Computer instability problems

For some reason, my computer keeps on getting bsod's in windows and I was wondering if this problem could be related to my ram that im using. I've heard that there have been many issues concerning corsair ram and incompatabilities with DFI mobos. ATM, everything is set to stock, and my suspiscion is due to the fact that even at stock settings, prime fails after a couple of minutes when using doing the ram stress test. Tried switching back to the 711 bios, but that only made things worse. Tried using only one stick, and switching slots, and it made no difference.

Regards

David

Check database here on froum for known good setting for your memory or may check with corsair also.Download and study the OC guide here on forum to help you in setting up memory. The guide will also show you what test to run to check stability.

bungfritz, you can also find some good information in the tweeks sticky here. This should be mandatory reading for anyone on NF3 Ultra-D.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17498

Some of the more common things to watch for are documented in this post. Also as was previously mentioned, learn how to test for stability from the OC guide. If you can't run memtest86 without errors, and prime95 for 8hrs or more, its not stable and you will continue to have problems.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...630&postcount=8

BTW, since you are using Opteron 146 stick I would stick with C19 BIOS.

yea thanks for the replies. Yea, ive already been to the NF#-Ultra tweaks page and i've upped the ldt to 1.75 volts, tried using the orange ram slots (which made it even worse, it wouldnt even boot), upped the vdimm and tried vcore increases. I've also tried the ram timings from angry_games website for my ram but that hasnt done much either. Whats wierd is that im now running the comp at 3 ghz, and while it still fails prime after around 1 hr, it was more stable than the computer at the exact same settings with 200fsb. Whats even more interesting is that with the default cmos settings, the compute wont even boot, whereby i have to take out one ram stick to get into the bios. Think this situation is really bizzare. The settings which i have tried so far are:

Default cmos, everything on auto, computer wouldnt boot. Had to pull one ram stick which allowed me to enter into the bios.

Upped the ldt voltage, the ram voltage and the computer booted however would bsod half way into windows. Changed the ram from the yellow to orange slots (which was recommended for TCCD) and the computer wouldnt boot.

After that i adjusted the ram timings to the list as per the values that angry_games had. Loaded into windows but soon bsod. Upped the ram voltage to 2.9 v @ stock and still not stable.

From there, i upped the cpu voltage to 1.425 (which is pretty riduculous since its running at stock speeds) and it still bsod.

Relaxed the ram timings further, currently running at 3.0 4, 8, 4 2T, and still would bsod. After that i got really frustrated. From there, i decided to take a wild stab and see how well my opteron overclocked even though it wasnt stable at stock speeds. Since i got a good stepping, i went straight to 299 fsb, and after booting into windows, it actually didnt bsod like it did at stock speeds. So i've left the settings as it is but again its still not stable. Any help would be appreciated. Current settings are as follows:

AMD Opteron 146 CABE 0540FMPW running @ 2.99ghz @ 1.425 volts

Corsair ram currently running with 2/3 divider @ 3.0 4,8,4 2T weak drive settings running at 2.9V

FSB 299

LDT voltage: 1.75

HT: 3X

AGP: 67mhz

Think this situation is really bizzare. The settings which i have tried so far are:

Default cmos, everything on auto, computer wouldnt boot. Had to pull one ram stick which allowed me to enter into the bios.

I think you will have a tough time, if you try to run everything on auto. The NF4 Ultra-D is more forgiving in this dept than this NF3 board. Your best bet is to manually code the geni bios settings except for Tref and then start tweeking from there. If you post a screenie or A64 Tweeker I might be able to help.

One thing worth trying is to properly clear CMOS using this procedure.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...lear#post317242

Also try swapping your sticks around in the same bank, doing a CMOS clear, and load optimized after doing so. Then code your geni bios settings.

From there, i upped the cpu voltage to 1.425 (which is pretty riduculous since its running at stock speeds) and it still bsod.

VCORE still looks low as on C19 it is undervolt by 0.1v or more. I am currently running 1.575 in the BIOS, and measure by a multimeter it reads 1.42v. I would try CPU VID Control = 1.525v or 1.55v and see if that helps.

Thats probably enough for now, post back as it would be fun to see what that opty you have can do, but for now you need to get stable :cool:

again thanks for the help everyone. Now i tried testing each individual ram stick and here's the results i got from memtest.

Speed, 3.0, 4, 8, 4 1T

Running at 6 X multiplier, orange ram slots

Ram voltage = 2.8v

Channel #1

Ram # 1, 292 mhz

Ram #2, 295

Channel #2

Ram #1, 282

Ram #2, 283

Running in dual channel

=251 mhz

Changing the Divider to 10X,

Running 166mhz ram divider

CPU= 2.8ghz

Ram= 230

Just a question, so why is it that when the ram runs at dual channel, that there is such a sudden drop in ram overclockability?

my rram settings are as follows in the genie bios

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 166mhz

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 3.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 04 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 08 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 04 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 09 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 16 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. - Auto

DQS Skew Value................................ - 0

DRAM Drive Strength........................... - weak

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... - 50%

Max Async Latency............................. - Auto

DRAM Response Time............................ - Fast

Read Preamble Time............................ - Auto

IdleCycle Limit............................... - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter............................... - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. - 16 x

Bypass Max.................................... - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity........................... - Disable(4 Bursts)

similar to the one angry_games posted for guide to nf4 and corsair ram