Bad video card or chipset?

I powered up the computer today and all of my games starting having artifacting on the screen. It seemed to be working fine last night before powering down howerver yesterday after noon I was overclocking it pretty hard.

This is a good example of what I get on the screen in most games:http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/4ev.../Screen01-1.jpg

I just replaced the chipset fan yesterday also so I was curious if it could be something with that. I'm thinking that I've most likely fried the video card but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the chipset can also cause the kind of problem you see in the screen shot?

Looks video card related to me, what overclock/temps are you running on it?

Sorry forgot to mention.

I am not currently overclocking the CPU or GPU but the problem continues. Temperatures are completely normal for GPU,CPU and Chipset: max #'s on all 3 are in order: 62 / 45 / 44

Hey 4evrnyt, that looks like the same prob i have.

I don't know if it is GFX card or Mobo related.

I have set the mobo to "optimised defaults" except for the timings that the ram said it was rated to.

When ever i load a DirectX game it starts ok but then i start to see atifacts build like in your example until it finally freezes/crashes the system. In UT2004 it starts doing it while in the menu even. In DoD:S i get about 15 sec of play before it happens. When i run DirectX diag, it passes the direct draw tests but fails the Direct3D tests (even directX7). I have installed the latest DirectX 9.0c and tried reference drivers from nVidia's site, but still no joy.

It was my new upgrade/build, and it is a pain that i can't get it working. I am not OC'ing anything (although gainward comes pre-overclocked as default). There are so many things on the board and so many settings in Bios, I have no idea where to start troubleshooting.

I have exactly the same problem as you guys. I had a 7800Gt that gave me those artifacts and freezes in DoD: Source and other games and I figured it must be a graphics card so I bought a 7900GT and I still get the same problem!

It's crazy, I am clueless. I don't overclock anything at all. I am about to buy a new PSU and see if that's the root of all evil.

I took my rig to my supplier and they said the PSU was faulty, so I took the opportunity to upgrade it too an antec truepower 430W. I am doing a re-build today. They said they did 3DMark tests and it worked fine. Interesting that other threads (I think even yours amuSe) mensioned that passing 3DMark didn't mean it was fixed. So we will see. Interesting that when I went to pick up the rig there was another guy there with the same DFI board complaing of problems too. I will follow the rebuild instructions to the letter.

Upgrade to another underpowered psu. Minimum for your rig is 480w and 28A on 12 v rails minimum.

Well I used THIS CALCULATOR to calculate my power needs and it said 333W (including some surge and wear and tear factoring). The new PSU says 31A on the 12V rails. I suppose the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. *Crosses fingers*