Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set my MCP to 200 & disabled a load of things in the BIOS that may have made a difference & the rig is still exactly the same (rebooting)

I run Orthos @ 3.7GHz for 6 hours yesterday & then the rig just rebooted.

I then knocked it up to 3.8GHz & again Orthos run 15 minutes then the rig rebooted so I then run Prime95 multi-thread version & it rebooted at 15 minutes as well.

I think that eliminates Orthos as the problem.

I have loads of fans on the rig atm & my temps are good 55-60oC on the CPU 40-45oC on the NB 25-30oC on the SB & all my power circuit coils etc are under 40oC measured with a laser thermometer so I am sure its not a temp problem.

I have been up & down quite excessively with the voltages & found they make no difference at all to the reboot/crash point so again I am fairly sure the voltages are ok.

The only thing I can think is my 680i chipset doesn't like going over 400fsb but the only way I can really prove this I think is to buy an E6700/X6800 with a higher multiplier or maybe swap the board out for an EVGA 680i A1 or maybe a DFI 680LT if I can find them.

The only other thing that I can think of that may be causing the reboots is my PSU although its a 700w OCZ GameXstreme job that should have loads of power I do know the 680i's drink a good bit of power & couple that with my 8800 overclocked as well could it just be my rig is flaking out due to lack of power ?

EDIT: It’s not the PSU/8800 as its the same with a 6200TC & I gave an e6700 a run on the board too & again it only wants to do 3.7GHz all I can think of is the boards BIOS wont allow it to be pushed its more of a Joe six pack plug-in super hero than a tweakers board.

I have now given up with the Striker & just ordered a DFI 680 so if anyone wants a mint nearly new Striker have a look at my FS Thread.

Craig.

Wevspot, great stuff man.

A question for you, what was your max stable fsb @ stock voltage (~1.35v) ?

I am @ 3ghz and temps are ~50c under load, very easy overclock.

I was considering going up a bit for regular use and folding , all your fault now.:)

Sorry for the late reply. I've kind of been out of pocket - very busy at work.

Anyway, my rig went right to 3.0ghz at stock voltages. At that point I had to start shooting the juice to her.

1.40 vcore to hit 3.1ghz, and then up to 1.44 vcore to hit 3.2ghz and then up to 1.46 vcore to hit 3.4ghz.

I didn't do much playing to find the absolute lowest stable voltages at the various clocks mentioned above.

I've been pushing the FSB on my setup, running on the 7 multi I'm able to get to 520 stable so far with the stock cooling on the N/B, S/B and Power regs.. (Took 2 weeks to get stable at 500+) The real problem is Orthos is still showing the CPU at the default multi of 8 which make it looks like a bogus entry.

Just trying to get this out there so my entry doesn't get deleted. Should have it finished up this weekend and will be finishing up the mill work on the waterblocks I'm building for the power regs sometime next week. Then I'll be putting the CPU back under the phase unit and going for a nice 4G entry. :)

That will be great CPDMF. It gives me some ref. points, just like Chump's post.

I'm now able to run 1:1 ratio. I think I'm might top out at 515 or so FSB. (fingers crossed)

You should post some pic of your waterblocks when there all done. That will be one cool rig. :cool:

I'm running a seperate loop for the power regs and northbridge, the south bridge will just get whatever active heatsink will fit. I will get some pics of the blocks as I progress with them.

The heatpipes sound like a good idea but all it really does is link hot components together and the fin arrangement just isn't good enough to get rid of the heat. Once my CPU hits that break point where it wants a good amount of voltage I have trouble keeping the northbridge temps under contol, even with a couple of 92mm fans going full speed over the N/B and mosfet area.

I hit a wall at 3.9 last time I had this CPU on phase, mainly due to the evap tubing being in the way of getting a fan right over the N/B. (Or so I hope anyway). Nothbridge temps were peaking at 65C so I gave up on pushing it until I could come up with another solution. We'll see what happens.

I've got my E6300 to pass Orthos @ 515FSB 1:1 ratio. The funny thing - I dropped my vcore to 1.4750V and upped the NB to 1.65V. Passed 3DMark2001SE and ran othors 18hours, lol.

It's not wanting clock much higher. I'm hitting some walls, not sure if it's the cpu, ram, secondary timings, or heat though. It's going a lot better than I hoped. Wanted to hit 3.2G, but it easily went pass that.

The first thing I did was ditch the passive heatpipe setup. Didn't even want to bother with fans and hot NB temp, causing more heat draw to the power regs. I did replace the power reg heatsinks with a couple passive coolers. There now warm to the touch.

Now I just have to finish the case it's in, to much dust floating around - moved puters down in the basement.

Has anyone had an issue where they cant get the DFI Infinity and E6600 setup passed 380FSB? I made a thread about it but its annoying that my cpu can hit 3.43ghz with ease but cant go any higher since the Mobo wont boot passed 380FSB

It would appear that the issues you are having is not the limit of the board. Suggest you have a look in the OCDB. There are a lot of entries there at 400+ FSB on the 975.

It would appear that the issues you are having is not the limit of the board. Suggest you have a look in the OCDB. There are a lot of entries there at 400+ FSB on the 975.

What can I do to fix the problem then? Change the bios? Or Change the bios to one which lets me change the Multi. Its just weird that I have a stable system at 380FSB 1.3volts @ 3.4GHZ but when I move the FSB to 390 it goes black with the led lights on or it wont boot at all on a 10 FSB increase. If anything it should post at least. I am really befuddled as to what I am doing wrong

Whats funny is that I would have thought my temps would be lower even with 1.32v at full load (2 orthos, 1 prime 95, and occt test) @ 3.4ghz my Core temps hover around 49C to 50C which to me should be lower since the NB is at 45C. I will try more volts and see what it does.