AMD Dual Core Optimizer (NEW)

aurora

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kobalt

They only have this one for opterons, but I see no reason the other utility/fix won't work either.

"AMD Opteron™ Processor PowerNow! Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports single core and dual core AMD Opteron™ processors on Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1 x84 and x64 Editions."

BTW, to control power & voltage, doesn't cool'n'quiet need to be enabled in BIOS?

I just realized that this hotfix is posted in the "Athlon 64/FX" section of their utilities, even though it's a fix for dual core processors. A little misleading if you ask me. Perhaps they'll figure it out and move it to the dual core section...

Guest Kobalt
yes, and if you are wise, you have it disabled if you are overclocking

I guess I am wise then. :D

They need to supply us more details on what was fixed/changed.

I didn't bother trying these yet, unless anyone knows a good reason to try these? Do they have any readme for what they did?

I installed the new CPU driver & dual core fix on top of m$' hotfix and everything seems ok, did not notice any differences in games...

However, a couple of days ago, I decided to go ahead and add the m$ hotfix registry entry (the "PerfEnableIdle..." set to 1), and right after I did this, my pc started becoming nonresponsive and a minute later froze. It had been up for more than 24 hours 'till then.

After the restart, no probs whatsoever... Weird, huh?

I'm not sure if it is the new driver or the dual core optimization tool, but I just played DS2 for 2 1/2 hours without any stutters or crashes (it even seemed to fix the stutter I had when saving, which I had back on my old Barton as well). OMG w00t and other exclamations! :D

I'm not sure if it is the new driver or the dual core optimization tool, but I just played DS2 for 2 1/2 hours without any stutters or crashes (it even seemed to fix the stutter I had when saving, which I had back on my old Barton as well). OMG w00t and other exclamations! :D

i did post this a a sepret thread, but it gone now,

so ill ask again.

on the amd web site is also on the [ turion x2 drivers section..]

my x2 is a athlon chip , will it work with a different x2 chip

in the readme of the software it just says for dual cores version 1.0

?

i did post this a a sepret thread, but it gone now,

so ill ask again.

on the amd web site is also on the [ turion x2 drivers section..]

my x2 is a athlon chip , will it work with a different x2 chip

in the readme of the software it just says for dual cores version 1.0

?

It will work with all Dual Core X2's, Opterons, and there are rumors it even works with Intel Dual Core Duo's. All X2 cpu's are the same btw, all of them are Athlons;)