I get my SMART readouts too!

Guest Kobalt
The java utility seems to be only for RAID drives and not for standalone SATA support.

It does support non RAID drives. I have used it before, and it works just fine.

Likewise. What I was trying to do was get it to read SMART data for non-RAID drives, which it doesn't seem to be capable of doing. Or at least I wasn't able to get the SMART temperature for the drive in MBM5...

Likewise. What I was trying to do was get it to read SMART data for non-RAID drives, which it doesn't seem to be capable of doing. Or at least I wasn't able to get the SMART temperature for the drive in MBM5...

most of the time , i think if you set raid up on any controller it wont give you temp readouts. , but as a single drive in non-raid, iv seen onlt the built in chipset give temp readouts,

additional controllers, promise, sil etc, dont. even if they are addin cards, like my promise tx2 card.

most of the time , i think if you set raid up on any controller it wont give you temp readouts. , but as a single drive in non-raid, iv seen onlt the built in chipset give temp readouts,

additional controllers, promise, sil etc, dont. even if they are addin cards, like my promise tx2 card.

yup, i agree..

and be carefull about the temps, i've seen it on 2 boards already that it shoes the temps for 2 hdds at "normal" = ~ 38 or so, and the third @ 58, exactly 20+... smart is a bit weird...

(and ya, i switched cables and hdds and bla... its some sort of a bug)

yeah, my third drive seems to be showing at about +5º C higher than the other two. I didn't know if it is just because the drive is larger (and older) or if it is some sort of weird bug.

So far, no application can read SMART data if the drives are configured in an array.

The drives must be addressable as a single entity for SMART data to be read.

The drive temp diode is located on the drive PCB. If you have two drives stacked, the top drive's PCB will be against the drive on the bottom causing higher temps.

You can always swap the drive position to verifiy the drive temp or simply leave a gap between drives to allow airflow.

The drive temp diode is located on the drive PCB. If you have two drives stacked, the top drive's PCB will be against the drive on the bottom causing higher temps.

You can always swap the drive position to verifiy the drive temp or simply leave a gap between drives to allow airflow.

Done that... it aint related to the drives themselfs of the cables... weird bug, 20c exactly... besides, i can just touch it by its side and see how hot it is, when it writes 60, it should be smocking :)