Sign in to follow this  
Ambian

Graphics Card Update Advice - Ati/Nvidia

Looking for some advice on a few cards to replace my 6600GT. I am looking to replace it with a good 'bang for buck' card that is going to provide good general gaming and very few hassles. This will no doubt be in my system until a new system is required early next year, so spending too much on the VGA is out of the question...Value/Power is the ratio.

The Candidates:

eVGA 7900GT KO (~AU$520.00)

HIS X1800GTO IceQ (~AU$430 ... Approx. Havent seen it listed, but non IceQ is $380ish)

HIS X1900GT (~AU$450)

**** Insert Your Suggestion *****

So here I am looking at the 7900GTs and thinking...hey I can get one for as low as AU$400, this is great... but i have mates who got them recently from xfx and leadtek and both had to have them replaced. (Leadtek one a couple of times...) I really don't know if I want to go through with all that... I know, I know...'its only a small percentage' but hell...if the only two people i know with 7900GTs had to replace theirs, then the odds are too great in my opinion.

The alternative is the ATI options of which, HIS are one of my favourite partners. The X1900GT is looking pretty good, but then again, so is the X1800GTO which can be purchased for as little as AU$300...damn good price for a good performing midrange card.

The sound of an X1900GT IceQ is also very nice :P (Does anyone know if it just takes time for the IceQ Versions to come to OZ? I havent seen the X1800GTO IceQ yet ... but there are X1600 etc)

Thanks in advance :)

Personally, I still think the X1800XT is a great deal for around ~$240 US, not sure what it'd cost you there. Two of my roommates have them now, and I'm quite impressed with what they can do. Only downside is a rediculously loud fan, but thats Ati for you.

I was thinking of upgrading my vid card too, but people have advised me to wait for the next gen of Nvidia G80's and ATI R600's which will be Directx10 compliant. If you're willing to spend that much on a new grafx card, no sense in it being out of date before the year's up.

Personally, I still think the X1800XT is a great deal ...

Actually in OZ, the Powercolor X1800XT is a similar price to the HIS X1800GTO, where as the HIS X1800XT is a bit more... ~AU$500. I don't know what public opinion is of the PowerColor range, but they certainly seem to be quite a bit cheaper and hence make them an option.

Talking of noise, the IceQ3 would definitely be an advantage.... but then again, by all reports the X1900GTs are significantly quieter than most of the ATI range, and they are a single slot cooler.

... people have advised me to wait for the next gen of Nvidia G80's and ATI R600's which will be Directx10 compliant.

Yeah I hear that alot, but seriously...i got my 6600GT at the end of last year and now it will 'run' new games, but its not exactly up-to-date.... so purchasing another card in 6 months does not bother me at all... in fact, i would be surprised if i didnt have to anyways. Plus I am looking at mid-ranged/mid-priced cards...X1900XTX, or 7950s etc can go well over AU$1000.00 to put it into perspective :) Not like I am looking for the latest and greatest :)

Guest Kobalt

I'd say 7600GT for now, then in 2-3 months, when the new chips ship, get that. That is if $$$ is an issue. :D

I think you should also check out the issues with either Ati or Nvidia drivers. Check out www.rage3d.com for ATI issues... for Nvidia..err.. I forget. :) Someone will chime in with the correct forums. :)

Get the x1900xt. Too many issues with the 7900gt's especially the overclocked ones. if you get the 7900gt, then evga is the company to buy one from, as they have the best customer service.

Doesn't evga have a trade-up program? I think $400-500 is a lot of money, if you aren't planning on keeping it for at least a year. Isn't NinDeals running any good deals? I haven't logged on there in while, but they got some good stuff for you guys in Australia.

Doesn't evga have a trade-up program? I think $400-500 is a lot of money, if you aren't planning on keeping it for at least a year. Isn't NinDeals running any good deals? I haven't logged on there in while, but they got some good stuff for you guys in Australia.

No bulk deals on NinDeals at the moment, there are a few specials for Nindeals members that have sold out, but very limited ATI deals at the moment, but I am always trying to keep an eye out for them :)

As for the Step-Up program, it doesnt apply to Australia last time I heard, and while there Customer Support is good, the cards still have to be shipped internationally if RMA'd so downtime etc is something i need to consider :) It sucks living on an island ;) (j/k) but from what I have heard, they generally try to get the local retailers to provide the replacement and leave shipping a card internationally as a last resort. (They also say they test them more thoroughly before shipping, making for a little more down time).

Yeah I logged onto ninDEALS after I posted that, sucks they had nothing good. Good luck to ya.

Sign in to follow this