Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OG, Hows the EVGA treating you? Loving my Asus so far.

I'm diggin it perty good...tinkering with 4ghz...tinkering with 1200+ on the memory...none of it orthos stable but having a blast none the less :) Seeing if I can't get a 3.8 with the memory around 1200 right now for the DB. She's puttin up a little bit of a fight but I'm learnin' (or at least think I am) what makes her tick...

I haven't been anywhere near 1200 with the memory as of yet. Going to need something a little better than stock cooling on the northbridge to get that far. I have to come up with something to cool the power regs when I ditch the heatpipe set up Asus has on the board. Might be time to build a waterblock and set up a loop just for the board.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't been anywhere near 1200 with the memory as of yet. Going to need something a little better than stock cooling on the northbridge to get that far. I have to come up with something to cool the power regs when I ditch the heatpipe set up Asus has on the board. Might be time to build a waterblock and set up a loop just for the board.

I've just got the P5N32-E SLi. I'm going to try out 2 of the Thermalright HR-09 U and see how they work on the MOSFETs. They're passive and claim to drop the temps 5-8 Celsius, not much comparing to a water block. Not sure what to use on the NB and SB. Is there a way to read these temps? I'm only getting the CPU and MB temps.

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 F25 BIOS

G.Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4MB L2

eVGA 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI-E 16x 97.94 drivers, 607/1000

WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA150 Raid0

Seagate Baracuda ST3250620AS SATA 3.0 250GB Raid0

SAMSUNG Black 18x SATA DVD Burner

FSP Group FX700-GLN Power Supply

Zalman CNPS 9700 NT

NZXT Zero Black Case

==========

[b]FSB & Memory Config[/b]
CPU Freq, Mhz....................... - 3545.0
CPU Multiplier...................... - 9x
FSB - Memory Clock Mode............. - Unlinked
FSB - Memory Ratio ................. - Auto
FSB - QDR (Mhz)..................... - 1575
MEM (DDR), Mhz...................... - 900

[b]Memory Timing Setting[/b]
Memopry Timing Setting.............. - Expert
tCL (CAS Latency)................... - 4 
tRCD................................ - 4
tRP................................. - 4
tRAS................................ - 12
Command Per Clock (CMD)............. - 2T

tRRD................................ - Auto (3)
tRC................................. - Auto (21)
tWR................................. - Auto (6)
tWTR................................ - Auto (8)
tREF................................ - Auto (7.8uS)

[b]System Clocks[/b]
PCIe x16_1 (Mhz).................... - 125MHz
PCIe x16_3 (Mhz).................... - Auto
PCIe x16_2 (Mhz).................... - Auto
PCIe x16_1 (Mhz).................... - Auto
nForce SPP --> nForce MCP........... - 5
nForce SPP <-- nForce MCP........... - 5

[b]System Voltages[/b]
CPU Core............................ - 1.35000v
CPU FSB............................. - 1.3v
Memory.............................. - 2.050v
nForce SPP.......................... - 1.35v
nForce MCP.......................... - 1.500v
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP............... - 1.45v

==========

Alright you can see my machine above. I am working on overclocking this rig right now with the above settings. I have a question about temps. I am seeing many things.

Coretemp is showing 33-34 idle and 44-45 with orthos running after about 10 mins. Speedfan shows 40-41 idle and 55-57 with orthos after about 10 mins. nvidia monitor is showing 39-40 idle and about 55-57 with orthos running for 10 mins. Am I ok? I think I should be fine since I have never topped 60 and temps seem to be ok from what I can tell. I am prepping for an ocdb entry and all 3dmarks complete and so does aquamark. I did orthos for about 6 hours last night but was impatient this morning and wanted to use my computer. HAHA. I will restart orthos tonight when I hit the sack.

Alright you can see my machine above. I am working on overclocking this rig right now with the above settings. I have a question about temps. I am seeing many things.

Coretemp is showing 33-34 idle and 44-45 with orthos running after about 10 mins. Speedfan shows 40-41 idle and 55-57 with orthos after about 10 mins. nvidia monitor is showing 39-40 idle and about 55-57 with orthos running for 10 mins. Am I ok? I think I should be fine since I have never topped 60 and temps seem to be ok from what I can tell. I am prepping for an ocdb entry and all 3dmarks complete and so does aquamark. I did orthos for about 6 hours last night but was impatient this morning and wanted to use my computer. HAHA. I will restart orthos tonight when I hit the sack.

