Sign in to follow this  
alexandre.ce

[ULTRA-D] SATA 2 HDD brought me problems!!!

im waiting on a new cable to determine if the cable or the sata drive itself is the problem.

i did have an issue with the sata drivers and windows not finding the drive on my nf4,uninstalled the sata driver and it worked fine after the reinstall.

Gonna do that, but I can't understand how drivers could affect boot taking into account SO isn't loaded at all.

winxp doesnt know sata from floppy drives.has to have the sata driver to find sata.

in WD lifeguard, WD tools has to set the drive as a boot drive if its sata.it gives you a choice of os xpsp1,xpsp2 2000,etc,use your WD lifeguard tools floppy or download from

website and use HD setup tool.when i used WD tools to copy my Ide drive.xp couldnt

find the drive unless i had WD tools set the drive up as boot drive.copied it 3 times till i found out the problem.WD installed the boot registry for xp.if it installs but then doesnt

restart its because xp is trying to run the sata drive as an ide drive.make sure xp installs the silicon image driver for non raid if youre running non raid.

winxp doesnt know sata from floppy drives.has to have the sata driver to find sata.

in WD lifeguard, WD tools has to set the drive as a boot drive if its sata.it gives you a choice of os xpsp1,xpsp2 2000,etc,use your WD lifeguard tools floppy or download from

website and use HD setup tool.when i used WD tools to copy my Ide drive.xp couldnt

find the drive unless i had WD tools set the drive up as boot drive.copied it 3 times till i found out the problem.WD installed the boot registry for xp.if it installs but then doesnt

restart its because xp is trying to run the sata drive as an ide drive.make sure xp installs the silicon image driver for non raid if youre running non raid.

Firstly, I wonder if it'll help me with the boot problems? I mean... the problem isn't only radomly freezes during xp loading, but also detection error during post.

Furthermore, I've loaded that datalifeguard from a floppy because the windows program says the drive contains XP and can't do that while the OS is loaded. In addition, when I ran WD program, the interface had strange colors and it's a bit dificult to determine the choices there....

Lastly, the bad news, the program informed I'll lose all my data... aproximately 70Gb... :( ...

In Data Lifeguard the drive isn't recognized properly... I have to click the tab located on the right side to see it... there appears the 3 partitions of the drive... should I choose the entire HDD or just the partition where windows is located?

... there appears the 3 partitions of the drive... should I choose the entire HDD or just the partition where windows is located?

This plot is beginning to thicken considerably. Now we start hearing about about overclocking and multiple partitions on the hard drive you're using. Frankly Alexandre your wasting your time and our time if these little tidbits of information pop up here 2 or 3 days after the fact.

Here is exactly what you need to do. In this order.

1. Backup your important data because it will be lost otherwise.

2. Perform a full and proper CMOS clear as per ExRoadies' guide noted in this thread earlier.

3. Remove all your gear from the case.

4. Reassemble the hardware per the NF4 build guide outside of the case using only minimal required hardware.

5. Boot computer, enter BIOS load optimized defaults.

6. Reboot computer and use the WD utility to delete existing disk partions and to reformat the drive.

7. After format is completed reboot the computer and enter the BIOS, double check your boot order. Make sure it is set to;

First Boot Device - CD ROM

Second Boot Device - Disable

Third Boot Device- Disable

8. Put the Windows Install disk in the optical drive and boot the pc. Proceed with Windows installation. If you want to partition that 250gb drive, during the Windows install it will allow you to create a partition for the Windows OS. I always use a minimum of 30gb but that's my preference.

After the Windows installation is completed, you've installed your drivers and updated Windows, you can use the Windows Disk Management utility to format and allocate the remaining drive space. You'll also want to go back into BIOS and reorder your boot sequence so the hard drive is now the first boot device.

Do not use any USB devices during the above procedure.

This plot is beginning to thicken considerably. Now we start hearing about about overclocking and multiple partitions on the hard drive you're using. Frankly Alexandre your wasting your time and our time if these little tidbits of information pop up here 2 or 3 days after the fact.

Here is exactly what you need to do. In this order.

1. Backup your important data because it will be lost otherwise.

2. Perform a full and proper CMOS clear as per ExRoadies' guide noted in this thread earlier.

3. Remove all your gear from the case.

4. Reassemble the hardware per the NF4 build guide outside of the case using only minimal required hardware.

5. Boot computer, enter BIOS load optimized defaults.

6. Reboot computer and use the WD utility to delete existing disk partions and to reformat the drive.

7. After format is completed reboot the computer and enter the BIOS, double check your boot order. Make sure it is set to;

First Boot Device - CD ROM

Second Boot Device - Disable

Third Boot Device- Disable

8. Put the Windows Install disk in the optical drive and boot the pc. Proceed with Windows installation. If you want to partition that 250gb drive, during the Windows install it will allow you to create a partition for the Windows OS. I always use a minimum of 30gb but that's my preference.

After the Windows installation is completed, you've installed your drivers and updated Windows, you can use the Windows Disk Management utility to format and allocate the remaining drive space. You'll also want to go back into BIOS and reorder your boot sequence so the hard drive is now the first boot device.

Do not use any USB devices during the above procedure.

The guide isn't clear on if I should remove ram sticks or not? Should I?

And, sincerely, sorry for wasting your and other people's time... indeed I have lots of other things to do, work in a city far awary from my house and don't really have much time to spend with the rig. Have never thought that SATA hdd would bring me so many worries. Gonna do all those steps but, next time, I'll go with Seagate.

