Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

This entry is by no means earth shattering, but Steinberg's VST audio engine loves tight memory timings and a fast FSB. The default voltages all around helps keep the system fans almost silent.

just out of curiosity, is it possible to put a PCIe firewire card in the other x16 slot instead of another vid card for crossfire? Haven't had a reason to not use the on-board firewire controller, but if it would work in the x16 slot, all my firewire hardware could be attached directly to the MCH instead of using the DMI from the southbridge.

Anyway, when this record(music) gets finished, I'll crank up the volts and see what it can really do.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech

@mknwatt

Quick headsup on your latest submission... I think you may have got your Prime screenshots mixed up, or messed up on your multiplier.

Post says 444mhz FSB w/ 7x multi = 3108mhz (nice BTW)

Screenshot shows 444mhz FSB w/ 6x multi = 2664mhz (s/b doable at stock volts?)

Can't be sure if the whole run is off, dunno what the scores would/should be.

@mknwatt

Quick headsup on your latest submission... I think you may have got your Prime screenshots mixed up, or messed up on your multiplier.

C1E is enabled. Without a load the multi will drop to x6.

@mknwatt

C1E is enabled. Without a load the multi will drop to x6.

Yep, FSB is set to 444MHz. When it's at idle it drops the multi to x6, loaded it jumps to x7. VCore stays at 1.26v (per CPU-Z) and drops a little under load 1.245v.

I'm beginning to like the C1E feature :)

Guest LithoTech

Doh! I saw the energy savings settings were on, wondered how well they worked at 4.6ghz lol, but it never clicked that it was the reason for the lower multi!

I assume C1E etc works fine with that clock? Makes the entry all the more impressive!

Guest LithoTech

Praz - Smart! As always!

I've got a DFI LP Dark P35-T2RS I prepping to make an entry. Yet there is no template for it in the list sticky.

mknwatt's UT P35-T2R is very very similar, containing a few extras but missing nothing. I can easily edit it, and submit it for approval. Do I really need to take pics of the BIOS for this?

I also plan to make a custom worksheet for this board. It'll have to be two pages though, in order to fit everything in. Once I get a first draft off, I'll post it here for discussion and edits.

When I capture my screenshots I normally run a minimized instance of Super_Pi so the displayed values are correct.

I did this for my next entry so there will no confusion, except for the prime95 3D06 screenshot....still have prime running @ 8hrs 1m in one of the ss and another ss at idle showing prime 8hrs 10m stable. Still working on the OC, maybe try for a higher FSB then 467x9. Got it to boot @ 550 and ran some SPi @ 545FBS :)

mknwatt's UT P35-T2R is very very similar, containing a few extras but missing nothing. I can easily edit it, and submit it for approval.

Nice LithoTech, thanks for the gesture!

I copied Praz's bios code, saved a lot of time for me.

Praz - Smart! As always!

That's the truth! :P

Guest LithoTech

Submitted for ridicule... err approval! A Prescott in a DFI LanParty Dark P35-T2RS!

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...4&postcount=102

Short Description:

250x16 @ 4.0GHz 1.37vcore (BIOS) 1.39V (O/S)

5-5-5-15 1000MHz 1.90vdimm

Couple notes:

I am liking this board. Want it to replace another board I got for my testing station (an nVidia chipset), that wouldn't boot the Prescott. So not only was the Prescott the only CPU I had ready to go when the board came in, and not only did the board pass it's first test of booting the Prescott, but within an hour or two it was priming at 4.0GHz.

This CPU also did 4GHz in an Asus P5B Plus, although not without a lot of fighting and much voltage (1.5vcore). I recall it took about a week to get it there, if not longer. But it finally did get there, something that no other board has been able to do -- stable. There was an AssRock that got it to 4GHz, but wouldn't pass prime. Volts were pinned, ram on the lowest divider, it benched like crap but did get through a fairly extensive suite.

So yeah, I am liking this board. One hour into it really, the second hour was installing the OS. Nearly all settings auto, only 3 ticks up on the VID special add, and 1.9Vdimm. Passed a loop of memtest, and I thought I best get an OS in so I can see if it primes. Total boots on the thing gotta be less than 10.

Vid card was the best spare I had in reach, used old drivers for it as well, came in with the OS.

Now I can't wait to get the stupid thing out (Prescott!), and drop in an E2180 and a better vid card. So off I go to tear down another system to get at the E2180... ooooh, better heatsink on that one too! LOL. Now, where the hell have I got a decent vid card to swap the 6800 for...

Submitted for ridicule... err approval! A Prescott in a DFI LanParty Dark P35-T2RS!

Looks good, nice OCDB layout ;) bios appears similar to the LP UT P35-T2R.

It took 1.47v to get my P4 630 to only 3.7GHz. Maybe I should test it out again......probably not, since I'm hooked on the C2D.

Nice OC :D

Guest LithoTech

Tyty!

The BIOS isn't really similar, it's exactly the same! /flex

The only difference is a few missing craptions in the DK version.

I'm wondering if you have the built-in Memtest feature? It is missing in the DK. While the latest ISO version is always newer, I still liked to use it because it was way fast to boot, and you didn't have to change your boot order -- simply flip on Memtest, and when your done, flip it off. It's been showing up in other motherboards too, so I thought maybe DFI still includes it in the higher end models?

I am slowly finding out more about the board, but haven't done anything more with the Prescott, or dug up the E2180 yet. These boards don't have PCI-e 2.0? And no 1T command rate setting -- few would use it anyway. There are more fan headers on it than the manual shows, got to figger out which ones are speed controlable or just RPM stats (if that). And the Freezer fan slows down no matter how low I set the tolerance to, other DFIs I've used (as well as other mobos) always pinned the fan full speed when set to 25 (stop) and 26 (full) in the BIOS. Not sure if this is normal, or a characteristic of my particular board.

I've been working on a custom BIOS & Memory Worksheet for these boards, and have the first draft of page 1 done for everyone's perusal. I managed to fit all the most important stuff on a single page, but to complete it I still need to draft up a Page 2 with all the delay settings and phase adjust. The text came from the OCDB template, so should be pretty accurate, but I've never done one of these that was 100% right on the first draft, so watch for anything missing that you'd prefer in, or visa versa, as well as typos. Once I use these for a few columns, I usually see something I'd prefer different.

I imagine that since these Intel chipsets are so similar across the board, that this worksheet will be very generic in that it'll suit any P35 or X38 mobo. Hoping to get some comments and feedback as to how well it works with the Gigabyte boards too. So don't feel left out if your P35 isn't a DFI!

Here's a link to the PDF:

DFI LP Dark P35-T2RS Bios & Memory Worksheet

Here's a screenshot for forum viewing:

433x600em2.jpg