Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

DFI Infinity 975X/G

I have this board running in tandem with an e6400, and 2x1GB OCZ 6400 Plat. XTC (4-5-4-15, Elpida, 2.1V). I think the board is burning itself out, unfortunately. :(

The first week I had it, it could do a 425MHz FSB with stock multi, giving me 3.4GHz with stock cooling. 1.5V on the CPU, 1.65V on the northbridge, 1.3V ICHIO.

Now I can't stabilize it at 400FSB, no matter what I try- I've raised voltages, I've flashed BIOS revisions, I've remounted my heatsink, you name it. The RAM and CPU are still fine, as tested on my Abit AB9. BIOS is the November official release (11/15?), CPU is a week 25. I've had the northbridge actively cooled from the beginning by an old 60mm fan or so. I haven't even tried Windows, because MemTest spits out these errors.

I have this board running in tandem with an e6400, and 2x1GB OCZ 6400 Plat. XTC (4-5-4-15, Elpida, 2.1V). I think the board is burning itself out, unfortunately. :(

The first week I had it, it could do a 425MHz FSB with stock multi, giving me 3.4GHz with stock cooling. 1.5V on the CPU, 1.65V on the northbridge, 1.3V ICHIO.

Now I can't stabilize it at 400FSB, no matter what I try- I've raised voltages, I've flashed BIOS revisions, I've remounted my heatsink, you name it. The RAM and CPU are still fine, as tested on my Abit AB9. BIOS is the November official release (11/15?), CPU is a week 25. I've had the northbridge actively cooled from the beginning by an old 60mm fan or so. I haven't even tried Windows, because MemTest spits out these errors.

nobody really has had much success getting to 400 fsb, at least not prime stable at that high of a fsb

nobody really has had much success getting to 400 fsb, at least not prime stable at that high of a fsb
The first week I had it, it could do a 425MHz FSB with stock multi, giving me 3.4GHz with stock cooling.

It was running fine, but seems like it dropped 30MHz overnight- the highest I can get now is 387 or so- 395 crashes.

.. MemTest spits out these errors.

This might indicate a problem with your RAM??

It test's OK on the other board in Memtest @ same settings?

Hmm - you say you've changed BIOS a few times, & you are running the latest official one? I couldn't achieve the same o/c on that BIOS than i can with the BETA in sig.

I realize what you are saying, though - you could get xfsb, now you cant... :(

Of course it is not mentioned what method was used to flash a "bunch" of bioses...most likely forward and back in date...however depending on how far date forward you flash and it is 'not' expected that one will flash backwards...the flash backwards can be dorked if not done from dos...ergo it seems less clockable...

RGone...:confused:

All flashes were done with AWDflash through DOS- I never use Windows flash utilities.

Oh, and I only flashed between the three newest ones- October and onwards.

As I said, though- the drop from 425 to 387 was done without changing BIOS versions. All flashing was done after everything started going to hell in a handbasket.

HG,

I noticed in this build you used the Aero on the vid card. Are you happy with it?

I'm using an aero on my 7900gtx and am NOT happy with the temps.

When I'm heavy in BF2 I sometimes see temps of 80c, with a 48c no load temp.

What are your thoughts? Did I install it wrong? I'm O/C'd right now at what is in my sig below.

I'll start a new thread if you think that's better.

Dylan

Faheyd,

I'm not HG, but I've used the Accelero on a 7800GTX and also the AcceleroII on a X1900XT. When I bought each of those they were almost twice the price they are now. I thought they were adequate, but nothing outstanding. At one point I actually removed the fan blower cage and installed a two fan pci slot cooler below the remaining cooling fin/heatpipe assembly. That was a little bit of an improvement.

When I built this last INF 975X/G rig I chose the Zalman VF900 VGA cooler for my XT, and honestly couldn't be happier. It is quiet, effective and efficient.

Faheyd,

I'm not HG, but I've used the Accelero on a 7800GTX and also the AcceleroII on a X1900XT. When I bought each of those they were almost twice the price they are now. I thought they were adequate, but nothing outstanding. At one point I actually removed the fan blower cage and installed a two fan pci slot cooler below the remaining cooling fin/heatpipe assembly. That was a little bit of an improvement.

When I built this last INF 975X/G rig I chose the Zalman VF900 VGA cooler for my XT, and honestly couldn't be happier. It is quiet, effective and efficient.

Wevspot,

This is faheyd/Zebra-Rake from gamers. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I bought my aero on sale. It doesn't seem to do anything, in fact, the gpu seems to run hotter and I've had to turn down the OC a little. Maybe I'll take it apart again and re-install it. Who knows, I might have not tightened down the screws enough (it was hard to tell 'how' tight to make them.

See ya on the BF2 side, Game On!

Hey Zebra - I should have made the connection . . . . :)

I guess if I were to try and put it all in a nutshell I'd give kudos to the Accelero series for being nominal coolers that are exceptionally quiet when compared to many stock coolers. There isn't much beyond that though. I kept the one I yanked from my XT and will keep it in case I find a need. But right now I'm a converted Zalman user. I really am pleased with the performance of the VF900.