Sign in to follow this  
grasskicker509

expert wont boot anymore???

i have had my system stable for a month or so...and suddenly i can no longer boot up wheter i press the front power button or use the onboard one...the yellow LED does light up...the only

other issue i had before that was the cold boot one...but all i needed to do was turn the rocker switch off and on on the psu to resolve that issue...now i dont know what to do...i havent tried another psu yet cause i dont have one laying around...i thought i would get ideas here first...

Guest mars
i have had my system stable for a month or so...and suddenly i can no longer boot up wheter i press the front power button or use the onboard one...the yellow LED does light up...the only

other issue i had before that was the cold boot one...but all i needed to do was turn the rocker switch off and on on the psu to resolve that issue...now i dont know what to do...i havent tried another psu yet cause i dont have one laying around...i thought i would get ideas here first...

If the system powers on, start by trying the XP CD to see what state the OS is in. If you can't get here, you will need to do a long CMOS clear.

Did you save your BIOS in CMOS reloaded? You need to do a proper long CMOS clear - do a search in these forums for the full procedure. After you do this, you need to load defaults, which will clear all of your settings. Then you can load a previous BIOS.

If this doesn't work, it may be one of your components. If so, you have to rule them out one by one by replacing them - but hopefully you don't need to do this.

If you have LEDs, you assume you have power - but who knows if this is enough for your system (OC + 7900)? If there are no LEDs but it powers on and displays all of the system information - and doesn't start, it can't load from an IO device - so maybe Win XP is corrupted?

You could start by trying the XP CD.

And if it doesn't power on at all, this is definitely PSU-related.

but do the red leds go on ? or not at all?

try resitting your cards and unplugging everything that isnt nessecery, plus, take out the power cord for about 20 mins, you can even do a short clr cmos on the same time...

Guest Retratserif

Is the one LED the diag LED or the Mobo power LED?

You have not stated if you have tried a cmos clear yet. Also when you try the clear, remove all power to the case, flip psu switch too, after you set jumper to clear, and remove the battery, short out the area where the battery goes, hit the power on usign the board button, set jumper to cmos on, short again, hit power again, replace battery. Start back up with one stick of ram. My old mobo would not start up using anyting that was rated for high stock speeds, but my new one will boot using 2 gigs of pc 4000. I guess that differers.

That cmos clear was given to me from DFI support team, not the forums support. Though I believe some members are both.

Also reseating the cpu and ram may help. I only found this to work once for me.

Gluck and let us know your results.

thanks for all the info...the LED that turns on is the yellow one that is located near the pci slot...and none of the red ones turn on...there is no activity when the power button is pressed...so no chance of getting into win XP...will try the long CMOS clear...when i find out what it actually is...and when i get home later...once again thanks

got it to work!!! got home and reseated everything...plugged in psu and hit the switch and bam! got it to boot and into windows just like before...thanks to everyone for their input

What does the yellow LED at the edge of the board signify?

I've now lost 2 CPUs and just realised that this LED has not been working since before the first chip died.

The first CPU, a lovely x2 3800, seemed to degrade over a couple of months until it stopped working. Apart from a couple of boots at 1.42 vcore, it ran at 1.33v or 1.39v for that time. Initially, it was sweet at 2700... then lockups, so I ran it at 2500... then lockups, so 2300... then dead. Tried CPU in Asus. CPU dead.

I bought a Sandy 3700+ to replace it, got it last Friday. It ran sweet at stock volts, 230x11. Ran Rosetta with it. Then it too began to play up. Today, memtested at 250x11 with the Ballistix tweaked a bit. 3 hours memtest, lovely. Primed for 55 minutes, prime crashed. Then XP wouldn't boot. Switched off for a while, restarted. Fine. Ran 3DM03, looking good... then suddenly rig switched itself off. Power up again, no red LEDs, one yellow, no go. Tried CPU in an Asus. No go. Tried Expert with no components, 4 red LEDs. Therefore CPU dead.

Setup was:

DFI Expert Rev AB0

x2 3800 or SD 3700

2GB Ballistix Z503

2x 6600GT SLI

Seasonic 600W PSU

Guest Retratserif

Start a new topic man, but for now try and reseat it and do exactly what was posted above. Its good to have a fresh cmos clear when switching up some things.

Do not use any more new chips on that board though. If you know that the chips are bad now and they worked before, I would PM Happy_Games (Angry_Games). That just doesnt sound to good.

When you mean no go.. do you mean that the other system does not reconize the CPU? Or do you mean it doesnt boot into windows.

I think you need to recheck your CPU's, its hard to grasp an Expert board just fring them after working for a bit.

The other Expert board I had did pretty much the same things after little tweaking. But it never hurt my CPU. It just would shut off and not turn on even after good long cmos clears or even the shorting the battery out cmos clear. I RMA'ed it to get a either nice new board which it seems or a cleaned up refurbished one. I am completely fine if my new board was defiled in every way but works now. I have what I payed for and its doing what its supposed to do.

So if I wear you I would play with that board for a few days, testing it with other PSU's, Ram, CPU's with minimal bootable stuff attached not in a case. With a 48 cmos clear using the shorting of the battery slot as written above, and it still does not work you should really contact support for an RMA. Also create your own thread to get others opinions. This is only what I would do, and have done.

I believe the yellow light is mobo power. I mean, when I add power to the mobo, thats the first light to come on, fairly self explainitory.

Sounds like either that mobo is bad , or you are doing something completely wrong with your settings.

I've had a look round for info - it's the RAM led that hasn't been working.

I'm rather bewildered. My other Expert (an AA0) is in my Vapochill LS rig, doesn't miss a beat. The AB0 was what arrived after I RMA'd an AA0 that died in a day. I've been using it since the end of March.

I'm no stranger to these Expert mobos now, I should add. And I know that the Asus I have to check with works ok and am pretty certain that both of these CPUs have died. I simply have no idea why. How can that happen? At stock volts too. :(

Edit: when I say 'no go' with the Asus, I mean that the rig sits there like a lemon, fans running but nothing happening. On the Expert, it has one yellow LED by the PCI slots, but hitting the power button does nothing. Got the DMM out on the Asus and there's vcore and vdimm ok; it has to be the CPU.

In all cases where a CPU has died, the common components have been RAM and PSU. I reckon my Seasonic 600W intermittently blows chunks.

I've RAMed the 3700 and am getting another CoolerMaster 550W PSU; my original CM is fine with the other Expert. The new one will be the SLi version, replacing the current one which I'll use on the 3700 rig.