Nero Back-It-Up problem

zkissane

I recently upgraded from a single 250GB (my "original install drive") drive to a 4-drive RAID 0+1 setup. Long story short, my original install drive, which I had planned to hook up to another computer to siphon off my personal files, got its partition table destroyed. I'm running a data recovery program on it right now, but it's the second one today I've tried; the first one came up emptyhanded.

Anyway, onto my real question.

Before I did any mucking around, though, I had made a backup of my iTunes library using Nero Back-It-Up (on the free 30-day demo version). The backup spanned 7 DVD's. When I try to restore this backup, it will recover about 2.5 GB out of the 40, then it will stop and just pound the hard drive and CPU until I give up. The progress bar stops at 8% but the UI is still responsive (it hasn't crashed, hung or frozen, in other words). I let it run on a spare A64 3000 today for 7 hours before I stopped it.

I've Googled the problem, but the only relevant hit I got was "check the Nero forums". You have to have a licensed verion of Nero to read their forums. I have no problem with paying for software (and had planned on buying it once this backup restored successfully), but I'm of the opinion that Nero kind of screwed me here, and I'm not sure I'm willing to pay Nero money to (maybe) find something that will un-screw me.

Does anybody have any insight as to how I can get this Nero backup restored properly?

Well, we use the same software to do large graphics backups here at work, some of the sessions being over 100GB. I have noticed that sometimes the progress bar dosnt update for quite a long time, but over 7 hours seems a bit much.

If you werent so far away, i would just say to send me a copy and i will see if i can 'un-back-it-up' but i dont think thats the best way to go because it will cost time and money and could be a waste of both if it dosnt work.

What are the restrictions on the demo version? Perhaps it states somewhere that you NEED to have the full version to restore your backup?

I will try to get onto the nero forums here at work and see what i can dig up, im kinda busy atm (as you can tell ;P) but i will try to get it done before the end of the day here. (10:10am at time of post)

Guest Kobalt

Nero's backup program is horrid. It doesn't even verify correctly. If by chance you get a error on one of the CD/DVDs, it STILL continues on to the last CD/DVD, it doesn't even rewrite the bad CD/DVD!

This was v6.x, dunno if they fixed all the problems with it in the latest version.