I think the temps are fine. Couldn't hold out for two more hours, lol.

mknwatt Everest or Speedfan can monitor the NB/MCH temp.

I'm thinking my MB ASUS P5N32-E SLi only has sensors for the CPU and MB. I've not been able to see any temps on the NB and it gets really hot. Using Everest, tried PC Probe II but never used Speedfan. I'm thinking of using a waterblock on the NB and keep the Extreme Spirit II on the SB.

The P5N32-E SLI doesn't have any built in sensors for the NB/MCH.

There are 2 sensor hookups on the board which you can use an aftermarket temp probe with though. Why they wouldn't include sensors is beyond me.

Well, the above started to get more and more unstable yesterday. So I started to tinker a bit. I cannot seem to get the system stable over 1575 now. I did do some testing and got the memory running DDR2-1000 and it seems really really stable. Now just to get the chip stable and start testing again!

[b]FSB & Memory Config[/b]
CPU Freq, Mhz....................... - 3375.0
FSB - Memory Clock Mode............. - Unlinked
FSB - Memory Ratio ................. - Auto
FSB - QDR (Mhz)..................... - 1500
MEM (DDR), Mhz...................... - 1000

[b]Memory Timing Setting[/b]
Memopry Timing Setting.............. - Expert
tCL (CAS Latency)................... - 4
tRCD................................ - 4
tRP................................. - 4
tRAS................................ - 12
Command Per Clock (CMD)............. - 2T

tRRD................................ - Auto (3)
tRC................................. - Auto (21)
tWR................................. - Auto (6)
tWTR................................ - Auto (8)
tREF................................ - Auto (7.8uS)

[b]System Clocks[/b]
PCIe x16_1 (Mhz).................... - 125MHz
PCIe x16_3 (Mhz).................... - Auto
PCIe x16_2 (Mhz).................... - Auto
PCIe x16_1 (Mhz).................... - Auto
nForce SPP --> nForce MCP........... - 5
nForce SPP <-- nForce MCP........... - 5

[b]System Voltages[/b]
CPU Core............................ - 1.35000v
CPU FSB............................. - 1.3v
Memory.............................. - 2.200v
nForce SPP.......................... - 1.35v
nForce MCP.......................... - 1.500v
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP............... - 1.45v

How does this look? Any recommendations?

I cannot get this CPU to have consistent results. It ran for 6 hours or so the first night. Nothing changed and it ran for 30 mins the second night. I am down to the above settings but it failed at about 4 hours last night. I am really beginning to think I need to do two things to get the results that I want. First I need to scrap the Zalman and get a Tuniq. I think I messed up on that decision. Secondly, I think once that is done I need to bump the voltage to the CPU. My memory is now running great but I would like to hit about 3.5 on my overclock.

Junfan, I have absolutely no experience with the eVGA board so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I've been playing with an E6600 and some DDR2-800 memory for several months now.

The revision B processors seem to require more voltage than the revision A processors, but also scale pretty well with voltage increases. In my particular rig 3.5ghz requires no less than 1.5 vcore to get orthos stable.

My real challenge was getting the most out of my memory while remembering the mantra "cpu clocks are king". In the end, I settled for slightly underclocking my memory and using tight timings. I never did get my rig stable at 3.6ghz, but I don't think its a processor issue. I think the primary culprit is heat at that speed, regardless of the voltage.

In the end I settled at 3.411 at 1.46 vcore for 24/7 operation. Even at that my cpu runs at 55>56C under heavy load and that is with pretty good air cooling.

I'm not sure that running an E6600 with air cooling at 3.6ghz 24/7 is such a great idea, even if you can get there. IMHO 3.4 - 3.5ghz under air is about the max for long term use.

i couldn't agree more with you wevsspot. for air 1.47 should be a max temp for 24/7 use as these c2d procs produce alot of freaking heat. under water 1.55v should be a max for 24/7 usage too and in phase change cooling 1.65v should be a max too. under ln2 any voltage goes but who runs ln2 24/7 anyways, lol