Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

Which one outta these five would you recommend most as far as Asus boards goes guys?

ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131181

ASUS P5K WS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131185

ASUS P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131190

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131182

ASUS P5K64 WS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131200

Or should I just save myself the trouble and go with the DFI? - DFI LP UT P35 T2R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813136037

Really wish they'd actually release the X38. Saw a tester today that had a Quad (my kinda quad to be exact) at 4.12GHz on air, with an X38 board. >:O lol

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most have used the deluxe and premium versions. Personally I think that DFI is fugly.

I think I will be getting a X38 when it comes out along with me finally getting a quad. Any word on the rumor that it will support xfire and SLI?

Give me a couple of days to finish up my testing of this P5K Premium and I can give you that information. I need to complete an OCDB and test everything for functionality. It doesn't have any problems clocking a quad and running my 4 sticks at 960 for initial run..

While X38 is going to be the premier chipset, it won't be turning any 3.6 quads into 4.0 quads I can guarantee you that. Still they may be worth holding out for..

The top three quad capable boards:

ASUS P5K Deluxe- Numerous issues that some users experience and other don't.

Asus P5K Premium - The fixed version of the Deluxe. Has SATA drive compatibility issues that once again some users see and other don't.

Abit IP35 Pro - So for seem to handle quads good. However because of the amount of vdroop requires an excessive amount of cpu voltage.

As you can see it doesn't matter the brand. There is no perfect quadcore capable board at the moment. Regardless what you choose it's going to be a compromise.

DFI P35 T2R - I've been so busy with work I haven't even dropped a quadcore in mine yet. So at this point I'm not going to say anything one way or the other. One thing to keep in mid though. The BIOS has so many options the average user is overwhelmed by it. Plus the fact that a lot of the settings have never been seen on a board before. The user doesn't have a clear understanding of what they do and how they relate to and influence other settings. There will soon be a beta BIOS released that has another 15 or so additional settings. The up-side is the board has very good performance with most settings left on auto.

SLI on X38 chipsets - Not gonna happen. SLI performance is slightly faster on the Intel chipset then nVidia's. There are fewer issues and better general performance with an Intel cpu/chipset then an Intel cpu/nVidia chipset. As long as nVidia is committed to the chipset business and that chipset remains an inferior product, controlling SLI compatibility is the only way they can continue to sell the product.

While X38 is going to be the premier chipset, it won't be turning any 3.6 quads into 4.0 quads I can guarantee you that.

Even with the P5K Premium the quadcore's limitation will be reached before the board's limitation.

The top three quad capable boards:

ASUS P5K Deluxe- Numerous issues that some users experience and other don't.

Asus P5K Premium - The fixed version of the Deluxe. Has SATA drive compatibility issues that once again some users see and other don't.

DFI P35 T2R - I've been so busy with work I haven't even dropped a quadcore in mine yet. So at this point I'm not going to say anything one way or the other. One thing to keep in mid though. The BIOS has so many options the average user is overwhelmed by it. Plus the fact that a lot of the settings have never been seen on a board before. The user doesn't have a clear understanding of what they do and how they relate to and influence other settings. There will soon be a beta BIOS released that has another 15 or so additional settings. The up-side is the board has very good performance with most settings left on auto.

Even with the P5K Premium the quadcore's limitation will be reached before the board's limitation.

Researching both of the points mentioned here.

I thought I had a problem running a storage drive outside of the array on my P5K, but the drive doesn't function in my #2 rig either. So far no problems with RAID and no problems with my sata burner.

A friend of mine bought the LP P35, I kept getting the phone calls about what's this setting do and I couldn't answer it. After a week he decided he just didn't have the time to put into it.. He's now on P5K premium and the LP P35 is on my bench. I might have a chance to work with it in December after my Dad's knee surgery..

after 8 years of amd i admit defeat I too have jump ship to intel. Hmmmm new hardware will be asus p5k-e wi-fi /ocz ddr2 platinum 6400/c2d 6850. That should get quite a bit of speed. Everything else in the sig will be added to the intel. Hope to get it well up there on water

Just because I'm tired of the people throwing a cry-baby fit over at EVGA's Forums, anyone got any recommendations for chipset fans on a 680i board?

They, in their infinite lack of wisdom, insist it's my MCP overheating (even though somehow my system managed to pass 16+ hours of PRIME95 at my stable settings in the past), so I just want to shut them up about that... and I'm sure non-stock coolers will help A LITTLE temperature wise.

And again since I'm an Intel newbie still when it comes to boards, I have no idea what to look for. I'd like a smallish one for the southbridge and size doesn't matter on the Northbridge as just about anything will fit in that gap between the top video card and the liquid block on the processor.

My system randomly freezing or black screening and acting like it's still on. I think my video card my be defective, but I honestly think the MCP overheating is just plain not possible with the cooling I have.

The main thing that bugs me is, sometimes it'll happen multiple times in a few hours, and then at the last leg of last night, I went 5 hours (mostly gaming) with no incidient.

I did a full cmos clear DFI style and I'm back at my 3.666 settings now, gonna play games then if it's okay on that I'm leaving it testing for around 24 hours to make sure it's rock stable... I think MAYBE just MAYBE somehow my PSU is taking an issue with something, cuz there was this weird... I can't describe it and it may've had absolutely nothing to do with my computer, but it was a burning rubberish type smell, yesterday night after the thing did that black screen . twice.

I hope it's not the PSU cuz I've never dealt with Fortron for RMAs and I have a feeling it won't be pleasant.

I still can't believe the EVGA xxxxhead (pardon my language but that's what he is) had the nerve to call ME a Newbie when he didn't even know who Fortron IS.

Welp, I'm at 21 hours almost on Prime, 0 errors so far. I'm gonna, must as I don't wanna wait, go for 24 even then stop. Then I'm gonna start a continuous loop on 3DMark06 and run that for around 12 hours or so, see if it can pass that, if the video card is the problem obviously it'll fail. If it's not, then I play my game again, and it pulls that crap, I know it's the game causing a Windows error.