Ok.. What to do now with my PC.

I just got it all finished, up and running.

I haven't tweaked the BIOS at all yet, I just loaded optimized settings and got windows installed and all my partitions completed.

One thing I'm worried about is sometimes I'll turn the PC on and my CPU fan will spin, then stop... and then start back again. any ideas whats causing this?

And, how should I start tweaking my system to get it running good? any guide to set up bios to a "pre-tweaking" situation? what should i turn off, and turn on, etc tc.

i'm about to sleep, since its 8:20 AM here and I haven't slept none yet. i'm going to let memtest run the whole time while i sleep to see how it goes.. but i ran it on each stick once, and then both together in dual channel and it worked.

Also, what programs should i download for my pc to check stability, etc etc.

thanks for any help!

One thing I'm worried about is sometimes I'll turn the PC on and my CPU fan will spin, then stop... and then start back again. any ideas whats causing this?

The three temperature controlled fans plugged into the mobo spin up to 100% at boot before the bios temperature settings kick in. Since the CPU temp is below the 25°C default turn-off setting in bios, it will stop until the CPU reaches that temperature.

It's working as intended. :)

stability? follow the OC guide/first build...

but in short?

memtest from the bios for memory

prime95 is best for cpu + Mem

i find ati tools great for chking gpu's max temp (yes, nvidia too)

3dmark03,05,06 for all around stability.

Ok, I just remember I forgot to add my BIOS... but, I have a problem.

My monitor is offset, or the screen is just to big for it (Its my mom's 15" LCD, not my normal 17") and I cant get the full BIOS, but I got this much:

?? / 14 / 2005

I can't see the first two numbers at all, any idea how to fix that?

Also... abouth the pre-tweak... I really wanna start tweaking this, and just get it stable and leave it at that. so any ideas on whos guide to use, for that ram?

thanks, sorry for all the newb questions.

EDIT: yfital; could you link me to the OC Guide / First Build guide? I'm half asleep and don't think I have the brain power to search for them and find them.

Also, will it work with my ram? i hear the problems between corsair and dfi limit overclocking.

My monitor is offset, or the screen is just to big for it (Its my mom's 15" LCD, not my normal 17") and I cant get the full BIOS, but I got this much:

?? / 14 / 2005

I can't see the first two numbers at all, any idea how to fix that?

The only way to "fix" this is to hold a key on the keyboard down during boot so the BIOS will detect an error. This will stop the BIOS on the first screen and allow you to adjust the monitor so you can see the whole screen.

When your CPU, Fan #2 and Chipset fan’s are plugged into the motherboard the BIOS controls them.

To stop the slow fan starting or even fan throttling you need to change settings in the BIOS.

Go into the BIOS, under PC Health Status and set the:

“CPUfan Fully On…” > 26ºC - & - “NB Fan Fully On…” > 40ºC

Basically this will set the fans to full speed (RPM) but will stop the fan throttling. I notice that when I do this my whole system will run cooler. I prefer the fan spinning faster than the throttling. If the throttling or noise is to loud adjust the temp up a bit.

I want to point out a lot of people will run fan’s through a fan controllers instead of plugging them into the motherboard. Fan’s plugged into the motherboard draw power. Removing said power drain may eliminate issues. Do not get me wrong the motherboard can handle it but when you get into serious over clocking you want to remove any chance of power problems.

You will eventually and probably will be replacing the chipset fan. Most people running DFI motherboards do so.

A good replacement one is the Evercool VC-RE. It’s quieter and a lot of people get a 5ºC - 10ºC drop in temp. Use AS5 when installing the new one

If you decide to order one do DFI-Street a favor and use the link in Happy_Games signature for the VC-RE chipset cooler. DFI-Street gets a credit and that helps fund the Street. Heck I’m even ordering a couple spares.

Start testing

Enabling memtest in the BIOS and run test #5 and #8 for 20 passes or 4hr. The run all 8 test overnight. This will test the memory only.

Then run Prime95 overnight a minimum of 8hr to 24hr. Set it up like this; Setting up CPU for Dual Prime95 stability testing.

Then do a Stock Speed Database (SSDB) post. Follow the rules of that thread.

You want to over clock?

I would first read this The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide. Then re-read it, and you will be surprised how much more info you’ll pick up.

It may seem overwhelming at first but it’s not that bad. Take your time, be patient and asking questions. Keep reading the posts and have fun.

Hope this help and wasn’t to confusing.

º¿º

Ok, I have some questions about Airflow for my PC now.

I have two 80mm fans and one 120mm fan.

my case is an Antec Solution. The 120mm fan can only go in the back, and one 80mm can go in the side door, and one 80mm in the bottom front.

Which way should I make the fans go? Which ones should suck, and which ones should blow?

Also, my 80mm fans seem to be pushing null. air, anyway to up their rpms?

thanks.

hmm, the oridinary way of facing them is

front -> suck to the back

back -> push out

side -> push into the mobo

as for rpm, if your not connecting them to a fan controller, they should be running at 100% ... so no

hmm, the oridinary way of facing them is

front -> suck to the back

back -> push out

side -> push into the mobo

as for rpm, if your not connecting them to a fan controller, they should be running at 100% ... so no

I have them plugged int "FAN 4" and FAN 5" on my motherboard... and they aren't showing up in BIOS, though.