Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Phase goes, I have no idea how to install it properly or maintain it or set it, or I might consider it. Honestly I'd love to consider it, but, yeah... I'm strained on money right now for the moment, and I honestly don't know how to install such a thing, at all. Is it similar to liquid cooling or very different?

I'm being told I should have a P35 LanParty tomorrow. If so, I should be able to have some results up later this week.

I will look out for the results to see how the DFI stacks up against the competition.

How are you going to test AIR/Water Phase ?

How are you going to test AIR/Water Phase ?

All three and in that order. The first priority will be air using the board as it come out of the box. That will be how the majority of users will run the board. We're hoping to get most of the answers out for tech support before the problems arise. Next will be water and exploring different cooling options for the board if that's needed. Then it will be time to put it under phase or some dry ice to see how it stacks up against the competition. It will take quite a bit for it to outperform either of my 965 boards.

All three and in that order. The first priority will be air using the board as it come out of the box. That will be how the majority of users will run the board. We're hoping to get most of the answers out for tech support before the problems arise. Next will be water and exploring different cooling options for the board if that's needed. Then it will be time to put it under phase or some dry ice to see how it stacks up against the competition. It will take quite a bit for it to outperform either of my 965 boards.

Excellent.

I do appreciate it when new boards are properly tested as the majority would use it (stock out of the box on air) as I think it really shows the boards real life in the wild performance that anyone should be able to achieve at home.

600fsb + is excellent for world records but if it s**t's blue bricks opening notepad its no good for me.

From my experience the P35 chip will definitely out perform the 965 in term's of fsb but at the same time may not be that useful to Joe Bloggs on air/water with a 500-550fsb walled cpu.

I think the performance will all come down to how well the DFI handles the DDR2 memory which in typical DFI style should be good.

I see the DFI P35 holds the single & duel channel world records so provided you can pull good performance rather than just a jaw dropping speed out of the board I think its going to be a killer.

The P35 chipset has more raw FSB speed potential then the 965 does. But so for I haven't seen anything earth shattering in the actual performance at those speeds.

I've seen a couple of the DFI boards running the memory at 1200+, 5-5-5 using less then 2.0 volts. This seems great at first look but I'm questioning how this is possible. The easiest solution would be loosen the chipset latencies. But if that is what Oskar has done those speeds won't mean much in terms of performance.

Another thing of interest. Have you noticed the almost total lack of 3d benches at the speeds the board is being shown capable of. Strange.

The P35 chipset has more raw FSB speed potential then the 965 does. But so for I haven't seen anything earth shattering in the actual performance at those speeds.

I haven't seen anything earth shattering either on any P35 board the performance advantage is small compared to 975/965 but what I see is that a lot of people are able to get stomping performance with relative ease for example my ASUS P5K Deluxe can easily do 475fsb on minimum voltages which basically means you can just bung a chip in wham the fsb up to 400-450 & leave the RAM at stock speed/auto & you got a killer rig.

I've seen a couple of the DFI boards running the memory at 1200+, 5-5-5 using less then 2.0 volts. This seems great at first look but I'm questioning how this is possible. The easiest solution would be loosen the chipset latencies. But if that is what Oskar has done those speeds won't mean much in terms of performance.

I can do 1200mhz + 5.5.5.... quite easily on both my ASUS & Abit just for benching but it takes a fair bit more than 2.0v.

The latency difference between my ASUS & Abit is quite large clock for clock the ASUS being the leader & can hammer the Abit big style on latency & memory bandwidth but it doesn't make any real performance advantage in anything I have done.

The only real advantage of P35 over 975, RD600, 965, 680i is the ease of which you can make performance which is great for the masses imo its just a shame you cant do SLI with P35 as I think it would be a killer combo for 3D.

Another thing of interest. Have you noticed the almost total lack of 3d benches at the speeds the board is being shown capable of. Strange.

Yes I have noticed this but the way I looked at it was these tests were carried out in a probably sub zero lab with cherry picked components as a PR stunt which got them a couple of records & fair play to them too for pushing technology off the scale but to be honest if I had an unlimited supply of bits/money & skilled peeps to draw from I could do the same too its a bit like Formula one the teams with the most money always win.

P35 is strong in 3D but like you have sort of implied as of yet we don't know how much of that speed can be layed down onto the ground but I have confidence you will be answering that fairly shortly :D

Welp, neither of my RAM sets sold on EBay so I'm may be listing them here on DIY Street before I RMA them. Anyone interested in either a 2GB Kit of OCZ Flex DDR2-800 for 160 shipped, or a 4GB kit of Mushkin DDR2-800 for 290 shipped? Both are under retail, they both work perfectly, I just don't need them with that new kit coming. RMAing them I'll be taking around a 70 dollar hit from the original prices of 169.99 & 299.99, so I'd rather sell them and take a smaller loss.

You might consider holding onto them until RAM prices rebound a little bit. I saw the same trend with DDR1 RAM, glad I held onto my kits until they got a little scarce.

Then I was able to get a fair market value for them.