Sign in to follow this  
Lazerus

Prime95. Fail = what specifically?

What Im wondering is this:

Prime 95 proves stability.

So, if it fails, does that show a problem in the CPU settings ONLY, or could it also be ram settings?

What I mean is, is it an overall test, a test for cpu, or ram, or both and all?

For example I failed after 3 mins on core 1. Could it be in the mem timings? Or a cpu issue? etc..

you get the idea.

EDIT: forgot to add, it failed at only 2.25

Running at stock settings (cpu and ram) now.

Made it past the 3 minute point anyway

READ the overclocking guide stickied to the top of this forum to learn how to isolate your cpu and ram.. If your not doing this then you'll never find the source of the instability.. well you might but its alot harder..

If you are failing on small FFT setting, most likely cpu. Anything else is a crapshoot if you are not isolating cpu or ram like thunda said

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28049

try this.....he is not talking about the how to dual prime guide

this is just a starter....it might and prolly will take some time to get 100 percent stable...

on a lighter note...i need to change sig to reflect new 2.5 ghz with my elcheapo ram....still need to get some good stuff so i dont have to use a divider, but hey....its 12 hr stable.(had to get my game fix this am so i stopped it)

yeah. Thx. What I meant was I have links, copy pastes, and you name it of that guide. Been eating it for breakfast.

The title of this thread is Prime95. I had questions about that.

For example. memtest .. tests your memory. I was wondering if Prime95 JUST tests your cpu.

From the answers above, I gather it tests everything..the entire system stabilit correct?

Thank you!

I got a question. What is the most stressful test to do in Prime 95. I here some say Large FFT and some say Custom. Then others say the custom test isnt as hard on the CPU as the small FFT test.

Also I have noticed that sometimes I can pass the Small FFT for 24+ hours and then I will fail the Custom Test. Im guessing this is because of the memory controller because if I raised the CPU volts a bit more it passes for 24+ hours? Is what I am thinking correct?

Is this a good way to test?

1) set memory divider to half and test CPU using the Custom Test

if passes

2)reduce mulitplier by half on CPU and test memory using Custom Test (if memory has passed Memtest already)

if passes

3)Put the CPU and Memory to the Max values you found then test again using the Custom Test

if passes you are done

4)If it fails raise CPU voltage a bit because memory controller might need the extra voltage?