Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

*sigh* so here's why I pay more to ship FedEx

Guest nibs

I have problems with UPS, Fedex, and DHL. DHL & UPS are generally worse then Fedex. I had an issue with DHL and will never have anything shipped by them to me again. The box was so damaged pieces had fallen out somewhere from Utah to me (in Florida), and many long hard steel poles were dented and bent.

My general problem with UPS is that they never ring the doorbell and always seem to leave the package outside, even if its raining or if there is fruit in the package and its hot. Having something shipped UPS to me is pretty much an instant refund/ or having the item reshipped. If the package isn't damaged it doesn't arrive on time. About a year ago my hard drive went on a tour of Jacksonville for a day because they put it on a truck for delivery. It then took them the whole next day to get it to Gainesville (2 hour drive). Finally on the third day after I was supposed to receive it I attempted to pick it up from the distribution center. I was lucky in being there early in the morning because they had loaded it on a truck. I had spoken to two customer service reps and the manager at the Gainesville branch and they told me it would be ready for pickup. According to their system it wasn't supposed to be on the truck. The truck driver hadn't left yet, and after about thirty min of them trying to find the package they brought it out to me. My father often ships important documents to me overnight. He usually buys the UPS by noon option. It has not once arrived by noon. Earliest was 12:15pm and the latest was around 2pm.

Fedex is smart and tends to deliver packages to my apartment office, or they attempt to redeliver them the next day. My biggest issue with fedex is that it seems slow for the price I have to pay for then generally low weight items I ship.

My default shipping option choice is USPS priority mail. I have had one problem with the post office, but it wasn't priority mail. The post office managed to misplace a certified letter from my old apartment complex with my security deposit about a year ago. Their customer service was excellent and I was transferred to my local Post Office’s manager almost immediately. He addressed my concerns, said to give them 36 hours to find it and if they couldn’t find it he would personally write a letter to the apartment complex. When they couldn't find it within 36 hours he wrote the letter as promised and the problem was taken care of. About three months later, the original letter turned up in my mailbox without explanation.

When fex ex could not find my house they called and found it even looking on mapquest(they had it pinned to the package when I picked it up). I did end up picking it up but really that one time wasnt a problem because they marked where my house was down and I did not have a problem after that. UPS - I will never willingly use them again. At this location most of my packeges are late at least one day and commonly more than that fed execonomy is nearly always 1 day quicker and they get delivcerd the first time instead of running to the door without knocking and pasting a delevery attempt message.

UPS again faild to delever today no reason yet just a out for delevery message. Around midnight they will probibily report that the person was not avalable for delevery.

I have frends that work for UPS they only use FedEx. I was using UPS only if the company was small to help them out but I have given up today it just is not worth the trouble.

Since hurricane Katrina UPS has gotten worse than ever. Shipments that previously arrived between noon and 2:00 now get to my door no earlier than 8PM and as late as 10PM.

They left a shipment of Omaha Steaks at the front door at 9:55PM. When it hadn't arrived by 9PM I went to meet some friends for drinks. When I got home there it was sitting at the front door.

All attempts to get them to deliver at a decent hour have failed. My favorite excuse is that "the driver must service business customers before they close at 5PM." My next question was "do they pay more for "before 5PM' service?" and the CSR had the balls to tell me "yes they do".

The area manger called me the next day and gave me the sob story that they're short on drivers but promised to get my shipments delivered earlier.

The next three deliveries have arrived at 9:10, 9:15 and 9:20.

On the other hand, FedEx is practically perfect. I have three different FedEx drivers. One for Overnight Early, one for before 4PM and a third for Ground/Express.

If my car isn't in the driveway, the drivers will place any packages over my fence inside a plastic bag. Tuesday, the Ground/Express driver caught me in town and got me to sign for a package at City Hall. The truth was that he had a date that night and wanted to get his rounds done early. LOL

I dunno... I've had the best luck with UPS here in Vegas. They always deliver early but fedex was three days late. Nothing damaged from either though.

