Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

The Nvidia 7900 series overclocking thread

Also.. am i just really lucky with my card or am i going blind cause ive not seen any artifacts yet at all and everything seems to be fine? Would be about time though i have horrible luck with everything else lol

I don't know if you are really lucky or not, but with my 7900GT and the 1.5 Volt mod I have squeezed out 705/1900 with a VF700AlCu cooler from my old 6600GT. The temps were getting pretty high(~76 celcius) so I bought a Vf900 and it should arrive on Friday. Once I get that installed I hope I can squeeze a little more out of it with the 1.55 mod.:drool: I'm amazed at how high I got the card so far, with no artifacts in BF2, F.E.A.R., and Oblivion. These are amazing cards.

Well when i get back home tonight im gonna get powerstrip and try get some more from that. Ive not seen any artifacts and ive been pretty much playing games non stop since ive clocked it at 725/1850.

I cant remember what the temps were, ill double check those before i do anything but its been REALLY hot inside the house lately due to the UK heatwave.

Anyway, when i get home and ive checked it out ill give it a shot and post back with how its doing.

What would you recommend for checking stability while im doing it?

Well, the VF900 came and I gave the card another .05 volts (1.55 now) and was able to push the core up to 725Mhz with a load temp of ~65. That's 10 degrees less than with the VF700ALCU and at a higher clock. The RAM voltage is still stock, I don't know if I want to mess with it yet, but it would be nice to have the RAM running at 2Ghz.:drool:

I don't like being a party pooper but you should listen!

Doing the simple volt mod will run the card in 2d and 3d applications continuosly at the increased voltage.

Evga are supplying Rma returns with new revision card that runs 2 different voltages. 1.2v for 2d operations and 1.4 for 3d operations, apparently the older boards where supplying the 2d and 3d circuitry with the same voltages 1.4v, the revised board has reduced the volt supply to the 2d circuitry down to 1.2volts as this is where the board will operate most of the time. This revision points at the possibilty that the the card could not cope with the higher unecessary voltage during sustained periods of 2d operation which is possibly the reason why so many boards where dying. This points to a possible voltage issue in 2d applications with earlier launch cards at a higher 2d voltage.

To make this post simple, this simple mod could easliy kill your card, because some folks are having to return/RMA there 7900Gt's and they ain't even been overclocked.

You've been warned :(

i removed my volt mod of 1.5

now on stock volts 1.2 i have 710/870

EVGA 7900GT 512 mb 512-P2-N568-AR

they dont have it on new egg anymore??

and evga does not have it in there line up??

where did it go

i got the infineon ram it is good!

i have not tried to over volt it but i know my infineon ocz 4000 ram does best on lower volts so i dont think overvolting it will do anything

but my ram is at 870

I just got cool bits and OC'd my XFX 7900GT, I hit "Detect Optimal Frequencies" and it set them to 561/806. I got 9558 3DMarks with my 3800 X2 at 2500Mhz. I'm not sure if I want to trust that as truly optimal though.