Do your initial build with only one stick of RAM installed in the orange slot closest to the top of the motherboard. After you complete the initial build and before you go any further run MEMTEST from you BIOS. Run tests number five and number eight at least twenty loops. If that passes, run tests one through eight a total of five passes. If all tests come back error free proceed with the instructions I've noted above.

I may have come off a little strong with the "wasting my time" statement, I have a choice on how I spend my time, and I enjoy spending some of it here. Mainly I was trying to stress the importance of providing a complete explanation of exactly what the situation is.

Lets keep working this to it's successful resolution. I'm not a DFI employee, I'm not a WD employee, so I'm not gonna blow smoke up your butt and tell you there's no way there's a problem with your motherboard or your hard drive. But it's 1000 times more common that there's a user problem than there's a hardware problem.

Let's get this whipped. Do everything I've outlined above and keep me posted.

p.s. I'd also grab a spare SATA cable so we'll have it just in case.

Do your initial build with only one stick of RAM installed in the orange slot closest to the top of the motherboard. After you complete the initial build and before you go any further run MEMTEST from you BIOS. Run tests number five and number eight at least twenty loops. If that passes, run tests one through eight a total of five passes. If all tests come back error free proceed with the instructions I've noted above.

I may have come off a little strong with the "wasting my time" statement, I have a choice on how I spend my time, and I enjoy spending some of it here. Mainly I was trying to stress the importance of providing a complete explanation of exactly what the situation is.

Lets keep working this to it's successful resolution. I'm not a DFI employee, I'm not a WD employee, so I'm not gonna blow smoke up your butt and tell you there's no way there's a problem with your motherboard or your hard drive. But it's 1000 times more common that there's a user problem than there's a hardware problem.

Let's get this whipped. Do everything I've outlined above and keep me posted.

p.s. I'd also grab a spare SATA cable so we'll have it just in case.

Indeed, I've changed sata cable twice up to now... gonna get one another that I have from a dead epox mobo 9NDA3+ to test as well. In 3 or 4 hours I'll be back here... gotta meet my gf and, surely, that's more important this sunday.

Thx for your help and I'll keep you informed.

p.s.: I understand your point of view... as a matter of fact, sometimes the point isn't what you say, but the way you say the things.

i use only WD ide and sata,good drives,but they are delicate as are all HD,my problem is probably because i jounced it good when transfering it.if the WD

lifeguard doesnt recognize it properly, its probably damaged.the program is good it will recognize and read ibm and other HDs and copy off of them,if they are fat not nt,and it will copy fat partitions from non WD drives,but if it will not recognize its own drives there is a problem with the drive.the WD

diagnostic utilities will find the problem if the drive is not too messed up.

i use only WD ide and sata,good drives,but they are delicate as are all HD,my problem is probably because i jounced it good when transfering it.if the WD

lifeguard doesnt recognize it properly, its probably damaged.the program is good it will recognize and read ibm and other HDs and copy off of them,if they are fat not nt,and it will copy fat partitions from non WD drives,but if it will not recognize its own drives there is a problem with the drive.the WD

diagnostic utilities will find the problem if the drive is not too messed up.

There are 2 softwares: Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and Data Lifeguard Tools. Both of them recognize the HDD correctly in Windows. The first one also recognizes the drive properly in DOS. Lifeguard Tools is the one that doesn't see the drive with its name in DOS. I have to click the tab described as "unknown" to make possible the setup for it in DOS. I've ran the diagnostics tool 4 times up to now and there not seems to be any problem with it.

I've used the tool "Write Zeros to Drive" and, after that, performed the cleanning of CMOS as described here. All steps passed, I've re-installed the OS and, after that, installed the chipset drivers, updated windows and, finally, installed the video and sound drivers. Everything in its place, I've installed the Data Lifeguard Tools for Windows and, as soon as I loaded the software, I was informed that the drive had to go under WD setup to perform fully and perfectly in its size. I've accepted it and Windows was rebooted. Ran Lifeguard Tools again and the HDD was normally recognized.

I've changed the SATA cable as well... I can't assure that the problem is gone... next weekend, when I come back home, I'll have enough time to test the rig and reboot the system several times to see if the problem takes place again.

By the way, after the "Clear CMOS" steps, I've noticed that the post is poping up faster than before... I may be impressed but I just think something has changed.

Will keep you all informed on the situation next weekend.... hope this thread can help guys with same problem.

alexandre,

all of this is great news and sounds very promising. glad to have been able to help. keep us posted once you get home next weekend and can confirm your issue has been resolved.

cheers.

Hi guys!

Well, I've been analysing my system since thursday, when I came back home from work, and up to now the issue hasn't happened.

The steps I took to try fixing it were:

• used the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS and performed a full WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE operation;
  • Let the system built as the initial build guide (didn't take it out of the case);
  • performed the proper clear CMOS as described here in the forum;
  • got an extra SATA cable from a dead Epox 9NDA3+ - by the way the cable is harder than the one that comes with Ultra-D;
  • attached a Sata power connector directly from PSU to the HDD;
  • created 3 partitions in Windows installation setup and re-installed the OS, including drivers and windows updates;
  • installed the DATA LIFEGUARD TOOLS for windows and ran it. The software performed registry changes to make the WD2500KS work properly;

I have rebooted the system over 30 or 40 times since last thursday and the rig has worked fine. Sincerely hope this is the end of my worries.

Thx everyone for the help.