WTB: Socket A / 462 CPU socket from a dead DFI Motherboard

Edzard

FOUND WHAT I NEED LOCALLY - NO LONGER LOOKING. THANKS TO ALL WHO TRIED TO HELP.

I'm looking for a Socket A (also known as Socket 462) socket and CPU lever. Preferably from a DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B (PCB Rev. A), since that is what I'm hoping to repair. But I think that perhaps any socket having a metal (not plastic) CPU lever from a DFI Socket A/Socket 462 board may suffice.

I actually just need the top half of the socket and the CPU lever but in order to minimize the effort and disassembly risk on the seller's part, I'll just buy the entire socket and dismantle it myself, at my own risk.

This deal can be done as an outright purchase or a trade. I have 40, 60, 80, 92, and 120MM fan grills. Also have a good variety of 40-120MM fans and heatsinks (mostly used but in good condition, including Papst 92MM and 120MM [measures 118MM] fans) that would be suitable for use in cooling everything from motherboard northbridge and southbridge chips to CPUs to entire cases. I also have new Sony 3.5" floppy drives and BENQ 56X CD-ROM drives. I have additional tweaker's stuff as well (please inquire).

Below is a link to a photo of the bottom part of the socket on my DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B.

http://www.haddock.to/DFI_Ultra_B_socket.jpg

If you have a socket that is already disassembled, when comparing to the above photo, please pay particular attention to the design of the leftmost portion of the socket. I have discovered that not all Socket A / 462 sockets share the same internal design and the part of the socket shown in the leftmost portion of the photo is where the design differences exist. If the bottom half of your socket matches the one in the photo, then we should be "good to go."

Unless someone has a disassembled socket whose bottom half matches that shown in the photo above, I will only consider sockets from DFI boards. I've already tried a socket from a Gigabyte board (it had a brown plastic CPU lever) only to find that it was incompatible (couldn't discover incompatibility until I dismantled it).

If you own a DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B (or another DFI Socket A board) that is dead beyond resurrection, here's your opportunity to sell/trade some "body parts."

Please let me know what specific DFI board the socket would be coming from and shipped price in first PM.

Links to Heatware and eBay feedback (under "pentium90")

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=16365

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ame=STRK:ME:UFS

Why not just buy a new board out of curiousity.

Because what I'm looking for should be cheap and because I need a socket A board to test two processors with. This motherboard is worth saving (I detest waste) and there is a certain challenge involved in saving it.

EDITED: June 27, 2006 to include important information contained in post by cuoficr dated 06-25-2006, 04:08 PM

With regard to the Gigbyte board I tried (see original post), using tin snips I simply cut the socket out, making sure that I did not cut into the socket (left about 1/4 inch of "room" on all sides). Remember - I do not need the entire socket - just the top cover and CPU lever, so there was no need to attempt to de-solder the socket from the board. Cutting out the socket made it easier to remove the top cover from it

EDIT:

It turns out that my approach to removing the socket was "the hard way". A socket can be simply pried off a motherboard by using a simple lever-type tool such as a butter knife (see post by cuoficr dated 06-25-2006).

If your board is not a DFI board, since I don't have a clue as to how many internal variations of Socket 462 there are, I want to be real upfront about the conditions I would attach to purchasing a socket from a non-DFI board. The intent of these conditions is to minimize hassle on the seller's part while insuring that I get a compatible top cover and CPU lever.

Please note that the process described below could irreversibly destroy the motherboard by breaking circuits/traces near the socket so if you have a motherboard that has any prospects for revival, I recommend against doing it - just keep your motherboard.

With that said, here are the conditions:

1. In a PM, quote me the price or suggest a trade first since some effort would be required to determine if your socket is identical to that one on my DFI board. I don't want someone to spend 10-15 minutes prying a socket off a board and disassembling the socket only to find that I'm not willing to pay the price they are asking. FYI, I paid 3 bucks for the dead Gigabyte board (from a local computer recycler).

If we agree to the price/trade, then

2. Seller must be pry the socket off their board as described above.

3. Seller must be willing to carefully remove the top/cover of their socket and then compare the base/bottom part of their socket with the one shown in the linked photograph in my original post. The two socket bases must match exactly and there is no guarantee that they will - seller assumes that risk. When I disassembled the socket from the Gigabyte board I used small screwdrivers to pry the cover/top off and broke off a few small pieces in the process. But the cover was still usable (had it been compatible in internal design).

Please note that motherboards can be sold for scrap precious metal content.

lol, all u need is a butter knife to remove the socket from the board, just a little pressure under the socket and it leaves the pins on the board (did all of the ones on the ECS i pulled this one from). but mine is slightly different (i have the entire socket in fromt of me) if you feel comfortable removing the lower socket from your DFI i can send the entire socket to you. it's white with a metal lever. lmk or pm me your address, it will fit in a standard envelope and you dont have anything i want, so its free unless u wanna paypal me 55c

lol, all u need is a butter knife to remove the socket from the board, just a little pressure under the socket and it leaves the pins on the board (did all of the ones on the ECS i pulled this one from). but mine is slightly different (i have the entire socket in fromt of me) if you feel comfortable removing the lower socket from your DFI i can send the entire socket to you. it's white with a metal lever. lmk or pm me your address, it will fit in a standard envelope and you dont have anything i want, so its free unless u wanna paypal me 55c

Thanks very much on telling me the easy way to remove a socket from a board. While your offer to mail me the socket is very generous, I'd rather that you not do that because I don't want to risk breaking any motherboard curcuits/traces near the socket in the process of removing the socket currently on my board.

I sincerely appreciate your having taken the time to try to help me out. If you can think of some inexpensive component you've been wanting for your PC, please let me know since by no means did I list all the stuff I could could trade. In your case I'm willing to make an outright gift since (1) the info you provided will greatly aid my quest (people with dead boards will be much more willing to pry off a socket than they would be to cut up a motherboard) and (2) your offer to help was altruistic and deserves rewarding.

Thanks yet again.

Now to do a little editing.....