Vantec CCB-A1C Iceberq NF4/ATI Chipset Cooler @ $9.99

Angry_Games

Many of you wanted me to check out the VANTEC CCB-A1C ICEBERQ as an alternative to the Evercool VC-RE for our NF4/ATI chipsets.

So, I checked them out at SVC.com

Well, I've had it in a couple of days, and I just got my new Canon A620 so I thought I'd take a couple of pics to get the hang of this new camera...

And I installed the VANTEC CCB-A1C ICEBERQ on the NF4 Expert SLI-DR board. It has an ATI X850XT-PE video card installed. I can also take a picture of it with an X1900XT with either stock cooler or Accelero aftermarket cooler if you want.

anyway, the pics imbedded in the page are reduced by 50% so if you want to see full 1600x1200 (this stupid camera does either 640x480 or 1600x1200 or higher but nothing in between 640x480 and 1600x1200 grrrr), click the link after the picture

iceberq-1b.jpg

1600x1200 full resolution: click here

and here's another of it from a different angle:

iceberq-2b.jpg

1600x1200 full resolution: click here

I'll test the second one I have on the remaining boards, and probably order some more from SVC.com when I can remember ;)

I'm really liking these...but they are a bit tougher to install...but same exact basics as the Evercool VC-RE so if you want an excellent tutorial on how to install this VANTEC CCB-A1C ICEBERQ , just watch the Evercool VC-RE Video Tutorial.

The VANTEC CCB-A1C ICEBERQ is smaller, and just as short as the stock chipset fan...so now you have two choices!

Enjoy! (please remember to use the links provided in this thread if you decide to purchase one for yourself. Ordering through these special links helps DFI-Street, which in turn helps you!)

The VANTEC CCB-A1C ICEBERQ is smaller, and just as short as the stock chipset fan...so now you have two choices!

I have the feeling I may end up replacing the stock chipset fan someday, and I’m not running any fancy video card, but it would take a mechanics feeler gauge to measure the distance from my video card to the top of the chipset fan. How much taller is the Evercool than the stock.

If you want something specific to shoot with your new camera, maybe you could reproduce these two shots of a board with the Evercool on it for those of us who are still running the stock chipset fan, and know we will replace it someday, and we could see both the Vantec and Evercool on a board. :D

Guest LithoTech
I have the feeling I may end up replacing the stock chipset fan someday, and I’m not running any fancy video card, but it would take a mechanics feeler gauge to measure the distance from my video card to the top of the chipset fan. How much taller is the Evercool than the stock.

If you want something specific to shoot with your new camera, maybe you could reproduce these two shots of a board with the Evercool on it for those of us who are still running the stock chipset fan, and know we will replace it someday, and we could see both the Vantec and Evercool on a board. :D

I'm sure I've seen pictures of exactly what you describe, but to be honest I'm not sure they were here. I'll check into it and get back (both here or the discussion link where I am off to next).

Both these replacement coolers are slightly smaller, lower profile, than the stock one, so they will fit as far as height is concerned.

Guest LithoTech

This is a pic of the Iceberq4, a different model than the one suggested here, it will work only with modifications, and is only slightly higher than the stock cooler:

iceberqdfi6sn.jpg

Here is a link to the guide to modifying it:

http://myweb.cableone.net/lreedy/computer/nbcoolermod.html

FWIW, he didn't realise much improvement (check last page for results), not as much as I did with a vc-re, and I didn't get as much as most people did. So I'm calling this Iceberq4 a dud for now, although it still looks interesting since it is a larger heatsink, higer rpm and cfm. I'd prefer to do my own tests on this, but that will have to wait till I see one of these for dirt cheap.

Here's a couple pics of the CCB-A1C compared to the Iceberq4:

Iceberq4

ibq45rz.jpg

Iceberq CCB-A1C

ibq6jc.jpg

Guest LithoTech
Which has better temps Vantec or Evercool?

That is yet to be determined. :)

I recall a comment or two in the other discussion AH links to above, that the Vantec was a couple degrees better, but no data was provided to back the statement up.

The difference between the two is really insignificant, either cooler will dump inbetween 5 and 10 degrees off your load temps, that much is pretty assured. So you can't loose, and availability is what make most people's choice.

Guest LithoTech
SVC.com doesn't ship globally, is it possible someone send me one. I will pay for shipping to Belgium where I live.

Sorry, both coolers are out of stock in my area too, a lot of DFI owners in my town and only one real supplier for these, they gobbled them up lol.

Shipping the VC-RE from SVC to me costs more than double the cooler itself, so nix on that too.

Have a look in your area for one of these Zalman ZM-NB47J, they work quite well:

Clicky for teh Zalman ZM-NB47J

Here it is, heavily modified, LMAO LOL ROFL, but it does work! And you don't have to do this, you can just move your vid card down to the lower slot... unless you are running SLI.

Decent case cooling is enough to keep temps in check, but for serious overclocking you will want to direct a fan onto this sink; many people simple use plastic ties to strap an 80mm fan directly onto it. Regardless, that area of the mobo is invariably hot due to the chipset and vid card, so most people already have some sort of extra active cooling there.

bentzalman6ii.jpg

Here is a link to the post:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...02&postcount=53

And a very good discussion about this cooler and it's use on the chipset of a DFI, with and without fans, with and without bending the crap out of it lol!

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53642

The best thing about it?? It is damn cheap!! Hopefully, it is available in your area.

This is a pic of the Iceberq4, a different model than the one suggested here, it will work only with modifications, and is only slightly higher than the stock cooler:

Here is a link to the guide to modifying it:

http://myweb.cableone.net/lreedy/computer/nbcoolermod.html

FWIW, he didn't realise much improvement (check last page for results), not as much as I did with a vc-re, and I didn't get as much as most people did.

Thanks for the link. That is a bit more work to install the Iceberg than I think I want to deal with. While it may look good in there, I’ll probably stick with the Evercool VC-RE.

I’m sure even if I went with the Iceberg, I’d have to leave off that plastic cover on the top off to fit under my video card, but it looks cooler without that plastic cover anyway. :D I never did see where those 4 BGA Ramsinks were mentioned in his installation. I have to wonder what those are for? And the foam? That part lost me.