Big problems with Athlon 64 3700+ mobile in my desktop - Please help

I just bought an Athlon64 3700+ mobile (754 Newark Core) for my Lanparty UT nf3 250GB motherboard. I pulled out the older A64 3200 that worked fine at 2.3GHz. This new 3700 wont go past 800MHz. I cant change the mulitplier from 4x and i'm keeping the FSB at 200 to match my PC3200 ram. I upgraded the BIOS from the factory 5/04 to the modded 5/04 & 6/23 and it still wont boot. I just want to figure out how to get it to the stock 12x200 setting......so sad but it'll be a start.

Here's a shot of my settings. I think the problem is either the BIOS or i'm not setting something the correct way in the GENIE BIOS settings. What else should i try to get this thing working at stock speeds? Proccessor part # is AMN3700BKX5BU

capture01012003000550bmp9pa.th.jpg

i don't have any experiance with mobiles, but from what i hear, you have to double check and manually set alot of stuff inside of the bios. especially the voltage, turn off cool'n quiet, etc.

i think if you search the forums you'll find a guide.

Turbolaxx

I can see from your description of the problem that you alreay know about manually setting the multiplier etc. I actually read it.

A bit confused here though. At one point you say that it won't boot. Is this just a typo or bad description? You're using the right BIOS (6/23). Maybe its a bad BIOS flash. I assume you've done the proper clear CMOS process after flashing.

Sorry, I can't think of anything else, but i'm no expert. I had no problems like this with my Newark and 250GB.

As matthewsr2000 mentioned, voltage...what's the Vcore set at?..... bios will set it to .9 by default but it should be set manually to 1.35/1.4 (could be the reason it won't boot at higher speeds).

This is what i was setting everything to for a failed stock 12x200:

FSB Freq - 200

LDT/FSB - I tried 3-5...but i think 4 is the right choice..still a little confused on this one

CPU/FSB - 12

cool & quiet - disabled

CPU Vid Control (Vcore) - 1.5

Ram was 200MHZ at a 1:1 ratio

The setting above still wont let windows start. Those were in factory 5/04, modded 5/04, and 6/23 BIOS.

Capton Proton when i said it wont boot it either wouldnt let me get into the bios or it would get past that point and say "detectting array" then restart itself. I dont even run raid. Also can you plase explain about clearing the CMOS after flashing. All i did was use Winflash to load the BIOS then restart the computer...that as it. While using Winflash i chose to update all the blocks...i hope that's ok. If i'm supposed to do something else or change somethign else give me some ideas.

Is there a certain type of 3700 mobile that wont work at all in desktops?

I have read on several occasions that the Detecting Array error is usually attributable to the Max Asinc Latency and Read Preamble setting. Not sure what chips are on your memory. Max Async Lat - 6 or 7 for UTT or BH5, 8 for TCCD. Read Preamble 5 to 7.

I've never used Winflash, I've always flashed form a floppy. I do know that I've seen posts many times advising folks to do a full CMOS clear after flashing. I once had a big problem trying to get a very mild overclock stable, until I cleared my CMOS. Look at the 4th post at the sticky in this forum entitled Important Info (Critical)

LDT should be set in such a way as to keep the bandwidth at 800 or lower. I just kept mine at X3 once I started to overclock. I don't think you can max a setting of 3X out anyway.

as far as I know, all Socket 754 3700+ Mobiles are Newarks, like I have, although mine is a 4000+. Be patient, hang in there. You will fly.

Ok I flashed my BIOS to 6/23 using the correct CMOS clearing tecnique listed in the sticky. Windows wouldnt boot and all i got was "detecting array" again when i changed all the bios settings to:

FSB Freq - 200

LDT/FSB - I tried 3 and 4

CPU/FSB - 12

cool & quiet - disabled

CPU Vid Control (Vcore) - 1.4

Ram was 200MHZ at a 1:1 ratio

Those setting still dont work. My memory is OCZ EL DDR PC3200 Platinum Edition (2-3-2-5) = Samsung TCB3, ProMOS 5ns. That's what some website said. I'm not familair with Max Async and Read Preamble. Are those under the ram settings? I plan on getting some OCZ pc4000 platinum sticks in a few days. If my current ram is the problem hopefully these new sticks will help. Anything else i should try?

Those sticks should work, certainly at stock.

First of all, CPU VID at 1.5 for stock is way overkill. 1.35 is stock voltage. Don't pour the juice to it if you don't have to.

It sounds like you have a lot of research to do. This is a good place, but, to get going at stock, you'd probably be better off at the OCZ official website at Forums On the Bleedin Edge. http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

You can make a Post there, or even PM Tony or SteveOCZ and ask for help. I always found them to be quite good.

Another place to post for help with your OCZ Memory is here in the Stock Speed Database section. Guys from OCZ give help there too. Make sure your title spells out that you are looking for help with OCZ PC3200 EL Plat, non Rev 2. If yours is Rev 2, it's TCCD or TCC5 chips, and there's lots of examples for that.

What you have to do now, no matter what memory you end up with, is do a lot of searching around to find postings with a similar set up, and look at their timings and try them. While it is necessary to become familiar with the different settings available, copying other succes stories is a good way to start and get stable.

The settings I already refferred to are where they all are, in the BIOS under Genie Bios, Memory Settings. I'd stick to the 6/23 BIOS from DFI.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I ordered new memory. I got OCZ Platinum PC-4000 2GB (2 x 1GB). Timings are 3-3-2-8. I was hoping it would fix the problem, but it hasnt. These stick use CE-6 Infineon IC's.

After lots of random trial and error i got my system to boot into windows twice. Here are the only settings i changed in the optimized BIOS when it worked.

Black = 1st time it booted into windows

Red = 2nd time

FSB - 201

LDT/FSB - 5

CPU/FSB Freq - 11

CPU Vid Control - 1.400V & 1.350

DRAM Freq - 1:1

CPC - Enable (for 1T)

Tcl - 3

Trcd - 3

Tras - 8

Trp - 2

Max Async Latency - 6 & 5

Read Preamble Time - 5 & 6

After each time windows started i restarted the computer it would again say "detecting array" and wouldnt go back into windows. I'm VERY FRUSTRATED and need help. Does anyone else recommned other values to try in the BIOS. Why is this thing so hit and miss? Any help is appreciated.