Sign in to follow this  
Dedodido

What SuperPi times are good for 1M?

After recently overclocking my CPU, I did some testing in SuperPi, and I'm wondering whether the time was good. It did the 1M calculation in 32s.

Guest caffeinejunkie

Thats pretty good especially if that was at stock. At 3014 I get low 27s-26s

A stock 3500+ at optimum performance (new windows) should do about 38 seconds in SuperPi.

I was able to run 27 (high) seconds with my 3700+ @ 3.02 ghz. My Opteron 175 @ 2.75 ghz runs 1M at 31 seconds.

This small result table could illustrate what a PIV or AMD64 system can do @ certain speeds: ram latency is critical in this test.

superpi3zm.th.jpg

This list come from www.ocmexico.com. Hope it helps.

Good luck

opty 165 @ 2.9 got 29s but i was running it through a remote desktop window with my torrents going so ill run it again later.

First off, IMHO 32 seconds ain't bad for 1M SuperPI.

But if you aren't satisfied with merely good, and you wanna go for great, well lemme tell you something Bub, SuperPI is very sensitive to RAM tweaking. So tighten up that DRAM mister (if you can)!

You can lower that SuperPI score by tightening up the RAM settings, especially the big four:

Tcl; Tras; Trcd; and Trp;

(1) Make sure to run the big four at your SPD values, or try a little faster, like try lowering Cas Latency (Tcl) by 0.5. (but might not BOOT, and might not even POST, so be ready to CCMOS, and reload CMOS.)

(2) Then remember to employ these rules of thumb/rough guidelines/hoary chestnuts/admonitions:

Trc = Tras + Trp;

and

Trfc = Trc + (2 to 4);

(3) Next lower the little four: Trrd; Twr, Twtr and Trwt: go for 3-3-2-3 on these, which should work, then try 2-2-1-2; and see if that gets like 0.5 sec. off your SuperPI time; then try something crazy like 2-2-1-1, oh man that's tight, and probably won't work, but try it anyway just to make sure.

(4) Next tweak is the great and mysterious Tref! Oh yeah, but don't be scared, cuz it's EZ like a Sunday morning, just check out your Tref score in A64 Tweaker which will give you a figure like 200 MHZ 3.9us (which is 200 megahertz and 3.9 microseconds) and then go to Dracula's awesome but totally confusing Tref table at http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...cula+tref+table

and look up youf value on the A64 table (use the right table now), and use the HIGHER number as your BIOS setting. If you can improve this setting, you should see some improvement in SuperPI.

(5)Next is find how strong you can set DRAM drive strength and DRAM data drive strength, the higher you can go the faster SuperPI you'll get, I can promise you that, but maybe you can't go strong, and have to stay with weak or normal, but don't feel bad that you are weak, as these terms are retarded and don't seem to mean anything, other than as a way to differntiate the different settings;

(6) Now you are ready to move into the deep end of the pool, and join the advanced level kids, and are going into the minutiae of DRAM tweaking, and now you can officially wear the pocket protector of the ub3r g33k, as now you are now going to tweak DQS skew mode and DQS skew, which most people ignore and leave on auto, hah! not me, I mean um, er, you, YOU are gonna tweak this baby. Oh yeah, this is the good stuff, and this can shut you down and cause a re-install of windows, but you wanted to party with the big boys right? So have at it - go for fastest Skew mode and raise that skew up as high as it will go!

(7) Oh yeah and don't forget to raise your DRAM voltage as high as it will go under warranty. IMO, you really don't get enough bang per buck by going over the highest rated warranty setting, as this voids warranty and gives very little additional performace, except generating heat, which maybe good if you want to bake a potato inside your computer case, but otherwise is not so good.

(8) FSB? FSB? we forgot to talk about FSB right? Wrong, we are not worried about the speed of the DRAM, as we are tweaking the timings baby, and let the DRAM run at whatever you got now.

(9) Are you getting tired yet? Are you even still reading this reply? Yes? Okay you really are a l337 nerd, so let's move on to lowering Max Async Latency to 5.0! Woohoo, did that work? try 6.0 or 7.0 or 8.0 if not.

(10) Now try Read Preamble Time, see if you can get down to 5.0 nanoseconds, if you can, then you da man!

(11) Idle Cycle Limit - go for 16x at least, try 8x or 4x if you really feel it, and use the Force on this one, as that is really the only reliable way to tell if you have the right setting here (ha - that was a joke, u like the Star Wars no?, but it is kind of true, there is no way to tell here how low you should go, and this will affect your Tref so now you may have to change Tref - maybe we should have done this first, but it's too late now.)

(12) 32 byte granulation - This is the armpit of the BIOS, nobody seems to give a rat's butt about 32 byte granulation, I NEVER see anybody posting about "What should I set my 32 byte granulation too? What is going to happen to me if I enable 32 byte granulation, will monkeys fly out of my butt? Will eternal hellfire burn my immortal soul? What? But nobody seems to care. But not you- you care, because you want to squeeze every last drop of performance out of this melon you call a computer, so try Enabled here, and see if you get any faster in SuperPI, you just might.

(12) That is all I have for you right now, try that and lemme know if you shave any time off your SuperPI.

Anywhere between 28 and 33 seconds is about normal for speeds between 2.3 and 2.9ghz. This applies for both single and dual core. (roughly)

hmmmm im getting 37secs... somthings wrong....

Maybe yes, maybe no. If you're at 2.5GHz (512K cache) with ram at 177MHz then it wouldn't be that far off, especially if you have a few proceses running in the background.

First off, IMHO 32 seconds ain't bad for 1M SuperPI.

