Raid-0 and windows install

You need to add the NF4 RAID driver during Windows Setup... you need that on a floppy or slipstreamed onto a copy of your WinXP CD to succeed at installing XP on the RAID volume.

I have it on a floppy... i just cant get to windows setup. It never goes to the blue screen when i set up the raid array. after i set up the array and exit the f10 menu, it says boot from cd... and it just keeps flashing. It never boots from the xp disc like its supposed to

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you running your two array drives on a single ide ribbon or two seperate ide ribbons? If you're running on two seperate ide ribbons, then I'm assuming that your CD ROM is set as a slave device on one of the two hard drive cables? And if that is the case are you sure the jumper on the optical drive is set to slave and not Master or CS?

Are you running your two array drives on a single ide ribbon or two seperate ide ribbons? If you're running on two seperate ide ribbons, then I'm assuming that your CD ROM is set as a slave device on one of the two hard drive cables? And if that is the case are you sure the jumper on the optical drive is set to slave and not Master or CS?

they are on one ribbon, and both cd drives are on another. I set jumpers when i put em in, but maybe i'll double check em

for now remove one of those optical drives and start your windows install with only a single master optical drive.

also, double check your jumper settings on the ide drives and make sure that the one at the termination end of the cable is set to master and the second one connected via the middle plug is set to secondary.

for now remove one of those optical drives and start your windows install with only a single master optical drive.

also, double check your jumper settings on the ide drives and make sure that the one at the termination end of the cable is set to master and the second one connected via the middle plug is set to secondary.

Jumpers/cables are set up correctly.

Error message when setting up windows:

Setup was unable to format the partition. the disc may be damaged. Be sure the drive is switched on and properly connected. If it is a SCSI disc, be sure your scsi devices are properly terminated. Consult manual... blah blah

Use Maxtor's disk utility application to format your drives one at a time and prepare them for a Windows XP installation. Are these both brand new drives?

You can find all of the utilities you need right here;

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/m...amondMax+Family

One is brand new, and the other is a few months old, but hasnt been used yet... so yes both are new

Use Maxtor's disk utility application to format your drives one at a time and prepare them for a Windows XP installation. Are these both brand new drives?

You can find all of the utilities you need right here;

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/m...amondMax+Family

Used the maxblast 4... still didnt work on one if the drives. Didnt try the 2nd one yet

I had a similar problem when trying to install XP over a s-ata raid0 config , turns out my mobo didn't like the DVD drive i was using & changing over to a normal CD drive fixed it ....just a suggestion :)

I've been playing with SATA raid.

I got the same error as you "Setup was unable to format the partition. the disc may be damaged.". This error occured after setting up the boot partition and before Windows starts copying files. I only got this error when I had 2 SATA drives disabled for raid and 2 of them enabled for raid.

After making all of the drives enabled for raid, the error went away. Its a weird error.

I notice you are setting up RAID for your IDE drives, but your DVD drive is also an IDE drive?

Make sure you aren't including the DVD drive as enabled for raid by accident.

At this stage you are gonna have to get rid of the 420W generic power supply and get you one off of the Recommended PSU List that is linked in my sig.

After you get your new power supply installed, you need put your two IDE raid drives on controller #1 and then enable Primary Master Raid and Primary Secondary Raid, then disable the other two.

If at that point you're still not getting any love you're gonna have to determine which one of your hard drives is bad.