I used to have problems with UPS being late, especially from Newegg (not necc. their fault i know) and after something, a Rosewill PSU for my sckt A rig i think, showed up after 7 Buisness days with UPS 3 day shipping i went on a big rampageing phone binge, started with UPS, after 2 hours on the phone with them I fannaly got it narrowed down to "#day delivery means transit time between our locations and doesnt necc. mean it gets delivered to u in 3 days" which aggitated me even more (not bragging or anything but if u work in cust. service im the last person u want to have to talk to) so i asked them for FedEx's phone # so i knew who to call next time i needed something. (the woman hung up on me btw)

So next I called the Egg, now presumably I'm not the only 1, but the time frame that they altered their policy was within a week of my call so i like to think i helped at least some, and again commenced to discuss my lack of satisfaction with UPS with them. the Egg was alot more understanding and courteous etc etc, and i ended up talking to some manager (Kevin maybe?) so iasked him about UPS, he said that wasnt under NE's control. so im like yah w/e i buy expensive PC parts why ship it with a sub par company (i have never yet had anything damaged from either company, and the couriers for both know me by name)

anyway a week after my chat (and probably thousands of others concerning UPS) its now gaurenteed 3 day delivery. all in all shipping bites the big one, i always look local b4 buying online nowadays

Well i shipped a package USPS to Canada with carrier pick up at my door. I had all 4 forms in the clear plastic envelope ypu stick on the package 1st one is the postage and the other 3 are customs forms. Well the next day they deliver it to me with a note on it saying you need 1,2,3, and the mail carrier told me he had no idea what they were talking about. I'm pissed!And as some of you know I recently had spinal fusion surgery this is why I have them come to my door,anyways I drag my butt down to the Post Office wait in line, show the guy the 1 form still in the envelope incidently it is stamped by them, then show him the 4 bottom halves of the forms I stil had from cutting them off,and tell him they lost they $21.60 in postage, he states he dosn't see how, I tell him my point exactly . if you have ever used these envelope you know once you force the paper work in them and seal them it aint fallen out! Eventually he has me fill out 4 forms, takes them in the back comes out 15min. later and tells me I need to come back tomorrow cause" Freds" not there and he's the only one that can issue a refund and resend my package.Needless to say I have had to pay to have it shipped again and wait for a claim to be file and processed. I will ship anywhere and have never had this problem, if you ask me Martha or Darell & Darell took the forms out to stamp Kept 3 and put the 1 they stamped back in. $43.20 shipping on a $100.00 dollar deal OUCH.Oh who is me.

I guess the frequency that you ship stuff has a bearing on your level of satisfaction.

At the office I ship five or six packages while I receive a minimum of 30 a week.

At the house I receive at least 4 packages a week.

I doubt there's more than a handful of forum members that have as much package traffic as I do so getting into a rhythm with my carrier is very important to my state of mind. LOL

Guest nibs

The only time I've ever had a slight problem sending a shipment with USPS was when I sold a shotgun online. The USPS regulations are clear enough to understand, but it seems the average post office employee isn't actually familiar with them. Initially I went to my local post office and asked about how to ship it while I was there dropping off something else (I went without the gun since I was slightly uneasy about carrying a gun into a post office). They had no idea. So I went on their website, figured out everything, and went down there the next day as I had another package to ship. I was concerned about bringing the gun in because the regulations require postal employees to inspect the weapon to make sure it is unloaded and such. The closest post office to me at that time was very small and I didn't want to have to take out a shotgun in the lobby and say "Look right here, its unloaded". They said that while normally customers weren't allowed in the back they'd make an exception for me so that people wouldn't be alarmed in the lobby.

The next day my car breaks down, but I have to ship the gun out. I walk two blocks to the post office with the gun (unloaded, gun lock on, in its case, and wrapped in brown paper, so I kinda looked like I had an odd shaped guitar). I gave them all of my paper work (wasn't too bad considering). We went into the back, I proved the gun was unloaded... and it got shipped out.

It took a few trips, but overall I was happy with my local post office.

The worst experience i have had shipping with ups involved a video card and them losing it in the portland hub for over two weeks. I recieved the replacement card before they even found the first card.I do not use ups anymore if at all possible, being a former employee i know how packages are treated by them. When i worked there we had a sup. who would sit outside the trailer and time us to make sure we were moving enough packages. 9 years ago that was 34 packages a minute in unload and 18 in load. I have seen gateway pcs have peoples feet all the way through them just from people trying to keep up that pace. most of the hubs use ancient roller systems that are known to crush packages to just about nothing.