For a few weeks now random crashing on boot.

Just for a few weeks now my PC will no longer boot to Windows on the first try. It always takes one and sometimes two resets to get into Windows. It will randomly lockup at any point from when the BIOS screens start to just before you see you desktop. Once in Windows I don’t have any issues that I know of, I’m dual Prim stable and all that jazz. The last point that it will lockup on is the middle of the Windows XP splash screen as the Logo is fading in.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Richard

Man I hade the same thing on my nF4 but it wasa problem with an IDE driver, not sure but it sounds like it may be a HDD(bad HDD or Raid) or software problem(windows install), not bios or hardware. Have you tryed a new install, or with a diffrent HDD set up, or only one HDD? Just a thought!

Which torture test did you do in Prime95, you should do all three of them to be honest. Could be that your RAM is unstable.

I was given special instructions on how to run Prime95 on both cores at once using the Custom setting. I don’t know how to run the other tests on both cores at once.

Man I hade the same thing on my nF4 but it wasa problem with an IDE driver, not sure but it sounds like it may be a HDD(bad HDD or Raid) or software problem(windows install), not bios or hardware. Have you tryed a new install, or with a diffrent HDD set up, or only one HDD? Just a thought!

It can and will lockup at any time after the very first BIOS screen, way before any windows drivers are loading.

I was thinking that I may have to reinstall and maybe even flash the BIOS in hopes that it will just go away but I was hoping to not have to do that.

It just seems odd to start doing this out of nowhere.

Run the Small FFTs test over night, if that passes then run the In-place large FFTs test over night. If that one passes, run the Blend test to test your RAM. I reckon it'll fail on the In-place large FFTs test to be honest.

Run the Small FFTs test over night, if that passes then run the In-place large FFTs test over night. If that one passes, run the Blend test to test your RAM. I reckon it'll fail on the In-place large FFTs test to be honest.

I'll give that a shot but it did not do this before so maybe the RAM is failing?

Well if it passes in the Small FFTs test but fails in the Large FTTs test, then it's more than likely your RAM. Just tweak your timings and try again, be sure to only change one or two settings at a time though.

Check this thread out for the definitions of all the RAM timings if you didn't know already.

Ok, it looks to be random pausing not crashing. If I wait it will eventually continue to boot. WTF? That is so odd. What might cause the PC to pause in random spots for a minute or so and then continue on like nothing happened?