no boot at all

All I did was update to the latest official BIOS which I have done twice before and now it won't boot at all. I followed the proper procedure as posted on happy_game's sticky thread but it won't boot. It did say the flash was successful. I'm been trying to clear the CMOS over and over again to no avail. I followed ex_roadie's post about trying to get it to boot and no luck.

Basically as soon as I plug in the power cord and switch the rocker switch to the 'on' position the power supply starts making a little noise so I know it's on and working. And the power LED on the front of the case lights up green, which would normally indicate that the computer is on but it is obviously not on. No LEDs on the motherboard light up at all. Hitting the power button on the case or the one on the mobo does nothing.

I highly doubt the issue is with the PSU because what are the odds it would be working perfectly and then just die at the exact time I do a BIOS update.

Being the pessimist that I am I don't think my comp is ever going to work again without buying new stuff. Is there any way to at least salvage my data? (2 drives in raid 0) :(

You have done long cmos clear of 8hr+. Try only 1 stick of ram in orange slot furthest from cpu after long clear. Here how to test jump yor psu:http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=118964

Yea I only have one stick of RAM in it's in the top orange slot.

And umm no thanks I'm not going to kill my psu after already having killed my motherboard lol.

Using the PSU jump-start will not kill the PSU. When you push the power button on the motherboard or case you're simply completing the circuit in much the same way.

Post back what the LEDs are doing from the time you apply power to the PSU.

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

Example: If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

The lower(PCI) Amber LED is the 5VSB indicator. The upper Amber LED is the RAM voltage indicator. Once the rig has started and been shut down the RAM LED will go out until the PSU is power cycled.

So, if things aren't working inside the case it's time for a naked build.

Yank everything out and start from scratch using the build guide.

Guest Retratserif

Support wrote to me when I had this issue.

Dear customer:

1. Put CMOS jumper to the clear side (pins 2-3)

2. Remove CMOS battery

3. Unplug the power cord of the power supply

4. Use a screwdriver and short the inside metal plate of the battery holder

5. Put CMOS jumper back to normal

6. Press onboard easy power switch

7. Use a screwdriver and short the inside metal plate of the battery holder

8. Press onboard easy power switch

9. Put CMOS battery back

10. Plug power cord back

11. Make sure 24pins and 8 pins is properly connected to the motherboard and the video card is well seated firmly toward the board.

12. Start the system.

You should have at least CPU, memory and video firmly seated to the motherboard to do above test.

Tedeous but it works as good as a 48 hour clear for me. Though you do not have an onboard powe switch, but if you buttonis hooked up properly you should still be fine.

I do have an onboard power and reset switch.

Ex_roadie when I flip on the rocker switch on the back of the PSU the power light on the front of the case goes on!?! other than that there is one little yellow LED that goes on on the motherboard, it's below the bottom PCI slot, it's called LED1 or something, and it's not red it's yellow. That is the only LED that turns on.

Hitting either the power button on the mobo does absolutely nothing, no sign of movement at all.

Anyways I've got it flipped on it's side now and I'm attacking the innards so I should have this thing apart in a minute or two. Then I'm going to try what you posted retrat, even though I've already done about the same thing except without the shorting thing. I dunno if I know exactly where to stick the screwdriver.

I can't believe it.

It's the power supply.

I just hooked up my brother's Antec power supply to it and it worked. :confused:

God knows how I just completely fried my expensive power supply but thanks guys for the help because I wanted to immediately blame the motherboard and to think I was about ready to order a new one....

Well I'm definitely getting a nice new OCZ power supply this time, I guess this thermaltake was just a pos..