Only Smart Ppl May Enter!

Ok... since hardly no one is answering my question about my heatsink problem... I guess i'll post it here :P. I need a suggestion on a good heatsink and fan for a p4 and under $40. I'm looking at either the thermaltake volcano 7+ or a thermalright ax-478 with a thermaltake smart case fan (the hs can hold a 80mm fan). I need a suggestion on which to buy and what's a good fan (i don't want a tornado or a delta). I want one with good cfm and fairly quiet. My choice was the smart case fan because it pumps a good amout of cfm. If i could find the smart case fan II i'd be really happy, but i haven't found a site that sells one. Please ppl, i really really need feedback. I'm planning on ordering tommorow most likely. If i can't get much feedback, i'll probabbly go with the ax-478 as it is in stock. Also, check the article "heatsink dilema" and read the links to the hsf ratings too. The ax-478 got one of the highest ratings.

Only problem is, your asking for a quiet fan that gives a lot of CFM...

The more CFM, the louder the fan... You could go out and get a 120mm fan and an adapter kit, but then your going to run into a small problem... your price limit.

The delta or volcano on top of a swiftech heatsink would be the best for keeping your proc cool... but it cost ya, and its loud. To me, that's a small price to pay... I'd rather shell out the $$$ and live with the noice just so I know I'll have a nice and cool proc.

If I were to pick between the TTV7+ or the AX478, I'd have to pick the TT.. that's because I was a big TT fanboi. But even then, the TTV7+ is going to run you over your $40 mark...

also, i can't live with the noise... I'm probabbly not going to be overclocking much as of yet... I just want to have everything setup just in case... Also, i do a pretty fair amount of gaming so i need to have my comp cool (i didn't know that heat could screw up your gaming... i had to learn the hard way). I'm still debating... I don't really want to have to use the hsf that came with my p4, but i may... It just depends... The volcano 7+ isn't in stock now, but will be next week. The ax-478 is in stock and so are the smart case fans. Both will cost $32 w/ shipping. I'll save $3 going with the volcano 7+ because of shipping on the fan for the ax-478 is that much. So right now money isn't that part of the matter. I can't go with the swiftec because its just way too expensive and the delta will drive me up the wall (i went to a local comp shop and the guy there had one; it was one of the most annoying things i've heard in my life). So it boils down to those two. I heard taht the volcano 7+ is loud, that's the other reason i was planning on going with the ax-478. With a 80mm fan compared to a 70mm, it would be quieter and pump the same cfm. Later on i plan on changing the fan with one of the smart case fans 2 from tt, because the cfm on that thing is huge. I just got to hear it first to make sure that i can stand being in the same room. I know i could add an adapter, but that would cost more as well. That's why i kinda limited myself to those two. I wonder what bosco would say. I was also looking at the coolermaster IHC-H71, but i hear a sound recording of that fan and man... I would NOT be able to stand it. So that's why it boiled down to those two. Watercooling and pelt are pretty much out of the question. Water is too expensive and i don't want to have to go through the trouble of setting up a pelt. I wonder how well the stock heatsink performs....

After a 2 or 3 days of being in the same room with a delta fan, you get use to it... To me, I don't even here the thing anymore. :)

In fact the sounds of the computers put me to sleep anymore, that's how use to it I've gotten...

Sounds like you've made up your mind on what ya want.. get the AX-478.

I just put a new system together and have to say the stock hsf performs out of this world. It does so good, that I'm actually doubting my o/c results now.

I also bought a Volcano 7+ at the same time. Haven't tried it yet as the stock hsf does so well. The reason I bought the V7+ was that you can switch the fan from high to medium to low. A lot of reviews and posts stated that it is almost silent at medium speed and silent at low speed.

That's just my 2 cents....

yeah, but look at the cfm or rpm at db. You'll get about the same cfm with less db with a 80mm fan. I'm probabbly going with the ax-478 because i can change the fan to suit my needs. Plus I'd have to wait for about 2 weeks for the volcano 7+ to come in stock. The wrist wrap i'm getting i'm going to buy with my fans so i don't have to pay shippping. So it all works out in the end. Thanks all for your help. Later on i may look into a delta, but for now i'm going to have to stick with a smart case fan.

haha.. speaking of falling asleep to sound..

me with my 120MM fan.. my 172MM fan.. my 2 80MM fans.. and my delta on my Swiftech heatsink... LoL..

Talk about unbareable.. u can hear this beast all the way out in the kitchen..

But.. some how like d3brut.. I managed to drown out the sound.. and I fall asleep to it..

-----

Its a geek thing :P