Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blooz1_merged

120MM Fan Comparison

Guest Blooz1

Like 'em or hate 'em, we all need 'em!

Fans, that is! here's a nicely done side-by-side comparison of 17 different 120MM fans, done by Madshrimps;

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticl...708&articID=421

Lots of good detail here in one place, including what type of mounting flange each fan has! (Many people run into the "tunnel" or "rib" variety and have problems..) Weights are also given - something usually not considered, but neccessary if the fan is to be used on a CPU cooler! (I ran into this myself a while back - I bought a Thermalright SI-97 for my 462 rig, along with a dandy looking aluminum frame fan that turned out to be too heavy to use!)

It's interesting to note that used a DFI nF3 Lanparty as a test bed for the review! The fans in this review are geared more towards quiet than raw CFM. (Sorry, no "Tornadoes" reviewed!) There's also small mp3 sound files of each one!

On the other hand, the dB's given are "real world", not the highly misleading "official specifiications" given by most manufacturers!

It's good to see through reviews of some brands which may not be as familiar as, say, Antec, Thermaltake, or Panaflo. So, I hope it helps somebody !

HAHA well I got one to add, my Delta 190 CFM fan makes noise like this:

askjfhKJ:KLFJD*U*(@$#J*(_&P!J##L:$*()!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but keeps my CPU temp from 31 - 40 Cel. in the 98 degree San Jose, CA weather. Man I wish I had water cooling :(

BTW it looks like the GlobalWin Fans are the best bang for the buck. Even though they barely make any noise, they push out enough CFM to keep your CPU at a good temp. I've never even heard of them. Great research Blooz1 Thanks for looking to that site :)

Guest Blooz1

unexpected - Yeah I know what yer talkin' about, I lived in the San Jose/Los Gatos area for 7 years, remember very well how that can be!

THunDA - I thought this was a very good review too, that's why I thought I'd throw a link here.

silverstones are nice i have 1...if i was going to buy another fan thats what i would get, and mine came with a nice controller pot with a polished aluminum knob. i havent seen a 120 that didnt sound like a hair dryer at full speed but if u have enough fans then u can run them at lowspeed ryt...and max cfm doesnt mean much to me with a 120 either. that leaves my buying point on how quiet and vibration-free they are at lowspeed...silverstones are nice....

I use 4x akasa amber silent fans - 1 exhaust, 2 intake and 1 on my SI-120. The whole setup moves alot of air and is very very quiet - just working producing a modded chipset cooler from an arctic cooling freezer 4 to replace my rattley fan! should be silent!

Matt