DFI Infinity 975X/G

Hey, all. I just wanted to make sure that the Corsair RAM (in sig) I'm planning on putting in a Infinity 975X is a-OK with this board; Corsair's compatibility tool doesn't include this board as an option, and I haven't had any response yet from their support forum. This is my first build and I want to make double careful there aren't any weird compatibility issues as I've heard exist on other boards. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am rather concerned about the Idle Temp being reported for the CPU. I checked that the heatsink was set correctly and all four clips are clicked in and were not loose.

So far the BIOS and several programs have been displaying temps from 53-67 degrees celsius. This is during idle times, when stressed at full load the temp reaches up to 80 degrees celsius. Since I built the system this morning, ran three full passes of Memtest 1.65 (though it seems the chipset is not supported in testing) no errors occured. I then installed XP SP2 Pro, all the current drivers and Windows updates. Installed and ran 3DMark 05/06. When I got to the point of using Stress Prime 2004, I monitored the the temp and was dismayed seeing it rise to 80 degrees celsius. I only allowed the stress test to run for 10 minutes. But since this morning till now my system has not shown any signs of instability.

I would appreciate any feedback of other users Idle temps in particular and advice from the forum staff, if this may be a common problem or unique.

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE 9/2/06

I figured it out. The Intel stock HSF is worthless. Used the flat edge of a plastic card to apply a thin very even layer of AS5 to the heatsink. When I positioned and set the heatsink down and firmly pressed in the clips till they clicked (this was with the motherboard removed to get good angles to check how well the heatsink was contacting). I let it sit there for a few minutes while checking how snug each clip was, then I uncrimped the clips and removed the HSF to check how much AS5 was now on the heatspreader. To my surprise almost no AS5 had come into contact with the heatspreader. This lead me to believe that there is a small amount of space where the heatsink and spreader are not able to contact.

I removed my Noctua NH-U12 from my AMD system and mounted it with AS5. It will take a while to cure, but so far immediate Idle temps are shown as 39-43 degrees celsius with the BIOS and three different software utilities.

Now I am wondering if these temp readings have been accurate, it seems to show that the C2D processor can still be quite stable even at high temps. Which may allow even more room for overclocking. Kind of a weak assumption but interesting none the less. Adding a few more specifications to my signature...

This board still isn't worth buying IMHO. I've had it up and running since Friday night with optimized defaults. No OC. I've had 2 crashes on boot. (windows explorer) Windows was almost completely loaded. MS error reporting online crash analysys stated "bios is not fully compatible with processor." :mad: I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since people are so desperate to use the unreleased bios' (not even beta) versions floating around on the web. Based on performance to date, there is no point in overclocking till the next bios is released.

Conroe E6600

DFI 975 X/G

2 GB OCZ Gold DDR 667

2X Seagate 250GB 7200rpm HDs Raid 0

Sapphire X1900GT

7/31 Bios

XP SP2 Updated.

I should have gone Asus. Why is DFI so late to the party? Surely they can afford to buy chips for testing if Intel won't supply test samples. :rolleyes:

Considering this Infinity board was the same price as my Expert, it should have equivalent features and perform as well. :sad:

I'm running the latest bios. It shipped with the one dated 7/31. Thiis was the error message I received from MS.

bioserrorem3.png

The only reason I was running optimized defaults was to verify system stability and hardware comaptibility before OCing. MS was wrong in this case. I traced the problem to a bad stick of RAM causing the I/O errors.

• 2 weeks later...
I should have gone Asus.

Thought that when I got my 1st 64 bit AMD chip. Had nothing but memory issues preformace was not that much more than my old 32 bit intel it replaced. Now I can not say that about my current AMD system.

btw I still have the Asus A8N SLI Delx with the 3500+ still in it.

and I had issues with my 975X/G caused by OCZ ram.

...well I definitely spoke to soon! Since RMAing the faulty ram, I've been running 24/7 with F&H and what I consider a mild OC compared to the overhead on the E6600.

I'm currently running stable at 3105 mhz. I'm in the happy camper catagory now! :) I'll push higher when time permits.