SATA drive not detected by Windows XP

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It allow to copy an entire partition, so it copied my existing partition on IDE drive to SATA drive.

If I'm understanding you correctly, at least at this point the WD Tools are allowing you to create a copy of the partition on the IDE drive and put the copy on the new SATA drive right?

I can think of two reasons the partition copy on the SATA drive hangs. First is that the boot files were not copied from the IDE drive. For that to happen you actually have to make disk image or clone image of that partition so all files (even hidden, system and boot files) are copied over to the new disk.

Second, the existing install of Windows is on an IDE drive and more than likely you don't actually have the Windows SATA driver installed.

Here's my suggestion. If the Windows installation on your IDE drive is running OK and you want to keep everything intact. Make sure you have the nVidia chipset driver package downloaded and installed on your current setup.

Download and install the trial version of Acronis True Image Software. Use that utility to create a backup of your existing partion and save it to removable media (such as a DVD or two).

After you've backed up your current partition, remove the IDE drive and install the SATA drive instead. Make sure to clear CMOS and load optimized defaults.

At this point BIOS should be detecting your SATA drive if all of your cables are properly connected and the SATA channels are enabled in BIOS. Proceed with your Windows install including allowing Windows to format the existing partition. After you've got Windows installed, install Acronis again and use that program to restore from the backup partition you created on DVD.