Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

DFI Infinity 975X/G

well the current striker bios allows a little more fsb, but the strap is loose over 1699fsb.. So basically most people will run water and air, sub 1699fsb you get a little more flexibility with the ram (it's not completley independant ram overclocking btw, just a plethora of divider combo's).. But current pricing on the 980i does not really put it at an advantage over the Infinity and the performance of the 975 is better in many cases too, we already know the DFI version of the 980i will be with us next year, no details yet here as it's not out (and let's stay away from the speculation mess), but you can expect a better version than any other I'm sure (the Infinity is testament to that, low price best performance)!

So far with the striker extreme (which needs a little bios tweaking), the Infinity got within 100mhz of this (not bad eh?), and was fast too. With the 980i it's hard to claw back ram performance too. And both Nvidia and Asus have acknowledged ram speed over 1000 and high fsb with the chipset is difficult. The new rev Infinity should get close to ddr1000 at all fsbs's based on what my old board would do..

orthosstrikerrb4.th.jpg

Work in progress on the Striker which will tide me over until our friends here get the new boards out...

Infinity managed 455fsb abslolute stable at 1.85vnb, so there's not much in it at all..

regards

Raja

if i want to install windows on a blank raid 0 sytem on this board , how do i install the drivers from the floppy if i dont have a floppy disc drive, (dont plan to buy one).

If i try to slipstream the drivers into a windows cd, what drivers should i get? its not nf4 drivers right?

Can someone please point me to the appropriate (and necessary) chipset driver pack for this motherboard? I'm loathe to use drivers included with the m/b installation CD as they are often outdated.

Chipset - USB - LAN etc.

Thanks.

well the current striker bios allows a little more fsb, but the strap is loose over 1699fsb.. So basically most people will run water and air, sub 1699fsb you get a little more flexibility with the ram (it's not completley independant ram overclocking btw, just a plethora of divider combo's).. But current pricing on the 980i does not really put it at an advantage over the Infinity and the performance of the 975 is better in many cases too, we already know the DFI version of the 980i will be with us next year, no details yet here as it's not out (and let's stay away from the speculation mess), but you can expect a better version than any other I'm sure (the Infinity is testament to that, low price best performance)!

So far with the striker extreme (which needs a little bios tweaking), the Infinity got within 100mhz of this (not bad eh?), and was fast too. With the 980i it's hard to claw back ram performance too. And both Nvidia and Asus have acknowledged ram speed over 1000 and high fsb with the chipset is difficult. The new rev Infinity should get close to ddr1000 at all fsbs's based on what my old board would do..

orthosstrikerrb4.th.jpg

Work in progress on the Striker which will tide me over until our friends here get the new boards out...

Infinity managed 455fsb abslolute stable at 1.85vnb, so there's not much in it at all..

regards

Raja

Raja I read your posts with great interest since it's obvious you know your stuff but it doesn't really help those of us who can't or won't hard mod the board to get 1.85v on the NB. Any chance of some stats either from before you did the mod or on another 975G/X you might have that's stock?

Honestly I wish I had the skills to do what you did. ;):)

Try the DFI website? works for me :)

:) The DFI website is slow as molasses here at my location. I just went to the Intel website and downloaded all of the latest drivers. The ones released in November also support Vista, so I'm good to go right now and at least for a bit into the future.

Hardware arrived last night and have everything on the bench and fired up. Pretty painless actually. Board booted right up and got me into BIOS without even having to tweak memory timings first (man, what a change from the NF4 boards - in a good way). Have made all of the preliminary BIOS, memory, voltage adjustments and ran Memtest overnight. One weird thing though, couldn't get Memtest86+ to run from TMOD's BIOS CD, but was able to run it from an OCZ Memtest floppy - weird - but at any rate eight hours of Memtest stable.

Will complete remainder of installation tonight. I couldn't find a jumper anywhere on the board to disable that annoying m/b speaker though, and no option in BIOS. Was I sleepy and overlook something?

Already impressed with the painless boot. The only drawback I've seen with the board so far is placement of the ATX and AUX 8 pin power plugs, but I knew that going in.

Cheers.

:) The DFI website is slow as molasses here at my location. I just went to the Intel website and downloaded all of the latest drivers. The ones released in November also support Vista, so I'm good to go right now and at least for a bit into the future.

Hardware arrived last night and have everything on the bench and fired up. Pretty painless actually. Board booted right up and got me into BIOS without even having to tweak memory timings first (man, what a change from the NF4 boards - in a good way). Have made all of the preliminary BIOS, memory, voltage adjustments and ran Memtest overnight. One weird thing though, couldn't get Memtest86+ to run from TMOD's BIOS CD, but was able to run it from an OCZ Memtest floppy - weird - but at any rate eight hours of Memtest stable.

Will complete remainder of installation tonight. I couldn't find a jumper anywhere on the board to disable that annoying m/b speaker though, and no option in BIOS. Was I sleepy and overlook something?

Already impressed with the painless boot. The only drawback I've seen with the board so far is placement of the ATX and AUX 8 pin power plugs, but I knew that going in.

Cheers.

What BIOS version do you have? I have never read here in these forums about an updated chipset driver ... at least from Intel. I just thought that the BIOS's upgrades took care of the chipset ... I could be very wrong, but then again, I am still learning what this board can do ... :P

I'm still learning this board as I go. I took my DFI m/b installation cd, wrote down all of the driver files on it and then went searching. Intel has drivers they released in November (and they are Vista ready - so they say). I downloaded the majority of my drivers right there. The remainder I got from DFI's Taiwan sight. LAN driver came directly from Realtek.

My rig is up and running right now. Haven't had a chance to do any benchmarking, just getting all of the Windows critical updates. But so far, so good. This board was a breeze.

Any need to apply the Microsoft dual core hotfix on the Intel based boards running dual core Conroes? I haven't, and haven't noticed any ill effects so far.

Just curious what anyone elses thoughts or experiences are with this?