Chipset water cooling

Quinn

I've recently switched from Intel/Asus to AMD/DFI. I have a water cooling setup that I plan to use on the new combo. The waterblock for the cpu is generic and will fit on the opty 165. The chipset waterblock will not. So *IF* I decide to WC the chipset I'll need to buy a new waterblock. However, after reading some posts, I've see a couple of opposing opinions about whether the DFI chipsets need to be WC when OC'ing.

So the question I want to solicit more opinions on is, do DFI mobo chipsets need to be WC when OC'ing? It appears my cpu is likely able to OC well. I'm hoping to reach 2.7GHz. At that frequency, will air be sufficient to allow the chipset to run with stability? For those close to this speed or higher, I'd like to hear what temps are your chipsets running at, and how are they cooled?

The feedback I receive will help me determine if I need purchase another waterblock for my chipset.

Thanks.

Watercooling the chipset isn't necessary. I still run the stock heatsink with the factory paste. As long as your case has decent airflow you won't have any problems. My chipset never gets above 44 celsius.

Check the link below my sig for my clocks and such.

Yup...stock cooling is fine. It's a habit though to just order a new chipset cooler along with the mobo. The evercool really does do a good job as opposed to the stock cooler, worth the 10 bucks IMO :)

Thank you all for your feedback. The ambient noise around my system allows me to tolerate the minor noise of a chipset fan. I think I'll save a few $$$ and go with the EverCool. :)

From what I've gathered a block on the chipset really only makes your loop more restrictive. I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim better proformance because they had 1. I think myself I'll order 1 of those chipset coolers in "Happy's" sig. If I decide I think I'm havin' troubles because of that.