Need to reset CMOs everytime I reboot...

Or else it gets stuck at 4 LEDs. Tried all components on another identical board and everything is fine.

Is it a good idea to flash the bios? Or it is RMA time? This board had just com eback from RMA 3 weeks agian and is acting up.

Thanks!

While the official 623-1 BIOS' were fairly decent releases, there have been some goodies updated since then. I'm hesitant to call a BIOS flash a "good idea", however sometimes it's just flat out necessary.

Two of my favorites available right now can be had on TMOD's BIOS flash CD. I've had really good luck with both the 0704-2bta as well as the 0406-bt. But keep in mind that both of those are BETA and should a problem arise you might be out of luck on warranty support or RMA's. Of course, you could always flash back to an official release if nothing went terribly bad during the flash.

Do you get the same symptoms when you're running your system at stock clocks and speeds? Your sig. indicates a fairly healthy overclock on both your processor and your memory. Have you ran MEMTEST from your BIOS to confirm the stability of your current BIOS, voltage and memory settings? If so what were the results?

1. To eliminate the o/c as a contributor to your problem you need to perform a full and proper CMOS clear as defined in ExRoadie's Guide (you can find the link in my sig. titled "disaster recovery". After you've completed the clear make sure to re-enter BIOS and load optimized defaults.

2. Sometimes a failure to save BIOS settings can be caused by something as simple as a bad m/b battery or a battery that isn't properly seated.

3. Sometimes a boot failure can be caused because all four of the power connectors are not plugged into the NF4 board, other times they may not be securely plugged in.

4. If you've double checked everything above, and followed the proper CMOS clear procedure, but still no love, it's back to step one. Which is to follow the NF4 build guide (found in my sig) and follow it to the letter.

Additionally, I'd take a read of the NF4 O/C guide here at the Street, it contains some valuable information whether you're overclocking or not.

Thanks for the post.

I have run the setup at stock and it is still the same. Memtest freezes, as with the rest of the system at stock speeds if left idle. Board is out of the case and by the open window, and heat is not a problem. Default optimised settings used as well.

I have also swapped out processor, memory and PSU to no success.

WIll try the 'disaster recovery step'. Keep the comments coming!

Memtest freezes, as with the rest of the system at stock speeds if left idle.

That's a bit odd. Normally, memtest just throws out errors.

BTW Could you choose a little lighter color for your sig. It virtually disappears if you choose a forum style with a black background.

Im actually having major problems with my computer as well.

My memtest freezes every time I run it. I run 1 stick at a time. Ive tried all the dimm slots. I've tried multiple timings. Freezes everytime.

When I skip memtest, I log into windows, and a few minutes later the computer freezes, or reboots, or screen goes black and the 4 leds light up.

I'll have to defer to the experts now. I've never had a case where MEMTEST wouldn't run at all. Now I've seen cases where it threw literally hundreds of errors at me, but never just refuse to run whatsoever.

Well Memtest does run and without errors, until it freezes as in the same scenerio whether if the PC is idle or working away. I think it would be normally a PSU/memory issue but it turns out not.

I have removed the CMOS battery since last night. Fingers crossed.

If you have not done a long CMOS clear try a 12hr then 24hr like this; Proper way to clear the CMOS from a "No Boot" condition.

Then try running memtest from a boot floppy or CD.

If you get into the OS try a GUI version of memtest.

Or else it gets stuck at 4 LEDs. Tried all components on another identical board and everything is fine.

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System