Lightning strike

I know how good you feel when you find out that the storm has only blown up your surge protector and not your pc, it happened about 3 years ago. I know that there are surge protectors that also have a port for your phone to also act as a surge protector for your tele.

LOL I didn't think you would go around killing network equipment. ;)

Well, only for Doctors, Lawyers and CPAs. That's the axis of evil right there.

They have the most money and they always pay late.

I always add a 10% PMO charge to every invoice. None of them have asked but I'll be happy to tell them that it stands for "Piss Me Off". If they pay their bill on time I remove the charge. So far I haven't had any takers.

I use a APC BackUPS 600 both at home and at work. UPS' are also useful for the momentary lapses in power (the 1~2 second outages) that sometimes occur. Another thing to watch out for is a "brown-out" (as opposed to a "black-out"). Brownouts commonly occur when the power grid is being switched and a surge is produced. You would have seen them around dinner time when the lights give a flicker.

And of course one that has a $50,000 guarantee, or more. Shouldn't need to spend more than 30-50 bucks for a decent name-brand one.

Absolutely right, I highly recommend Belkin surge protectors. I use 2 ten-way ones (each on a dedicated 30amp circuit).

One night a car slammed into a utility pole in front of our house and the powerlines crossed and hit our cable & phone lines. Needless to say all my equipment would have been ruined, but all my AV equipment and Computers were cool. :) The only things that got messd up were; one of the phones, the spare bedroom TV (which weren't on surge protectors) and some of the house's siding melted and got burnt.

Absolutely right, I highly recommend Belkin surge protectors. I use 2 ten-way ones (each on a dedicated 30amp circuit).

One night a car slammed into a utility pole in front of our house and the powerlines crossed and hit our cable & phone lines. Needless to say all my equipment would have been ruined, but all my AV equipment and Computers were cool. :) The only things that got messd up were; one of the phones, the spare bedroom TV (which weren't on surge protectors) and some of the house's siding melted and got burnt.

UPS or surge master series?

Belkin F9a1033-12

* 10 Outlets

* Satellite Cable Tv/modem & Antenna Dual-line Coaxial Protection

* 2-line/4-pin Phone Line Protection With Built-in Splitter

* 4720 Joules

* coaxial Protection Safeguards Connected Components With 2 Pairs Of Gold Coaxial Connectors Designed To Improve Signal

* phone Line Protection Safeguards Single- Or 2-line Phone/dsl/ Modems Against Backdoor Power Disturbances

* Power Filter Technology (pft) Isolates Contamination To Prevent Ac & Emi/rfi To Help Provide Quality Sound & Picture

* Diagnostic Indicators Warn Of Power Problems Before Equipment Is Connected

* 12-ft Heavy-duty Power Cord With Straight Plug Delivers Clean Power Through 14-gauge Wiring

* $300000 Connected Equipment Warranty

* Lifetime Warranty

Pricegrabber