But if you aren't satisfied with merely good, and you wanna go for great, well lemme tell you something Bub, SuperPI is very sensitive to RAM tweaking. So tighten up that DRAM mister (if you can)!

You can lower that SuperPI score by tightening up the RAM settings, especially the big four:

Tcl; Tras; Trcd; and Trp;

(1) Make sure to run the big four at your SPD values, or try a little faster, like try lowering Cas Latency (Tcl) by 0.5. (but might not BOOT, and might not even POST, so be ready to CCMOS, and reload CMOS.)

(2) Then remember to employ these rules of thumb/rough guidelines/hoary chestnuts/admonitions:

Trc = Tras + Trp;

and

Trfc = Trc + (2 to 4);

(3) Next lower the little four: Trrd; Twr, Twtr and Trwt: go for 3-3-2-3 on these, which should work, then try 2-2-1-2; and see if that gets like 0.5 sec. off your SuperPI time; then try something crazy like 2-2-1-1, oh man that's tight, and probably won't work, but try it anyway just to make sure.

(4) Next tweak is the great and mysterious Tref! Oh yeah, but don't be scared, cuz it's EZ like a Sunday morning, just check out your Tref score in A64 Tweaker which will give you a figure like 200 MHZ 3.9us (which is 200 megahertz and 3.9 microseconds) and then go to Dracula's awesome but totally confusing Tref table at http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...cula+tref+table

and look up youf value on the A64 table (use the right table now), and use the HIGHER number as your BIOS setting. If you can improve this setting, you should see some improvement in SuperPI.

(5)Next is find how strong you can set DRAM drive strength and DRAM data drive strength, the higher you can go the faster SuperPI you'll get, I can promise you that, but maybe you can't go strong, and have to stay with weak or normal, but don't feel bad that you are weak, as these terms are retarded and don't seem to mean anything, other than as a way to differntiate the different settings;

(6) Now you are ready to move into the deep end of the pool, and join the advanced level kids, and are going into the minutiae of DRAM tweaking, and now you can officially wear the pocket protector of the ub3r g33k, as now you are now going to tweak DQS skew mode and DQS skew, which most people ignore and leave on auto, hah! not me, I mean um, er, you, YOU are gonna tweak this baby. Oh yeah, this is the good stuff, and this can shut you down and cause a re-install of windows, but you wanted to party with the big boys right? So have at it - go for fastest Skew mode and raise that skew up as high as it will go!

(7) Oh yeah and don't forget to raise your DRAM voltage as high as it will go under warranty. IMO, you really don't get enough bang per buck by going over the highest rated warranty setting, as this voids warranty and gives very little additional performace, except generating heat, which maybe good if you want to bake a potato inside your computer case, but otherwise is not so good.

(8) FSB? FSB? we forgot to talk about FSB right? Wrong, we are not worried about the speed of the DRAM, as we are tweaking the timings baby, and let the DRAM run at whatever you got now.

(9) Are you getting tired yet? Are you even still reading this reply? Yes? Okay you really are a l337 nerd, so let's move on to lowering Max Async Latency to 5.0! Woohoo, did that work? try 6.0 or 7.0 or 8.0 if not.

(10) Now try Read Preamble Time, see if you can get down to 5.0 nanoseconds, if you can, then you da man!

(11) Idle Cycle Limit - go for 16x at least, try 8x or 4x if you really feel it, and use the Force on this one, as that is really the only reliable way to tell if you have the right setting here (ha - that was a joke, u like the Star Wars no?, but it is kind of true, there is no way to tell here how low you should go, and this will affect your Tref so now you may have to change Tref - maybe we should have done this first, but it's too late now.)

(12) 32 byte granulation - This is the armpit of the BIOS, nobody seems to give a rat's butt about 32 byte granulation, I NEVER see anybody posting about "What should I set my 32 byte granulation too? What is going to happen to me if I enable 32 byte granulation, will monkeys fly out of my butt? Will eternal hellfire burn my immortal soul? What? But nobody seems to care. But not you- you care, because you want to squeeze every last drop of performance out of this melon you call a computer, so try Enabled here, and see if you get any faster in SuperPI, you just might.

(12) That is all I have for you right now, try that and lemme know if you shave any time off your SuperPI.

forget those ram guides. this post should be a sticky. humour and overclocking = good times. i really want to tweak now. how do you have the patience to test each setting for stability?

hmmmm im getting 37secs... somthings wrong....

Like FlowerKing said it could be normal, or that your windows isn't in optimal conditions.

I would check the RAM settings to make sure you are running the optimal there, just to be sure. Then run SuperPi in high cpu priority, that usually helps when you have too many system processes and services running.

My Opteron 175 @ 2.75 ghz runs SuperPi 1M at 31 seconds... I think yours at same speed should run maybe 1 second slower, at 32 m... so 2.5 ghz should run aroudn 35 seconds give or take one.

forget those ram guides. this post should be a sticky. humour and overclocking = good times. i really want to tweak now. how do you have the patience to test each setting for stability?
., thats the best RAM tweak guide I've seen... Great job n00bzor.:cool:

., thats the best RAM tweak guide I've seen... Great job n00bzor.:cool:

If the "THE" Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking guide is followed most of the ram timings will already be at their optimal settings. A few ms knocked off of Super_Pi will be useless if the system isn't stable for everything else. Other then to generate excess heat there is no reason to automatically raise DRAM voltage to it's max value. DRAM Voltage is another tweaking tool. Most all memory have a sweet spot for voltage. Voltage above that can actually be detrimental to stability. If Dynamic Counter is enabled, the IdleCycle Limit setting is pretty much irrelevant. With DC enabled ICL is adjusted dynamically. The only reason to enable 32 Byte Granularity is because of stability problems. Disabling this will always cause a decrease in memory bandwidth.